The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I don't think that Neville can be the one who the prophecy is about for the single reason that he bears no mark. The prophecy clearly stated that the person who will kill voldemort would be marked. When Voldemort decided to kill Harry & his family, he made the choice that Harry would be the "chosen one" as it were.

I still don't understand why he tried to kill Harry and not Neville though. Surely a person as evil as him would have tried to kill both?
I dont think harry will die though the book is growing into a book for more mature readers, i think she wants good to overcome in the end. I think neville will be a more prominent character in the upcoming books but will not become stronger than harry. In the end of book 5 Dumbldore talks Voldemorts weakness of how he thinks death is the most powerful thing and that the thing that he doesnt have and hates is something that harry has and it is what saves him, heart. It is also in the room of the department of mysteries which is full of it, the door that harry couldnt enter. I think Voldemort will die from something that has to do with goodness, love, and heart and with a mixture of ancient magic, which also is something he often forgets, not a curse that gives death b/c, as said before, he is beyond death.

*Amanda*
Originally posted by Xenon

We still do not know where the Potters got all that money from. I hope that J K Rowling clears that up in the next book.

Easy!! They had some money in the bank. For 11 years no-body touched a kunt so all that interest would have made the fortune Harry has.

Or

Suggestion One ^ and people donated money to Harry to say thanks for getting rid of you know who and provide him with a future.

Or Suggestion One and Dumbledore put a bit of his pay in per month, so Harry would have some money for the future.

Or The Potters had well paid jobs and when they died they had a lot in the bank and the interest built it up

Or they won the Wizard Lottery
Hey Guys!!

I think all of ya's are pointing at the same thing that Neville is getting more better at his defence magic only from the help of Harry! Another thing is also that the prophecy said a boy would be born at the end of the 7th month to parents who have survived Voldemort 3 times and that he will be marked by the Dark Lord and he will make him his equal and will have powers that the Dark Lord knows not but what you are missing is that Voldemort killed Harry's parents personally before he tried to kill Harry but the spell back fired leaving Harry with a mark which proves to be his scar and which also says that Harry is Voldemort's equal but Voldemort did not kill Neville's parents, Neville's parents were tortuted into insanity by Bellatrix Lestrange! So what will happen is Neville will duel with Bellatrix and Harry will duel with Voldemort! Also another thing to happen is the Centaur's have predictaed that a war between good and evil will happen! Also all of the Weasley's will be back along with Oliver Wood to help Dumbledore! Lupin and the Order of the Phenoix will also be back! Lupin will take over as godfather for Harry! Siruis Black is actually presumed not to be dead but trapped and needs rescuing from the veil! The Ministry will help Dumbledore against Voldemort! Snape is working for both Dumbledore and Voldemort! He is spying for both of them but is on Dumbledore's side! Lupin and Harry's father James are suppose to have preformed a spell to swicth bodies so when Voldemort killed Harry's father he actually killed Lupin! And the part everyone's asking about is what will happen with Harry and Cho and Ron and Hermione, well the answer is Harry is going to be in a love triangle with Cho and Ginny and Hermione will be in a love triangle with Rona nd Viktor Krum! Viktor comes back when he hears there is a war about to begin so he comes over to rescue Hermione but does she need rescuing??

So there's all the information I have!! Will Harry hook up with either Cho or Ginny? Will he kill Voldemort or will he be killed himself? We'll just have to wait for book 6? Which maybe won't be out for another 3 years!!
Weren't you paying attention to the locked room in the department of mysteries?
It contains love, compassion, ect. Harry is full of that and that's what saved him from Voldemort's possession in the Atrium. That' s the power he has that Voldemort doesn't. Love is something Tom doesn't know and won't give credence too. He thinks it's weak.
That is what he will use to defeat Voldemort, not a curse of death, but a curse of love. To someone who doesn't believe in love to be filled with love, instead of hate, would be torture indeed.
Ok then Harry Potter,

Assuming for a moment that you do in fact have a copy of Book Six in your possession, how does the storyline develop? What earth shattering revelations does J K Rowling spring on us unsuspecting readers this time?
Reply 86
Originally posted by Unregistered
Hey Guys!!

I think all of ya's are pointing at the same thing that Neville is getting more better at his defence magic only from the help of Harry! Another thing is also that the prophecy said a boy would be born at the end of the 7th month to parents who have survived Voldemort 3 times and that he will be marked by the Dark Lord and he will make him his equal and will have powers that the Dark Lord knows not but what you are missing is that Voldemort killed Harry's parents personally before he tried to kill Harry but the spell back fired leaving Harry with a mark which proves to be his scar and which also says that Harry is Voldemort's equal but Voldemort did not kill Neville's parents, Neville's parents were tortuted into insanity by Bellatrix Lestrange! So what will happen is Neville will duel with Bellatrix and Harry will duel with Voldemort! Also another thing to happen is the Centaur's have predictaed that a war between good and evil will happen! Also all of the Weasley's will be back along with Oliver Wood to help Dumbledore! Lupin and the Order of the Phenoix will also be back! Lupin will take over as godfather for Harry! Siruis Black is actually presumed not to be dead but trapped and needs rescuing from the veil! The Ministry will help Dumbledore against Voldemort! Snape is working for both Dumbledore and Voldemort! He is spying for both of them but is on Dumbledore's side! Lupin and Harry's father James are suppose to have preformed a spell to swicth bodies so when Voldemort killed Harry's father he actually killed Lupin! And the part everyone's asking about is what will happen with Harry and Cho and Ron and Hermione, well the answer is Harry is going to be in a love triangle with Cho and Ginny and Hermione will be in a love triangle with Rona nd Viktor Krum! Viktor comes back when he hears there is a war about to begin so he comes over to rescue Hermione but does she need rescuing??

So there's all the information I have!! Will Harry hook up with either Cho or Ginny? Will he kill Voldemort or will he be killed himself? We'll just have to wait for book 6? Which maybe won't be out for another 3 years!!

where r u getting ur info from? it sounds as thought your very confident about what's going to happen... hmmmmmm.. are u sure ur not jkr visiting this website & dropping red herring 2 unsuspecting readers? :wink:
Reply 87
Originally posted by tweetsy85
I still don't understand why he tried to kill Harry and not Neville though. Surely a person as evil as him would have tried to kill both?

I think I can answer my own question now!! Voldemort couldn't have killed both Neville & Harry even if he was intending to for the pure reason that after he had a go at killing Harry, he was too powerless to do anything else!
Reply 88
id never really thought about neville properly, i would guess on him and harry becoming more and more similar, but i fear harry may die :frown:
why is everybody thinking about harry and ron and hermoine hooking up with people..it doesn't make sense in a series like harry potter...the hook ups and going out ideas are taking over peoples opinions and the plot of the story...i love the books but i admit that i don't read to closely to those love scense becauce it will mess up the preseption of the book...thats my opinion
just posting to make an opinion.....remember back when harry was born ..and voldemort killed his parents...how come he could not kill harry....no one knows...he then "marked" harry as his equal knowing that he could not not kill him because he was just as powerful..thats what i think..and don't be worried to explode in my face with a different opinion don't mind at all
this is enough...I SERIOUSLY NEED TO POINT SOMETHING OUT!
DID THE PROPHECY NOT SAY THAT THE PARENTS WERE KILLED BY THE DARK LORD AFTER ESCAPING HIM 3 TIMES ....HELLO! NEVILLES PARENTS WERE TORTURED TO DEATH BY BELLATRIX LESTRANGE!!!!!NOT THE DARK LORD!!!.....LEAVING HARRY AS THE ONLY WE KNOW OF THAT FITS THE PROPHECY
Many people are forgetting the fact that neville doesn't even fit the prophecy simply for the fact, that someone stated earlier, that voldemort didn't mark him as his equal. Voldemort actually was the one that killed harry's parents, and voldemort was the one that personally tried to kill harry. It obviously had to be pretty darn important to voldemort to do harm to the potter's enough for him to do the durty work, not one of his death eaters. Voldemort obviously saw harry as an equal if he was going out of his way to do the job. By the way as far as i'm concerned THE PROPHECY DID NOT SAY THAT THE PARENTS HAD TO BE KILLED BY VOLDEMORT, ONLY THAT THE PARENTS HAD TO HAVE DEFIED BOLDEMORT THREE TIMES. Many people are confusing the two. Also on the possibility of harry being killed at the end of the series, i'm not so sure. Of course it is a possibility, as well is a lot of things. In the world of harry potter no one can be for sure, that is except for j.k. As far as her hints are concerned, i only think that she was implying that anything is a possibility and that we shouldn't be so sure on anything. If you are still concerned that harry will die, look at my reasoning this way. Since when has j.k. put out such a valuable piece of information. It took her forever for her to even tell us the name of the fifth book, she would never go as far as telling us that harry was going to die. She is to determined to keep everything as secret as possible. She only wants us to keep guessing. Mainly because as all of us know (at least all of us who will admit it) we can guess all we want, and we can try and put all of the clues together that we can, but most of the time, we are wrong, and no one can ever be certain until the next book is put out, and until then, all we can do is wait (as they say in titanic), wait for an absolution that will never come, at least until we have book six and seven safely in our grasps.
Has no one considered the mere fact that neville wasn't the one spoken about in the prophecy for the mere fact that, um I don't know, his name wasn't on it. Wouldn't it be obvious that if it was talking about him it would have his name instead of harry's. I mean come on! Isn't that obvious! They said that if anyone tried to get the prophecy and it wasn't meant for them that they would be driven into insanity. I know that there was a question mark next to harry's name, but if they seriously thought that it could be neville wouldn't his name be on it to. And since it wasn't, neville can't fight voldemort if he is insane now can he.
And by the way, as far as the first two posts on page five, I couldn't have said it better myself.
I was wondering, how old is voldemort anyway, i mean in book two, harry went back 50 years to see tom's 16 year old self. That would make him like almost 70. Is he really that old? I always like to picture him around Sirius, Lupin, James, and Lily's age. Obviously he isn't. So was he like laying low for like maybe twenty years before he decided to kill everyone? Just a thought.
Reply 95
just posting to make an opinion.....remember back when harry was born ..and voldemort killed his parents...how come he could not kill harry....no one knows...he then "marked" harry as his equal knowing that he could not not kill him because he was just as powerful..thats what i think..and don't be worried to explode in my face with a different opinion don't mind at all

Have you forgotten about the whole 'mother dying for love of son' thingy that was the explanation we were given...that's what it says in the books :smile:

and...

I was wondering, how old is voldemort anyway, i mean in book two, harry went back 50 years to see tom's 16 year old self. That would make him like almost 70. Is he really that old? I always like to picture him around Sirius, Lupin, James, and Lily's age. Obviously he isn't. So was he like laying low for like maybe twenty years before he decided to kill everyone? Just a thought.

I know...it seems a little bizarre....and Hagrid is that age too- which doesn't seem to fit really- well I don't imagone him being 60/70 odd!
And then there's the weaslys- how old are they supposed to be?
Originally posted by Egan1
Have you forgotten about the whole 'mother dying for love of son' thingy that was the explanation we were given...that's what it says in the books :smile:

and...

I know...it seems a little bizarre....and Hagrid is that age too- which doesn't seem to fit really- well I don't imagone him being 60/70 odd!
And then there's the weaslys- how old are they supposed to be?

Hagrid is a few years younger than Tom, in the book, Hagrid was expelled in his 3rd year. Tom was in year 6 or 7 or something. Anyway he wasnt Hagrids age :wink:

Have you forgotten about the whole 'mother dying for love of son' thingy that was the explanation we were given...that's what it says in the books

exactly my point voldemort still COULD NOT kill harry why?? because love was put into him..which is something voldemort knows not that is the power that harry has that vold doesn't ...LOVE
Reply 98
Ah yes...but that's still 60-odd isn't it...thinking about it I wouldn't really be able to say how old I thought him to be...but that just doesn;t seem right
Think, people!!! You guys are so hung up on the "marked as equal" thing being the scar. Which could be exactly what jkr wants! Give it a rest - quit saying stuff like "it's so obvious!" Obviously, it's not! Or you wouldn't have such disagreement going on! Especially Xenon. Talk about shouting people down! Every time someone suggests something Xenon doesn't agree with, Xenon rants and raves about how rediculous the idea is - this is a forum - not a dictatorship.

Now, back to Harry Potter. What, do you think, would be the point of putting Harry and Neville to be born in the same month, then? What's the significance? JKR didn't do it by acident - she never does anything by accident. Again - I'll say it again for the hard-heads - "marked as equal" does not neccesarily mean by a scar! It does not neccesarily mean parseltongue!! It does not neccesarily mean powers! It's an open possibility, guys! By the way, the prophecy doesn't say anything about Vold. killing the parents of the one who could defeat him. Sorry, but it doesn't. The whole point of a forum like this is to get each other to think past your preconceptions - not to force your ideas on others.

By the way, you have to remember that Neville figured prominently in the destruction of the prophecy - was even there when it broke! Did he go insane? Nope. Why do you suppose? Hmmmm... Did Harry even hear it? Nope. So, he wouldn't have gone insane, even if it wasn't about him, would he? Just some food for thought, guys! AND, for all of you who argue Neville can't improve that much in just a few years, remember - Harry defeated Vold. for the first time after only his first year at Hogwarts. AND, remember that in book 5 it says that Neville became as good at DADA (in Dumbledore's army) as Herm'y.

So, it all comes down to this - "marked as equal" does not neccesarily mean "scar." Period. In fact, Vold. has no such scar. Neither, does HArry possess all the power that Vold has, so Harry's NOT Vold's equal - at least as far as magical power goes... So, "equal" could mean something else - anything else, in fact.

PR

Latest

Trending

Trending