The Student Room Group

Learner Drivers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

How long does it take to learn and pass for the theory test?
Original post by twentystraveller

Can take a month to years, all depends on how well you learn and drive. For me, it took around 3 months with consistent private practice to pass my practical and passed my theory test a week after my 17th birthday - revised for it on the morning of the test.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Can take a month to years, all depends on how well you learn and drive. For me, it took around 3 months with consistent private practice to pass my practical and passed my theory test a week after my 17th birthday - revised for it on the morning of the test.

How long had you been learning to drive when you took your theory test? (:
Original post by twentystraveller

4 days of 3hrs daily. To read all 800 odd questions. The key is understanding the scenario as most questions would be repetetive. Unique questions would be 400.

You must apply theory in your practical driving. Thats where people make mistake. If youunderstand and apply theory to your practical driving, you wont make a serious or danger. in fact any fault.
Original post by karmacrunch
How long had you been learning to drive when you took your theory test? (:

I took my theory test rather early, it was in the same month as my birthday (a week of learning to drive). I wanted to get it out of the way ASAP :smile:

(Apologies for the late reply)
(edited 5 years ago)
I took my theory test rather early, it was in the same month as my birthday (a week of learning to drive). I wanted to get it out of the way ASAP :smile:

(Apologies for the late reply)

Thank you very much! + No worries. :tongue:
Reply 46
Hey everyone!! I'm a lapsed learner and just started lessons again, meaning i'm having to learn the new manoeuvres! I don't know if anyone has had similar experiences to me or if it's common but I've found that instructors don't teach you EVERYTHING you need to know. For example, I was taught bay parking during my most recent lesson and I was not told to stop when someone was walking behind my car (she was a good distance away), instead i just slowed down. Also, my instructor didn't tell me to check my mirrors and blind spots whilst reversing out of the bay, she only told me to check my rear window. I learnt all the additional points from youtube videos. So, is this common? I've been through a few driving instructors and none of them are perfect teachers. They either miss important things or are not pleasant.
Original post by han55
Hey everyone!! I'm a lapsed learner and just started lessons again, meaning i'm having to learn the new manoeuvres! I don't know if anyone has had similar experiences to me or if it's common but I've found that instructors don't teach you EVERYTHING you need to know. For example, I was taught bay parking during my most recent lesson and I was not told to stop when someone was walking behind my car (she was a good distance away), instead i just slowed down. Also, my instructor didn't tell me to check my mirrors and blind spots whilst reversing out of the bay, she only told me to check my rear window. I learnt all the additional points from youtube videos. So, is this common? I've been through a few driving instructors and none of them are perfect teachers. They either miss important things or are not pleasant.

Oh no. You should ALWAYS look all around when reversing! You won’t be able to see everything in your rear mirror and things might seem closer or further away - might be hard to judge your distance.
My lessons are £26 p/h, but I spent only around 35-45 mins driving, whilst the rest is my instructor and I talking about we're going to do. I don't mind because he's always asking questions like "what could happen if the car is here" or "tell me what you need to do if this situation was to come up in today's lesson?"

He pretty much shows me what we're gonna do at the start of the lesson, with the sheets he gives me the previous lesson. And he takes about 10-15 mins going over the sheets I've already gone over myself.

How do I tell him I want my lessons to actually be an hr or close to an hr's worth of driving without sounding pushy or rude? It's a lot of money to waste when I'm not really have a whole hour's worth of driving, imo.
Reply 49
Original post by Bubblylibra
Oh no. You should ALWAYS look all around when reversing! You won’t be able to see everything in your rear mirror and things might seem closer or further away - might be hard to judge your distance.

Yes this makes a lot of sense. I hadn't driven in a while so I forgot but now I remember for all the other manoeuvres, you have to move your head around loads and check everywhere! I'm quite surprised that she didn't tell me to do that if I'm honest. Having second thoughts about her.
Hi how many deaths does it take for one to be banned from driving?
Reply 51
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
My lessons are £26 p/h, but I spent only around 35-45 mins driving, whilst the rest is my instructor and I talking about we're going to do. I don't mind because he's always asking questions like "what could happen if the car is here" or "tell me what you need to do if this situation was to come up in today's lesson?"

He pretty much shows me what we're gonna do at the start of the lesson, with the sheets he gives me the previous lesson. And he takes about 10-15 mins going over the sheets I've already gone over myself.

How do I tell him I want my lessons to actually be an hr or close to an hr's worth of driving without sounding pushy or rude? It's a lot of money to waste when I'm not really have a whole hour's worth of driving, imo.

You could say you appreciate the information he gives you on the sheets and how you find it all really beneficial & that you go over the previous sheets at home and so you'd find it a lot more helpful if you could spend some more time driving. Just be respectful and he shouldn't take it in a bad way.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by han55
Yes this makes a lot of sense. I hadn't driven in a while so I forgot but now I remember for all the other manoeuvres, you have to move your head around loads and check everywhere! I'm quite surprised that she didn't tell me to do that if I'm honest. Having second thoughts about her.

Exactly! You should look all around, and if you don’t on your test, you will get marks for observation. Remember to have another look before steering left or right in case someone walks past behind you or another vehicle approaches - this is important.

She should of told you this as it’s very IMPORTANT. Have a look at “world driving” YouTube channel and you will pick up very quickly what you might have not been taught.
Reply 53
Original post by Bubblylibra
Exactly! You should look all around, and if you don’t on your test, you will get marks for observation. Remember to have another look before steering left or right in case someone walks past behind you or another vehicle approaches - this is important.

She should of told you this as it’s very IMPORTANT. Have a look at “world driving” YouTube channel and you will pick up very quickly what you might have not been taught.

Yeah she told me to check all around before steering, she just didn't tell me to keep up with it whilst the car was moving. I guess that could turn into a serious fault if someone or something was put in danger. I'll bring it up when we next do the manoeuvre.

I've been watching World Driving videos. They're excellent!!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey

He sounds like he's wasting time so he can get some easy money. It's your money at the end of the day, so I'd tell him if I were in your position.

If he doesn't rectify, then find a new instructor. My instructor never taught me show me/tell me, it was just a full hour of driving.
He sounds like he's wasting time so he can get some easy money. It's your money at the end of the day, so I'd tell him if I were in your position.

If he doesn't rectify, then find a new instructor. My instructor never taught me show me/tell me, it was just a full hour of driving.

I hope not cus he's a really good instructor and has helped me. I Always do feel like there's an improvement with each lesson.

But it does annoy me that he always tells me "don't forget the money". Like yeah, I've been late with payment a few times which can get annoying from his point of view, but still - it's annoying none the less.

I had it before years ago but had to quit cus I had no money.

My sister had him as an instructor and she passed first time with 2 minors and then did the pass plus with him. She's such a brilliant driver.

But I will just say in our next lesson "in future, I'd like our lessons to be spent more time on driving if possible".
Hey guys, I passed my test 2nd time round a week ago! I would definitely recommend watching videos from World Driving on YouTube, as they go through everything, including all the show me tell me questions, and they really helped to calm my nerves a bit before my test ☺️
Original post by Lbethany6
Hey guys, I passed my test 2nd time round a week ago! I would definitely recommend watching videos from World Driving on YouTube, as they go through everything, including all the show me tell me questions, and they really helped to calm my nerves a bit before my test ☺️

100% yes! I watched all the videos and they help SO MUCH! Congratulations! I hope this will be me soon! xx
They’re so good aren’t they! And thank you ☺️ I’m sure you’ll pass in no time! It’s honestly not as bad as you’d think it would be xx
Original post by Lbethany6
They’re so good aren’t they! And thank you ☺️ I’m sure you’ll pass in no time! It’s honestly not as bad as you’d think it would be xx

I'll get there eventually! I keep telling myself it's an 'investment' but it's hurting my bank account so much lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending