The Student Room Group
Original post by qasidb
(Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum, couldn't find an appropriate place to put it.)

Moved to Learning to drive :cry:
Original post by qasidb
(Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum, couldn't find an appropriate place to put it.)

Has anyone done a driving test from Bromley Court test centre? I was just wondering how your test was and what route they put you on? Any other helpul info would be greatly appreciated as well.

Visit the test centre. I don't know anything about Bromley TC but most test centres have a staff room next to the waiting room. Just knock on the door and have a chat with the examiners. They could tell you the routes, what you need to do etc, they might even let you look at their route maps and list of possible routes.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi qasidb, I'm looking for the same. None seems to have much detail about driving routes in Bromley Court. I was also willing to find pass rates too. As it is a temporary center none seems to care to give much information or help. Did you do your test already or found out info about it? Many thanks in advance
Reply 4
Original post by aniloqui
Hi qasidb, I'm looking for the same. None seems to have much detail about driving routes in Bromley Court. I was also willing to find pass rates too. As it is a temporary center none seems to care to give much information or help. Did you do your test already or found out info about it? Many thanks in advance

I think it's because it's a relatively new test centre (opened on January 31st) that's why there's little information about it.

Yes I did my test and passed it first time thank God.
Reply 5
Original post by qasidb
I think it's because it's a relatively new test centre (opened on January 31st) that's why there's little information about it.

Yes I did my test and passed it first time thank God.

Wow! congrats!! I wish I can do it first time too... I have it in a few weeks and I'm a bit nervous about it.
I've been practicing in the area. It scares me that the centre is on top of a hill and I'm still not managing to turn into that road slowly.

Did you find the test too complicated?
Reply 6
Wow! congrats!! I wish I can do it first time too... I have it in a few weeks and I'm a bit nervous about it.
I've been practicing in the area. It scares me that the centre is on top of a hill and I'm still not managing to turn into that road slowly.

Did you find the test too complicated?

Ah yes, that steep road that leads to the test centre. I hated going down that road if I had to turn right at the end of it, since quite often it's pretty busy. That's what I had to do during my test but because it was just before 10.30 am, it wasn't busy so I could just breeze through.

The test was fine, although it occurred on a route that I'd never been on before! I can't blame my instructor though, the route must just have been a new one the examiner decided to do.

This is as much of the route that I could remember after going on to Google Street View to properly jog my memory:
We left the exam centre and turned right and then left down that narrow road but before we could reach the end, he asked me to pull up. He said that when I resume driving, he wants me to turn right and follow the road signs towards Beckenham. So I did that all the way up until we got to the crossroad of Bromley Road, Manor Road and Wickham Road. Just before reaching this crossroad, he told me to follow the road signs to Croydon which meant I had to go straight on to Manor Road. At the end of Manor Road there was a diversion which said I had to turn right on to the High Street. The road signs for Croydon told me to go left so I had to turn left at the traffic lights on to Rectory Road. Then I had to keep going down this road until just before I reached the roundabout he told me to follow the road sign to Penge (3rd exit). I took the exit and went down the road and eventually came across a mini-roundabout and he told me to turn right (3rd exit) and on to Hayne Road. (I was on the absolute brink of stalling while I was turning right since the speed that I slowed down to was too low for 2nd gear but I forgot to change down to 1st! There were cars on the mini-roundabout and if I stalled then I would've failed instantly.) On this road he asked me to pull up and do a parallel park manoeuvre. After this I forgot where I went but we took a lot of lefts and rights and he asked me to pull up again maybe 2 or 3 times more (one of them was on a hill so I had to do a hill start), and before I knew it I eventually had to turn into London Road (the big main road outside the exam centre) and very shortly thereafter back to where I started.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by qasidb
Ah yes, that steep road that leads to the test centre. I hated going down that road if I had to turn right at the end of it, since quite often it's pretty busy. That's what I had to do during my test but because it was just before 10.30 am, it wasn't busy so I could just breeze through.

The test was fine, although it occurred on a route that I'd never been on before! I can't blame my instructor though, the route must just have been a new one the examiner decided to do.

This is as much of the route that I could remember after going on to Google Street View to properly jog my memory:
We left the exam centre and turned right and then left down that narrow road but before we could reach the end, he asked me to pull up. He said that when I resume driving, he wants me to turn right and follow the road signs towards Beckenham. So I did that all the way up until we got to the crossroad of Bromley Road, Manor Road and Wickham Road. Just before reaching this crossroad, he told me to follow the road signs to Croydon which meant I had to go straight on to Manor Road. At the end of Manor Road there was a diversion which said I had to turn right on to the High Street. The road signs for Croydon told me to go left so I had to turn left at the traffic lights on to Rectory Road. Then I had to keep doing down this road until just before I reached the roundabout he told me to follow the road sign to Penge (3rd exit). I took the exit and went down the road and eventually came across a mini-roundabout and he told me turn right (3rd exit) and on to Hayne Road. (I was on the absolute brink of stalling while I was turning right since the speed that I slowed down to was too low for 2nd gear but I forgot to change down 1st. There were cars on the mini-roundabout and if I stalled then I would've failed instantly.) On this road he asked me to pull up and do a parallel park manoeuvre. After this I forgot where I went but we took a lot of lefts and rights and he asked me to pull up again maybe 2 or 3 times more (one of them was on a hill so I had to do a hill start), and before I knew it I eventually had to turn into London Road (the big main road outside the exam centre) and very shortly thereafter back to where I started.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you so much, this is so valuable! I will print it tomorrow so I can use it as reference for my practice this Saturday!

I just have one more question: most roads in Bromley were I;ve been are 30mph and some 20mph. During the exam did you take any on a different speed? I'm not from the area as I live in Greenwich where most roads are 20mph, I think there is nothing above that but I would like to know to be prepared.

I don't think I can thank you enough for the detailed description you gave me about the roads you've been too. Many thanks!!! Ana
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Thank you so much, this is so valuable! I will print it tomorrow so I can use it as reference for my practice this Saturday!

I just have one more question: most roads in Bromley were I;ve been are 30mph and some 20mph. During the exam did you take any on a different speed? I'm not from the area as I live in Greenwich where most roads are 20mph, I think there is nothing above that but I would like to know to be prepared.

I don't think I can thank you enough for the detailed description you gave me about the roads you've been too. Many thanks!!! Ana

They were either 20 or 30 mph. None above 30 mph (so in my entire time driving from the lessons to the test, I almost never went above 3rd gear. I think I went on 4th gear once but it was only for a few seconds, haha.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by qasidb
They were either 20 or 30 mph. None above 30 mph (so in my entire time driving from the lessons to the test, I almost never went above 3rd gear. I think I went on 4th gear once but it was only for a few seconds, haha.)

Yes! that's the maximum speed I've been driving there. I've used the instructions on Saturday. It's funny, I drive all the way down from Greenwich to Bromley with no mistakes and as soon as I get there I start making all the stupid mistakes..not sure why, probably because I'm less relaxed once I get there as I know there is were I will do the exam.
Anyway...let's see how it goes. Thanks a lot for your comments, are very useful!!
Being a resident on Coniston Road, the road within which Bromley Court Hotel exists and a representative of the majority of residents, we can honestly tell anyone reading this blog, that it has caused havoc and mayhem for all of us. We have experienced unprecedented increased volume of traffic on our very small, residential road, causing increased pollution and the reason many of our cars have been scratched and damaged. Our environment has been ruined and whilst we all understand people must learn how to drive, we urge anyone reading this to insist that the centre be relocated on a commercial road. We have not been duly consulted, nor our plight to have it moved considered. Please, please make as many people aware of the issues we are facing - as we would ask anyone else living on a small suburban road, whether they would like to witness the onslaught of cars and pollution at all hours of the day - 7 days a week.
Original post by Lee Morrison
Being a resident on Coniston Road, the road within which Bromley Court Hotel exists and a representative of the majority of residents, we can honestly tell anyone reading this blog, that it has caused havoc and mayhem for all of us. We have experienced unprecedented increased volume of traffic on our very small, residential road, causing increased pollution and the reason many of our cars have been scratched and damaged. Our environment has been ruined and whilst we all understand people must learn how to drive, we urge anyone reading this to insist that the centre be relocated on a commercial road. We have not been duly consulted, nor our plight to have it moved considered. Please, please make as many people aware of the issues we are facing - as we would ask anyone else living on a small suburban road, whether they would like to witness the onslaught of cars and pollution at all hours of the day - 7 days a week.

Write to your MP, this isn't the place especially an old thread...

Latest

Trending

Trending