The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i must say that you get the impression just from the NOC and such that it is really oceanography centred which puts people off. It put me off but i applied with southampton as my last choice and then i got invited for a visit and ended up putting it as my firm!

Anyway, you might want to look at leicester too. I've heard that it's quite good from the people i've talked to at open days and things although i wouldn't be able to comment myself because i haven't been there and i haven't looked at where they are on the rankings either.
Reply 21
Jessrocks86

Bristol - very palaeo orientated...no structure / proper mineralogy

Actually, Bristol is very 'rounded'. Sure there are lots of optional palaeo units but there are also lots of others you can choose from including structure/mineralogy after the core units you have to take. Most of the palaeo stuff is for the Msc course they offer anyway.....
Reply 22
Geology at Aberdeen, which is ranked 11th by The Independent and 16th according to The Times.

Also, Aberdeen + (Petroleum) Geology Degree + Oil = £££ :biggrin:

I'm doing environmental geology at royal holloway, they've just started branching out in the single honours, they now offer straight geology, environmental, planetary, or petroleum geology. Plus a few joint honours courses and the masters courses.
Reply 24
I'm going to Southampton to do Geology with Oceanography, and the course looks amazing.

I applied for Southampton, Plymouth, Leicester and Bangor. Southampton is easily the best to go to if you want to go into any aspect of marine geology, since they have the National Oceangraphy Centre down there which has a very good reputation. Southampton are ocean science based, even for geology degrees BUT they do everything that Bristol and Leeds do as well. I think you get a very good knowledge base with the Soton degree, but of course, I'm biased.

Plymouth is definately worth looking at, don't be put off by the low entrance requirements, they have a very good reputation and some world class lecturers. They offer a very similar degree to Soton. I know quite a lot of lecturers in geology at various universities and all of them have recommended Plymouth.

Imperial College - VERY good degree course. If you are interested in mineralogy or anything to do with mining then Imperial is worth looking at.

It depends what your grades are likely to be. Mine were crap, way below Soton's entrance requirements, but still got in. Soton are relatively lenient (but don't rely on that!). If your grades are not likely to be at Imperial's standards, then seriously, Plymouth and Bangor still offer very good courses and are respected universities in their field.
Reply 25
I can see you are looking at generally southern universities but if you don't mind a bit of a trek Edinburgh has a very active geology department. They have good teaching and research and ask for BBB...
Reply 26
dd1989
Also, Aberdeen + (Petroleum) Geology Degree + Oil = £££ :biggrin:

Yeah, for a decade or two before it runs out.
Reply 27
LH123
Yeah, for a decade or two before it runs out.

There's plenty of stories of graduates earning over 200k within a few years of graduating working in oil, 20 years at that level and you won't give a fook what happens after that, you'll be loaded!
Reply 28
dd1989
There's plenty of stories of graduates earning over 200k within a few years of graduating working in oil, 20 years at that level and you won't give a fook what happens after that, you'll be loaded!

And i thought geologists and geographers were supposed to care about the planet :frown:
Reply 29
LH123
And i thought geologists and geographers were supposed to care about the planet :frown:

:biggrin: As if!

Latest

Trending

Trending