The Student Room Group

Learner Drivers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
learning has costed me £1000 And I'm -£800 poor righ not and the worst is my instructor still wants my bloody money like why. I booked my test for 25th but he's probably going to tell me to cancel because he needs more money from me even though I have 30+ hours and I'm a teen no way I would fail ☹☹☹
Original post by Sarah_g_24
Hmmmm no, I've only driven with the instructor and his car. My mum doesn't drive and my dad drives a 7 seater Ford S-Max 2.0L engine :ashamed2:, my dad doesn't mind putting me on the insurance but I'd prefer it if I drove a smaller car. He has said once I pass and have a car we will go out to motorways and other roads so my dad knows I'm a safe driver.

That is a big car! :redface: Although funnily, there is a driving school with a similar sized car to that :lol:: a Peugeot 3008...

Have you thought of getting a car before your test? :smile:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
That is a big car! :redface: Although funnily, there is a driving school with a similar sized car to that :lol:: a Peugeot 3008...

Have you thought of getting a car before your test? :smile:

Yea I've been hinting at that idea for a while for my 18th idk how my dad feels I said we could split the cost haha, trying to find a better paid job atm because that'll definitely help.
Yea I've been hinting at that idea for a while for my 18th idk how my dad feels I said we could split the cost haha, trying to find a better paid job atm because that'll definitely help.

Is your 18th soon? :lol: and please don’t get a Fiat 500 :wink:
Is your 18th soon? :lol: and please don’t get a Fiat 500 :wink:

It's the end of May, I want to be driving by March so hopefully it'll be an early bday present haha and nah I'm thinking a Ford Fiesta 2010/2011 5 door 1.4L diesel they're going for about £3000 is that too much for a first car do you think?
It's the end of May, I want to be driving by March so hopefully it'll be an early bday present haha and nah I'm thinking a Ford Fiesta 2010/2011 5 door 1.4L diesel they're going for about £3000 is that too much for a first car do you think?

I think that would sound like a brilliant car for a first driver, and the price seems alright as well! I’m not sure if a 1.4 diesel may be hard to insure though, for a new driver. I’d do quotes before you buy it :yes:
I think that would sound like a brilliant car for a first driver, and the price seems alright as well! I’m not sure if a 1.4 diesel may be hard to insure though, for a new driver. I’d do quotes before you buy it :yes:

Yea that's the thing, at least I've started looking anyways, thanks. :smile:
I’m watching my practical soonnn... any last minute tips??
Original post by okurr123
I’m watching my practical soonnn... any last minute tips??

Hey there!

I've moved your post to this thread :h:

Exactly as I've said here:

Remember, the examiner is human like yourself so don't be afraid to talk about stuff with him/her to calm you down if you feel nervous. :yes: Me and my examiner had a right good convo during my test :laugh:

During the reversing manoeuvres, remember just before you do the manoeuvre you're allowed to lower your exterior mirror in order to see the kerb/line. (Providing you revert the mirror back to its position after you've done the manoeuvre).

Having a conversation with the examiner will calm you down so much if your nervous (at least it did with me!), the examiner won't mark you down for talking to them. In fact examiners love a convo. :yep:
Having a conversation with the examiner will calm you down so much if your nervous (at least it did with me!), the examiner won't mark you down for talking to them. In fact examiners love a convo. :yep:

Thank you, I’ll take this on board :smile: and the manoeuvres are so trickyyy especially when trying to reverse next to the kerb idk why 🙈 I also need to pass first time as I’m getting a brand new Mini for my 18th so it will be embarrassing if I fail as I’m getting it before my test 😲😲
Original post by okurr123
Thank you, I’ll take this on board :smile: and the manoeuvres are so trickyyy especially when trying to reverse next to the kerb idk why 🙈 I also need to pass first time as I’m getting a brand new Mini for my 18th so it will be embarrassing if I fail as I’m getting it before my test 😲😲

Apologies for the late reply :colondollar:

Practice makes perfect! But once you get the hang of it, you'll love doing the manoeuvres.

Lucky you!! That's a brill first car! :yes:

Let us know how you get on :yep:
Apologies for the late reply :colondollar:

Practice makes perfect! But once you get the hang of it, you'll love doing the manoeuvres.

Lucky you!! That's a brill first car! :yes:

Let us know how you get on :yep:

Thanks! I will. fingers crossed!
Hi All,

Had 18 lessons now, got my test on the 20th March- have narrowed my areas of weakness down to spiraling on roundabouts/up-hill junctions, does anyone have any tips for these please?

Also any tips for the practical test, I get really stressed easily, so going to try and stay calm thank you
Original post by danielfrost759
Hi All,

Had 18 lessons now, got my test on the 20th March- have narrowed my areas of weakness down to spiraling on roundabouts/up-hill junctions, does anyone have any tips for these please?

Also any tips for the practical test, I get really stressed easily, so going to try and stay calm thank you

For the roundabouts you'll just have to keep practicing them, practise will make perfect! And the up-hill junctions the same. Try being familiar with your biting point and practise holding the car on the hill with just the bite (however, this isn't good for the clutch if you hold the bite for a long time).

Try and watch YouTube videos which should also help you. :smile:
Slightly the wrong topic but got my first driving test tomorrow. Any tips?
Original post by SherlockD
Slightly the wrong topic but got my first driving test tomorrow. Any tips?

Moved your post to this thread instead :smile:

Well, are you nervous? Nerves are the biggest danger when going for a driving test, make sure you keep them to a minimum (whilst it's normal to be a little nervous).

And the driving test is a lot easier than everyone makes it out to be, so you'll be fine if you're nervous. The driving examiner is only looking for safe driving anyways, not exceptional driving.
Reply 36
I had my first driving test in Guildford on Friday at 2:30pm after turning 17 in October. I had little to no nerves (before the test), and thought I'd performed well.

However, after undertaking the 40 minutes of driving, my examiner informed me that she had decided that I failed before even exiting the test centre. As I pulled out (anybody who knows the Slyfield Estate or Guildford test centre will know), I made the silly choice of not going into 1st for whatever reason as there were parked cars slightly obstructing my view and I was looking to turn left.

I cut it close with a van. It wasn't ideal by any stretch, but it was not seriously close. I did clock him once I'd done it - yet I would not have classed it as an instant serious fault and failure.

I was handed my fail sheet - 1 serious fault for observation, 1 minor for control. I have my next test booked for Friday the 2nd of March, 8:10am - a busier rush hour time, but it was the best possible one I could get given my schedule and drive to do it. My instructor, however, cannot make the day - therefore I am using my own car.

It's another month away yet - but, for some reason, despite retracing the route with my father today (with almost 40 years driving under his belt!) I cannot shake this debilitating lack of confidence. I drive daily at pretty busy times through a busy village, and surely, if you're not ready for rush hour, you're not ready for the test - though I still slightly fear the consequences of a 8:10am test in Guildford. One side of me is yelling "more traffic, quieter routes! Stop!" and the other side is saying "yummy mummies in their Evoques trying to ram me off the road!"

Anyone got any comments? :\
(edited 6 years ago)
If anyone struggling to pass their theory, i've found a great app on alexa which just asks you the questions and you answer. think its just called theory test or something.

Worked for me:colondollar:

Now just to find the money to get actual driving lessons...
Reply 38
I have a driving test on Thursday and I am way nervous I failed the first time and I really want to pass my second time what can I do that will help my nerves please help
Original post by Hupdike
I have a driving test on Thursday and I am way nervous I failed the first time and I really want to pass my second time what can I do that will help my nerves please help

Hi there!

I've moved your post here, please don't bump old threads. :colondollar:

As I say to everyone (and you can actually see above), the examiner is human like yourself. Get a conversation going in the car to lighten the mood and make you less nervous. It's completely natural to be nervous, but you just have to keep those nerves to a minimum.

And plus, you can only learn from your mistakes, so let's hope this time you can do it - Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending