The Student Room Group

Learner Drivers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bubblylibra
I'll get there eventually! I keep telling myself it's an 'investment' but it's hurting my bank account so much lol

How many tests have you done so far?
And here it goes ... 4 (: I am WAY too stressed on my exam. Unfortunately I failed for things I never do and it’s such a shame really. I also had lessons on the other side of London with a different instructor - I had my doubts and wanted to hear a second opinion because you never know! Fortunately all is good and I’m not terrible driver, I just deal terribly under stress haha
(edited 5 years ago)
And here it goes ... 4 (: I am WAY too stressed on my exam. Unfortunately I failed for things I never do and it’s such a shame really. I also had lessons on the other side of London with a different instructor - I had my doubts and wanted to hear a second opinion because you never know! Fortunately all is good and I’m not terrible driver, I just deal terribly under stress haha

Damn 4 i'd be a bit stressed but don't worry it all comes full circle sooner or later right? :smile: Just practice and you'll be fine i know it. Sending positivity and good luck towards you. People who take multiple tests are safer so just take in consideration that you're potentially helping FutureYOU.
Original post by lucasdurkin
Damn 4 i'd be a bit stressed but don't worry it all comes full circle sooner or later right? :smile: Just practice and you'll be fine i know it. Sending positivity and good luck towards you. People who take multiple tests are safer so just take in consideration that you're potentially helping FutureYOU.

Thanks Lucas! I am positive that I will eventually pass and I am certain I will be a safe driver. I'm already way less stressed than usual before my next exam. I guess after a couple of times you start to understand more and you know what to expect!

You'd likely benefit from finding ways to get your nerves under control. Could try meditation. Kalms tablets worked well for me, but you need to start taking them a couple of weeks before your next test. Bach's rescue remedy on the day is also good. Chewing gum also really helped me, as did staying hydrated.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
You'd likely benefit from finding ways to get your nerves under control. Could try meditation. Kalms tablets worked well for me, but you need to start taking them a couple of weeks before your next test. Bach's rescue remedy on the day is also good. Chewing gum also really helped me, as did staying hydrated.

I find that Rescue Remedy helps a lot! In fact I do get dehydrated a lot and it's so annoying! I'm forever chewing gum or drinking water! Honestly I need to start believing in myself and come across as more confident! I know this isn't 100% relevant, but I did ride a 125cc Vespa for 2 years every day to work and very long distances - not the same as driving a car at all, but it does help a lot to understand how to behave on the roads! Never had any accidents or unpleasant situations... probably because I was younger, always held my head high and I was never scared! The common sense is there, I just need to start believing in myself and smashit the next time! x
I've cancelled my theory test twice now and wasted £46. I can't afford to do this a third time and I've been longing things out by going through a massive book that has loads of questions.I've spent loads of time trying to memorise things word for word, when it's not necessary to overdo things. I could achieve a 2.1 in a Computer Science degree, yet I can't do an easy multiple choice test. I really don't know what gives and I've got to start learning to drive, since I'm 23 and can't keep taking the bus with school kids forever. Any tips or advice would be appreciated
Original post by mr_student_69
I've cancelled my theory test twice now and wasted £46. I can't afford to do this a third time and I've been longing things out by going through a massive book that has loads of questions.I've spent loads of time trying to memorise things word for word, when it's not necessary to overdo things. I could achieve a 2.1 in a Computer Science degree, yet I can't do an easy multiple choice test. I really don't know what gives and I've got to start learning to drive, since I'm 23 and can't keep taking the bus with school kids forever. Any tips or advice would be appreciated

Download the official DVSA theory test kit on your phone! It’s seriously the easiest way to learn everything back to back very fast. I used to do mock tests when I was commuting or a quick questionnaire when I had a spare moment. I read the Highway Code once when I was in the bathtub lol.

A week before my test I also studied on their official website https://www.dvsalearningzone.co.uk. Unfortunately it’s quite pricey - I think it was £15 for a week?

Honestly don’t get paranoid about the test too much! I rebooked my test 3/4 times although in my mock tests I always passed easily with my eyes shut. Yes, it is stressful to be sitting in an exam room, but trust me this is the easiest part EVER.

Just keep doing the tests on your phone and it will stick, trust me!
Good luck everyone who is learning! It took me from November 2017- July 2018 to pass, and i passed the practical test on the 3rd go. Dont feel pressured by anyone, go at your own pace, and look forward to the amazing feeling of being able to hop in your car and drive anywhere on your own :h:
The test isn't that big when I look back at it.

Been driving for 6 weeks now and you get use to it eventually.

Just make sure you get enough practice and you're ready. I kept making silly mistakes in my mock and then I only got one minor in my actual test. It helped that it I think it was school holidays so not many people were on the road.

When you start driving on your own when you pass, it's a whole different world! But the feeling hasn't worn off. I still get senitmental when I see learners on the road!
Hi everyone, my practical test is booked and is in 5 days!!! My driving isnt too bad but I still make mistakes at roundabouts and need to work on manouvers. Also I need to do more mirror checks and signalling as I sometimes delay it or forget. Im so nervous at first I was going to delay it but i have decided to go in for it instead. Anyone got any tips for the test? Doing it in West Didsbury in Manchester and its my 1st time 😭 So nervous...!!!
Original post by Cstudenthelp
Hi everyone, my practical test is booked and is in 5 days!!! My driving isnt too bad but I still make mistakes at roundabouts and need to work on manouvers. Also I need to do more mirror checks and signalling as I sometimes delay it or forget. Im so nervous at first I was going to delay it but i have decided to go in for it instead. Anyone got any tips for the test? Doing it in West Didsbury in Manchester and its my 1st time 😭 So nervous...!!!

You can't get rid of your nerves, but try to minimise them.

Remember, they're there to see how confidently and safely you can drive. Not how perfectly you can. You're allowed up to 15 minors so if you do forget to check mirrors, don't beat yourself up. Make sure you make it obvious; as in turn your head when looking at your mirrors; whenever your changing lanes, roads, position etc. Signalling should be at least 10 car caps ahead of you so remember that.

Say what you're going to do out loud "just checking my right and centre mirror" etc. They won't mind!

I needed work on my roundabouts and front bay parking. But I was fine when it came to roundabouts on the day and didn't even do front bay parking so it was all good.

You got this! Don't overthink what may or may not happen because that's impossible! Don't put too much pressure on yourself. If you pass well done, if you fail, then you'll pass another time. Simple! Good luck!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You can't get rid of your nerves, but try to minimise them.

Remember, they're there to see how confidently and safely you can drive. Not how perfectly you can. You're allowed up to 15 minors so if you do forget to check mirrors, don't beat yourself up. Make sure you make it obvious; as in turn your head when looking at your mirrors; whenever your changing lanes, roads, position etc. Signalling should be at least 10 car caps ahead of you so remember that.

Say what you're going to do out loud "just checking my right and centre mirror" etc. They won't mind!

I needed work on my roundabouts and front bay parking. But I was fine when it came to roundabouts on the day and didn't even do front bay parking so it was all good.

You got this! Don't overthink what may or may not happen because that's impossible! Don't put too much pressure on yourself. If you pass well done, if you fail, then you'll pass another time. Simple! Good luck!

Thankyou so much! that really helped. Hopefully ill pass but ill just see what happens. Ill let you know if i do next week :smile:
Hiya! Had around 38 hours of lessons and got another 7 to go before me test. It's booked for the 30th of Jan.

Quick question- when approaching roundabouts in 3rd gear or above, when do you shift down to second? Just as you reach the roundabout or a few car lengths before so you can drive at a lower speed before getting to the roundabout?
Original post by GrapeCrocodile
Hiya! Had around 38 hours of lessons and got another 7 to go before me test. It's booked for the 30th of Jan.

Quick question- when approaching roundabouts in 3rd gear or above, when do you shift down to second? Just as you reach the roundabout or a few car lengths before so you can drive at a lower speed before getting to the roundabout?

It depends on what roundabouts and what roads your coming off and going into.

If it's city roundabouts, always remember Mirror, Signal, Position, Speed, Look.

Always keep to the same speed before the above MSPSL acronym because:

Mirror: always check what's behind you - a car could be too close behind you (usually not the case in L plated car, but you never know what they're doing). Or a cyclist or motorcyclist could be to either side of you. So if you do slow down now, the car at the back could easily go into the back of you if you change your speed/gear suddenly.

Signal: Always signal where appropriate and often, you should signal 5-10 cars ahead of you so it tells other road users what you're doing. So if you're signalling early, that means the person behind you knows you will be slowing down after.

Position: if you're signalling right, you will be looking for a chance to get into he right hand lane so you're getting ready to change position the road, letting other road users know where you plan on being.

Speed: as you're approach a bend, turn or roundabout this is when you slow down, change into 2nd gear if the roundabout is small, tight or narrow. If it's a big roundabout, you usually don't have to put it in lower gear (unless you're in 4th or higher). The bigger the roundabout, the faster the road speed limit will be.

Look: as you're changing to 2nd gear, make sure you're looking to see if you can proceed without stopping. If you're unsure whether you'll make it over in time, just stop and then put it into first gear. Then keep an eye out. Don't feel pressured to go just because you think the gap is big enough. Always wait for a 4 second gap between you and the car you see coming your way.

In short, as you approach the roundabout, you should change down to 2nd gear. If there's a few cars in front you, you most likely will have to change down to 2nd anyway.
Hi all, not completely new to driving as I started 5 years ago and stopped/started yearly until last year I restarted in March and have been progressing since, according to my instructor I’m test ready. I’ve had two test already (one this morning) and failed on the roundabout - something about tests or the word itself has given me anxiety since I learned the word. It’s sucks as I need the car for family and work life but hey ho I’ve come this far. I wouldn’t dare waste all the hard work put into it and give up but failing flipping hurts. Currently exempt from any use of medicine to calm my nerves for the next 6 months.
Original post by MrsTargaryen
Hi all, not completely new to driving as I started 5 years ago and stopped/started yearly until last year I restarted in March and have been progressing since, according to my instructor I’m test ready. I’ve had two test already (one this morning) and failed on the roundabout - something about tests or the word itself has given me anxiety since I learned the word. It’s sucks as I need the car for family and work life but hey ho I’ve come this far. I wouldn’t dare waste all the hard work put into it and give up but failing flipping hurts. Currently exempt from any use of medicine to calm my nerves for the next 6 months.

Hiya! If you don't mind me asking, what exactly made you fail at the roundabout?
I understand what you mean. Only had mock tests with my instructor but even then, I seem to drive completely differently to normal.
At the roundabout I was supposed to leave on the third exit and was in the correct lane to begin with then coming off is where I went weird - after the second exit I went into the middle lane and MSM to go left and attempt to come off but the car in the left lane was to close so I had to steer back in the lane then coming off forth exit tbh it’s a bit blurry as we didn’t speak about it so I didn’t know where I went wrong exactly he just said after the test I failed on the roundabout. I think that’s what happened. What’s even more fustrating is I’m sure the car on the left was coming off also and two lanes coming off I’m sure that’s how roundabouts work, well I’m most likely wrong otherwise I wouldn’t have failed.
Had my first lesson today. Safe to say I think I impressed the bloke :colondollar:
Original post by Lbethany6
Hey guys, I passed my test 2nd time round a week ago! I would definitely recommend watching videos from World Driving on YouTube, as they go through everything, including all the show me tell me questions, and they really helped to calm my nerves a bit before my test ☺️

Hi, if you fail to answer the show me tell me Qs would you fail the test?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending