The Student Room Group

Media Studies - Academic or Vocational?

Hey all,

I'm having a bit of trouble refining my course choices and am in a bit of a tizz since this week is the deadline for my UCAS form! Basically, I know I want to study Media at university (not Journalism) but am not sure whether to opt for a vocational degree (i.e Production) or an academic (i.e Communications) degree. I've been reading recently that most employers value vocational skills over theoretical knowledge, however the academic degrees seem to offer a broader scope and more experience in management and other practical abilities.

Modesty aside, I'm very good at Media Studies at A-Level and reckon I could handle either type of degree, I just want to choose one that will land me with a decent Media-based degree a year after leaving uni, at the latest. Academically I can handle the theory and research, but I'm also very interested in certain elements of the vocational courses, such as interactive media and graphic design (but I'm not looking for a degree in film studies). Ideally I'm looking for a mix, or perhaps I should do an academic Batchelors and follow it up with a vocational Masters? Or vice-versa?

Grr, it's doing my head in.

Anyway, these are my choices so far:
Film, Media and Cultural Studies - Cardiff
Interactive Media Production - Bournemouth
Communication and Media - "
" " " - UCE Birmingham
" , Media and Society - Leicester

Any advice please guys and girls?

Latest

Trending

Trending