The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Matthew2007
£107??? What were you reading?????

I have a student card too...but they still seem to charge for EVERYTHING (like reserving a book they have!). Only difference between a student one and adult one is that borrowing a CD is half-price. No difference for vids or DVD's though...

1985 - Anthony Burgess
Utopia - Sir Thomas More
Erewhon - Samuel Butler
The Waste Land and other poems - T.S. Eliot
Collected Works - John Donne
Brave New World and Brave New World Revisited - Aldous Huxley
The Trial - Franz Kafka

As you can see, I was going for a bit of a dystopian / utopian feel with some poetry thrown in there. :wink: Ah well, I'll take them all back this week, even though I want to steal the Burgess one because it's now out of print.

I love libraries though, free stuff is great! :biggrin:
nosnibor

I love libraries though, free stuff is great! :biggrin:

I really should go to the library more- I've spent a fortune on buying books. grrr...
So how's The Waste Land? I've bought it but haven't found the time to read it yet.
Reply 182
silver_charm
So how's The Waste Land? I've bought it but haven't found the time to read it yet.

Well, I've only read the first two sections of it (it's in five parts - think they're called cantos but not sure!) and I had to do that with a guide to it next to me. It's about a land where the people are infertile so it's bleak and full of religious imagery. Once you dedicate some time to it though, you start to understand it and see the brilliance! Kind of like Ulysses by James Joyce.
nosnibor
It's about a land where the people are infertile so it's bleak and full of religious imagery.

Wow! I definitely have to give it a try- I like everything that is bleak. And imageries! Actually I've read the first stanza (or is it the first page? can't quite remember)- I liked what I read, but I do think I need a guide. :smile:
And shame I haven't read Ulysses, though I've begun reading The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and a few poems he wrote- they're quite good methink.
Reply 184
silver_charm
And shame I haven't read Ulysses, though I've begun reading The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and a few poems he wrote- they're quite good methink.

I'm doing Dubliners for my coursework so am trying to read both A Portrait and Ulysses at the moment - it's tough going! Personally I find Ulysses more exciting because it's so different, but they're both great. If you want a more accessible Joyce, definitely go for Dubliners, it's a brilliant collection of short stories.
nosnibor
I'm doing Dubliners for my coursework so am trying to read both A Portrait and Ulysses at the moment - it's tough going! Personally I find Ulysses more exciting because it's so different, but they're both great. If you want a more accessible Joyce, definitely go for Dubliners, it's a brilliant collection of short stories.

I really want to read Ulysses because I've once read somewhere that it has a few similarities with Mrs Dalloway which I love. (is it that both stories have a time frame of one day? :confused: ). And I will def. read Dubliners one day- I haven't read short stories in such a long time!
But that will have to wait, I've got soo many books sitting on the bookshelf and waiting for me; I really shouldn't have put in so many authors in my personal statement. :frown:
I'm applying for English (Q300) at
Clare, Cambridge
Warwick
York
Bristol
UEA

No responses as of yet *fear*
I liked Dubliners in a way, but in another way it made me sad :frown: Mostly because it reminds me of too many places in N.I/Ireland
I have unconditional offers for English & French at Exeter and Nottingham so far...still waiting for replies from Leeds, Edinburgh and Warwick.
Honestly, I know everyone's creaming over Warwick at the moment, but something about it bothers me...I almost think I'd rather Exeter, Leeds or Edinburgh.
What do the rest of you think?
I prefer Oxford, UCL and York over Warwick. Maybe even Leeds.
But then my mind changes every 60seconds..well...
By the way, will it be very greedy and wicked of me if I say I want to receive more offers (offers, NOT rejections) asap? :/
Just got an unconditional offer from Liverpool to do English!

I'm really happy, I've been having visions of getting in no where at all
Reply 192
nosnibor
Well, I've only read the first two sections of it (it's in five parts - think they're called cantos but not sure!) and I had to do that with a guide to it next to me. It's about a land where the people are infertile so it's bleak and full of religious imagery. Once you dedicate some time to it though, you start to understand it and see the brilliance! Kind of like Ulysses by James Joyce.

It's actually about his contemporary society... :P
Reply 193
silver_charm
I really want to read Ulysses because I've once read somewhere that it has a few similarities with Mrs Dalloway which I love. (is it that both stories have a time frame of one day? :confused: ). And I will def. read Dubliners one day- I haven't read short stories in such a long time!
But that will have to wait, I've got soo many books sitting on the bookshelf and waiting for me; I really shouldn't have put in so many authors in my personal statement. :frown:

Ulysses requires time and thought to understand - it's so all-encompassing, however, that it is perfect for literary criticism (what I mean is, you can take it wherever you want). Mrs. Dalloway, is almost Woolf's literary response to Ulysses - as she liked the idea behind Joyce's work, but not the execution. In short, she was a snob who didn't think that Joyce was good enough to pull it off.

But, in reality, Ulysses >>>>> Mrs Dalloway.

(A word of warning, though, reading Ulysses is the biggest cliche for English applicants - so if you do read it, be sure you really think about it in a personal and original way)
Reply 194
QueenRachel
Just got an unconditional offer from Liverpool to do English!

I'm really happy, I've been having visions of getting in no where at all

Hi, me too! Might see you there!
Reply 195
ive applied to
durham : combined arts
and english & history of art at:
york
st. andrews
edinburgh
leeds

got AAAab for my a levels and on a gap year.
any opinions on my chances and when i will hear something?
Just got an offer from Newcastle! I'm so pleased! :biggrin: No idea of the conditions yet (it was a letter) but hopefully AAB! Good luck everyone! :smile:
Neutral_Tones
Just got an offer from Newcastle! I'm so pleased! :biggrin: No idea of the conditions yet (it was a letter) but hopefully AAB! Good luck everyone! :smile:

Omg. Can you please just stop getting offers, it's stressing me out! :wink:

Congrats though. I am so jealous.
Thanks! :smile: It's mainly because I've applied to the universities that give out offers... :p: Good luck with your offers! :biggrin:
Reply 199
I want an offer from Newcastle! :frown: That's where I want to go if I don't get into Oxford ( and I'm undecided over Durham yet), I love the city and it's only two hours away from home. I haven't checked my post today though, hopefully it will have a nice surprise in it. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending