The Student Room Group
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David

Learning Welsh

For anyone who didn't already speak Welsh before attending:

Did you study / are you planning to study / are you studying some Welsh language as an extra curricular thing?

For anyone who learned some Welsh:

It looks super hard work, how have you found it?
Was it even remotely useful to you?

I feel like I'd regret not giving it a shot if I didn't...plus I'd feel a complete berk if I spent four years studying in another country and didn't bother to at least TRY and learn some of the language, you know?

Plus I love languages...I've studied several but have never progressed far since I've never been able to practice!

Thoughts?
I think Welsh is pretty cool but it does seem hard so good job. :smile: I never learnt the language but you gave a good idea.
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Hi. Hope you are well.
I am glad that your thinking of learning Welsh - you can ask the university when you arrive in Septemeber. I know several on my cousre has done the same and haven't regretted it.

All the best and good luck
Original post by Lord_Azael
For anyone who didn't already speak Welsh before attending:

Did you study / are you planning to study / are you studying some Welsh language as an extra curricular thing?

For anyone who learned some Welsh:

It looks super hard work, how have you found it?
Was it even remotely useful to you?

I feel like I'd regret not giving it a shot if I didn't...plus I'd feel a complete berk if I spent four years studying in another country and didn't bother to at least TRY and learn some of the language, you know?

Plus I love languages...I've studied several but have never progressed far since I've never been able to practice!

Thoughts?

So I've just finished studying at UWTSD, I have just completed my degree in Acting and I learnt a little Welsh along the way and I found it so incredibly useful! I was able to hold a general conversation and order food in shops in Welsh etc, and I think it's a really good thing to do.

There are actual Welsh classes you can go to in order for you to pick up some conversational Welsh skills and it's 100% something I would recommend! My lecturers often spoke to us in a little Welsh and I just think it's a lovely thing to do considering you are studying there for a few years! I would 100% have ago at trying the language if I were you!

I hope this has been helpful!
Gemma

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending