The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers***

J K Rowling has now said in 2 interviews that Harry might not survive at end of book 7. What do you guys think. The prophecy says that in order for Voldemort to die, Harry would have to kill him, or vice versa. However, Dumbledore could have killed Harry if he had killed Voldemort when Harry was possessed. That doesn't make sense as the prophecy says that Voldemort has to die at the hand of Harry. In this case, Harry would not have killed him.
Surely, the way in which Harry and Voldemort and Harry would both die, is surely if Harry is possessed, and Harry sacrifices himself. But then, there would not be a battle scene at the end. Therefore I'm hoping that Rowling will not kill Harry at the end.
But what do you guys reckon? Will Harry die at the end of book 7, or will J K Rowling will be kind enough to let him enjoy the aftermath of killing Voldemort?

Mod Edit
This thread is very long so if you want to go straight to the end to join in click here
Then you can get stuck in!
Ollie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hmmm...*strokes goatie*
he will wake up and it'll all be a dream.

love Katy ***
I don't know

J.K Rowling has hinted Harry's death but she also has said she has written the last chapter of book 7.

If Harry is going to die, wouldn't she cry like she did for Mr. B? Ok, she might not have mention it because it would spoil it but she seems to be happy-ish mention she has written it. I think she hinting Volodemort dies.

Also, book 5 opened up the possible (though shocking) idea that Harry may turn againist Dumbledore - he was pretty angry and Mr. B death may have turn that dark spark in him and turn it in a fire.

The way I'm thinking it that if Dumbledore had told the truth in the first place, taught him the thingy (which Snape tried to) earlier on personally then Mr. B would still be alive. Harry may end up hating Dumbledore so much.

Also to kill Volodemort, Harry would have to be very angry because to use an Unforgiveble Curse you have to really want to hurt someone. Maybe people are forcing Harry to become angry so he can kill Volodemort.

I don't know....oh god J.K ROWLING HURRY UP!! I NEED BOOK 6!!! HARRY POTTER AND THE ? MUST COME OUT SOON!!!
Reply 4
Nope,I don't reckon that buying the books and talking about them is stupid. I'm not exactly going to go out and but all of the toys, and stupid things which come with the books. Being a fan is not all about that. It's about enjoying the books. All movies and stuff have toys which come with it. The more popular a book like this or a movie is, the more likely it is for related toys and things to be brought out. So enjoy the books if you like it, and if you don't don't like it, don't call us fans of the books stupid.
Reply 5
Haven't you forgotten, Harry has already tried to use the Crucius curse, cos he was angry about the person dying. The truth is that Harry would maybe have to use the unforgivable curse to kill Voldemort. Anger alone didn't help him succeed in having the curse work properly. Is it really because he didn't mean to hurt someone as badly. Will all the anger bubble out in that last fight with Voldemort? I can't wait till the next book. I'm still wondering whether Harry will die in the last book. I don't want him to die, and think of the outrage of the people reading it if he does.
Xenon - his spell didn't work propelly.

Harry only made her fly though the air. She got up and shouted "Never use a unforgiveble curse before blah blah you have to really mean them blah blah and want to cause and like pain."

Read it more closely. His curse failed!
Reply 7
Please add the following possible answer to the question. "Oh I sure hope so"
Reply 8
Wasn't that Beatrix lady AWFUL? When I was reading the battle scene I was just WAITING for her to die. I think she may actually play a bigger part in either book 6 or 7. JK Rowling seemed to be building her up.
Which couple is better? Harry and Cho or Harry and Ginny? I want Ginny and Harry to get together! [I'm like this with TV Shows as well, I want the Nick and Sarah ppl in CSI to get together]
Ooh and who thinks Ron has a crush on Hermonie?
Originally posted by Petrozzi
Please add the following possible answer to the question. "Oh I sure hope so"
lmao :biggrin:
That woman was terrible.

I bet Longbottom will become stronger and stronger and then try and kill her because of what she did to his parents. But he'll die.

Sorry, but he isn't the best wizard and though improving he will never be as good as Hermione, Harry, Ron or Ginny (if the Weasley twins think she is powerful - she must be!).

I don't think Ron would be pleased about Ginny seeing Harry. After all, he appers to hate the idea of Ginny having boyfriends. Then again, he is the only one out of Hemione, Harry and him that has never kissed. Hermione and Krum must have kissed in book 4.

Although, what about Ginny and Malfoy? (ok never will happen unless he puts her under a spell) Ron would be pretty mad.

Harry and Cho will never happen because he doesn't fancy her now (thank god!). Maybe Harry and Hermione may go out.

I need book six!

I wish there was an a level in Harry Potter - I'd fly it on a firebolt!
Reply 11
Yay I can finally cast my vote, a big thank you to the Poll starter:smile:
HEY!

THIS IS MY GUESS OF WHAT WILL HAPPEN, I HAVE A FEW THEORIES, YOU CAN REPLY ON THEM IF YOU WANT...

1) Harry will fight Voldemort and kill him, but before Voldemort dies, he will, during their duel, do something to harry that will make him die soon, like a slow-uncurable-poison, and so Voldemort will die first, harry will die after that but know that he has completed his vengence for his parents.

2) same thing but Dumbledore will perform a sacred ritual or something that will save harry

3) There will be an 8th book

4) Harry will kill voldemort and live happy ever after with Ginny/Hermione and ron with Hermione/someone else.

Reply......
Peace out.........
AIM = Tyler91787
8th book? What?

Sorry but no 8th book because

1) J.K Rowling wants Harry out of her life
2) There are only 7 years at Hogwarts
3) I said so
4) I couldn't stand the wait - jesus when is the 6th book coming out.
5) If there is an 8th book, Harry will be all grown up and hopefully having sex (though his lover may go to the press saying if he is any good or not) and it is suppose to be a children's book!
Reply 14
As I said in my thread discussing the results of hp and predictions etc- I wreckon there was a bit of hinting about and harry and luna at the end of 5...ron blatently still likes hermione so will they be getting together next time? who knows...

anyway- seems inevitable that there will be many deaths before the end...I hope not fred or george! although might happen to mrs weesley? - I have just thought about it and no one really seems to consider her...there are so many weesleys- hmmm...and then there's magonagle *ignor all my spelling*...hmmm...just have to wait and see I supose- she has already started 6
Reply 15
I keep wondering if Harry will die by Voldemort possessing him again, but that won't really be a showdown b/w Voldemort and harry will it? So I'm guessing that that won't happen.
Do you guys think that this is the last showdown between Voldemort and Dumbledore? And will J K Rowling write about Dumbledore saving Harry's life again. In the 5th book, it's the first time he really did so. Also do you reckon that Lupin will feature more in the next few books. I really like the character.
I'm sure that J K Rowling will want to end the series with a bang. I'm just running out of ideas as to how she can do that while killing off Harry and Voldemort.
I still reckon that Harry will end up with Ginny, but how would Ron react. I'm sure he trusts Harry more than the other guys Ginny's gone out with. Well who knows.
I wonder, if J K Rowling had a new girl or boy come to school who is not in the first year, would he/she be sorted with the first years?
Reply 16
Aargh guys. Really sorry about that. My computer was real slow, so I reckoned that continuing to press post reply would speed it up. My mistake.
folks, i've been listening, and I'm curious - did anyone read the prophecy carefully? i've got a theory - it's a working one, no doubt, but I just had to vent it somewhere - my wife hasn't read book 5 yet.

Remember dumbledore talking about harry and neville being born in the same month? What if the prophecy really is about neville, not Harry? "marked him as ... equal" could mean figuratively - that is to say, it could mean that voldemort marked neville by what he did to neville's parents - remember - voldemort killed his own parents, no? JKR seems to be building up neville, and you know her penchant for red herrings... I can't think of a more mind-blowing twist than that, can you? just wondering what you think - harry may die - BAM - [dark side wins] but then neville may defeat voldemort - BAM - good guys win and all realize that neville is the boy mentioned in the prophecy! This could explain everything and tie it up neatly.

What do you think?!

PR
Reply 18
The thing is that Neville is not equal to Voldemort; Voldemort is half muggle born as is Harry. However, I reckon that Neville's character is being built up, which I'm glad about. To be honest, Neville won't be as great a wizard as Harry, and I'm not so sure that he would be a threat to Voldemort. Harry would be the only one strong enough to beat him. Remember Harry asking why Voldemort couldn't just wait to see who's stronger, well Harry is evidently the stronger.
However, Neville is coming into his own now. He's someone who Harry can properly trust more. He's trusting, loyal, and also brave. He would neer give up, and in that way he's probably like his parents. His character is developing, and he probably will continue to help out harry in the future. But he won't kill Voldemort, I don't think.
i get your gist, but still disagree. it would be just like jkr to put a word like "equal" in there and allow everybody to interpret it the same way - only to be wrong. Ask yourself this - if dumbledore knows what he thinks he knows, where's the surprise? No, I think jkr is setting up an ending that not even dumbledore would have predicted. that might eventually be his own undoing... The prophecy never said that they would actually BE equal either.

Notice, it said only that vold. would mark him as that. He could have marked neville as an equal by attacking his parents, or in some other way. Notice also that neville is becoming quite adept at using defense magic - with the help of harry. He has two more books to improve even more. No, I remain convinced that the greatest twist of all will be that, when readers fininsh book 7 they will realize that the whole series might as well be entitled Neville Longbottom as opposed to Harry Potter.

harry did ask why vold. didn't wait to see who was stronger. remember what dumbledore said? he said that that may have been the more prudent thing to have done, but that vold. didn't do it. By the way, the prophecy talks about the boy having powers that "the dark lord knows not." What powers does Harry have that vold. doesn't know about, really? none. who might have powers that vold. doesn't know about? neville. just food for thought.

PR

Latest

Trending

Trending