The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Best hospitality management programme

Which would be a better place to study a hospitality management programme.... university of surrey or Oxford brookes.... also considering HTMI & shms in Switzerland.. Which is the best?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Payalgarg
Which would be a better place to study a hospitality management programme.... university of surrey or Oxford brookes.... also considering HTMI & shms in Switzerland.. Which is the best?

Easy. Don't waste your time with either. Go work your way up in hospitality in the real world.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Hiya

It's great to hear that you're thinking about coming to Oxford Brookes to study hospitality management! :smile:

I just thought I'd give you a bit of information about the course at Oxford Brookes :biggrin:

The Oxford Brookes School of Hospitality Management is ranked in the top 3 in the world! We focus on delivering a very high quality student experience, based around a top-quality academic programme and extraordinary co-curricular activities. These activities have included a social enterprise field trip to Kenya, and a culinary field trip to New Orleans!

We also have the Bacchus mentoring programme, which is unique in the sector, linking final-year undergraduate and postgraduate students with senior, experienced figures from the international hospitality and tourism industry. This is designed to help you enhance your employability and connections in the sector. You can find out more about it here.

You can also browse our School of Hospitality Management webpage for more information :smile:

Let me know if you have any more specific questions, or if you'd like to know a bit about living and studying in Oxford!

Alice :smile:

Hey @Payalgarg,

When trying to work out which university you'd like to study at, I would recommend looking at the modules offered in each course, and comparing them to see which interests you more. You can find a list of the modules on the International Hospitality Management course page on our website, here. If you click on the module you'll be taken to a page describing that module :smile:

Surrey has a fantastic reputation in the world of Hospitality. Our School of Hospitality and Tourism Management was recently named as 5th overall in the world by the QS World University Rankings, as well as being Number 1 in both the Guardian University Guide and the Complete University Guide's 2017 rankings. Our placement programme helps our students graduate with a year of experience already under their belt, and we have over 2,300 partners in industry across the world, so you could even gain international experience! Often, placement students are offered a graduate job at the end of their placement if they’ve impressed their employer. This really takes the pressure off in your final year as you can focus on studying for your exams and doing your coursework instead of job hunting.

As part of the programme, you will be part of the team running our campus-based Lakeside Restuarant. You'll devise menus, manage finances, prepare advertising materials and also cook and serve food. We also offer the chance to study and work abroad. You can find out more information about this on the course page for International Hospitality Management, which I've linked you to in the first paragraph of this reply :smile:

Have you visited both the universities? If not, I would suggest having a tour around campus and exploring the local area to make sure you’d be happy to live in whichever place you intend to study at if you can. We run weekly campus tours on Wednesdays which leave Senate House at 1pm and last about an hour. If you can’t make a campus tour, you’re free to come do a self-guided tour. And if you're not able to physically come to the campus, you can download a virtual tour here. In addition to that, if you’d like to speak to a member of the teaching team on the course then that can usually be arranged (depending on the academic’s availability) :smile: If you contact the Admissions team ([email protected]) they’ll be able to put you in touch with an academic who will be happy to answer any questions you have about the course .

If you’ve got any questions about life at uni, the facilities, Students’ Union, and Guidlford in general then feel free to ask I was an undergrad student at Surrey from 2012-2015 :biggrin:

All the best,

Ashley
Reply 4
I'm wondering why Les Roches Global Hospitality Education isn't on your list. You should definitely consider it among the options you've mentioned. The school has decades-long history, impressive graduates' employment rate and practice-oriented programs with great internships and inter-campus transfer opportunities. On QS World University Rankings, Les Roches proudly ranks among top 3 schools worldwide for employer reputation (not surprising, as such brands as Hilton, Kempinski, Valentino, Louis Vuitton and others recruit from Les Roches) and among top 3 Swiss hospitality management schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending