The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doughnuts!!
See, if I take this into account, this means that I won't do IP and won't have any third option. I think the problem is that I don't particularly like any of the options being offered. I only really decided to put CSPS as an option alongside International because I thought it sounded kinda interesting but even then I'm not 100% convinced by it. I know that I definitely want to do Juris but I'm leaving that until 3rd year and I know that I definitely don't want to do Family/Civil 2/Legal History/CPE.

I need advice!

I agree with Timmona - if you want to do Juris, do Juris. Why do you want to leave it? Part IB students don't underperform in it - they started having it for Part IB when I began Part IB and every 2nd year I know who did it performed well. Heck, the person who topped the paper was a 2nd year (admittedly, he also got a starred first this year so perhaps not the best indicator for normal schmucks like us). And there is a much wider range of options in 3rd year.

You will enjoy international if you like juris. (Even if you don't, actually - I enjoyed it and it was by far my worst paper) It's more politics than law.

CSPS also requires a philisophical turn of mind so it might even be good to do it and Juris together. I did CSPS last year and it was really interesting. And as long as you actually do *some* work, the paper isn't too hard (just blagging it won't work though)
Original post by gethsemane342
I agree with Timmona - if you want to do Juris, do Juris. Why do you want to leave it? Part IB students don't underperform in it - they started having it for Part IB when I began Part IB and every 2nd year I know who did it performed well. Heck, the person who topped the paper was a 2nd year (admittedly, he also got a starred first this year so perhaps not the best indicator for normal schmucks like us). And there is a much wider range of options in 3rd year.

You will enjoy international if you like juris. (Even if you don't, actually - I enjoyed it and it was by far my worst paper) It's more politics than law.

CSPS also requires a philisophical turn of mind so it might even be good to do it and Juris together. I did CSPS last year and it was really interesting. And as long as you actually do *some* work, the paper isn't too hard (just blagging it won't work though)

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Not sure to whom this was directed but here's my $0.02.

Take juris this year. I know you think you'll do better taking it in third year, but there's nothing stopping you doing well if you do it this year and, well, if you don't you'll end up doing something you don't (think you'll) like and possibly precluding yourself from taking other things which you would like in third year.

If you really don't want to, geth said eu is no harder in part 1b than part ii. I'd give serious consideration to moving it forward before I filled gaps with things I don't want to take. You have to take EU, so taking it earlier won't crowd out your later choices, and if it helps with some third year modules you may put yourself at an advantage.

Really, don't waste your time doing things you don't like when you could be doing things you do like. You're only here for three years (on this degree at least) and you only get a set amount of options. Waste neither years nor options.

Cheers guys, gonna do Juris!

Thanks for the helpful advice!
Cheers guys, gonna do Juris!

Thanks for the helpful advice!

Yay we're course buddies!!!! :love:
Reply 1983
when we were doing subject forms my dos was fairly blunt. she was like you can choose two subjects....i won't allow you to take jurisprudence. or eu. or IP. or comparative. any questions?

and yet i'm still having difficulty choosing!
Original post by wawa1906
when we were doing subject forms my dos was fairly blunt. she was like you can choose two subjects....i won't allow you to take jurisprudence. or eu. or IP. or comparative. any questions?

and yet i'm still having difficulty choosing!

:lolwut:

What does that leave you with?!

You don't strike me as a man who'd enjoy Family. Have you thought about Admin?
Reply 1985
Original post by Tortious
:lolwut:

What does that leave you with?!

You don't strike me as a man who'd enjoy Family. Have you thought about Admin?

i'm definitely taking admin, it's just the other slot that i'm struggling to fill. it's strange that in the family examiners reports they don't detail how many of each class they awarded etc. i think i'm going to go with family though.....meh?
Can a DoS actually stop you from doing a subject? As predicted, my DoS is trying to stop me from doing Juris...
Can a DoS actually stop you from doing a subject? As predicted, my DoS is trying to stop me from doing Juris...

Erm ... in theory, no, they can't. For example, the old DoS of Christ's used to make all 2nd years do EU but he couldn't force them to do it so one or two every year would just take another option. But I have heard some DoSes will just keep sending your form back till you take an option they're happy with. One way around this may be to contact the faculty directly and ask to be placed on a certain course but as your DoS arranges your supervisions, that could be awkward...

Why is your DoS blocking juris anyway?

csps was my worst mark by a long way! blagging it definitely doesn't work.
Original post by Cassie218
csps was my worst mark by a long way! blagging it definitely doesn't work.

I think they toughened up the marking in the last few years. It wasn't my worst mark last year but that's because I effectively made up an entire answer based on what I could find in my statute book in international law :tongue: I knew I was in trouble though when half the questions referred to the Green Paper which I hadn't actually bothered to read... :colondollar:
Reply 1990
Ahhhhh I'm panicking I can't pick! I did really really well in Admin - any ideas as to which papers require a similar style of thinking/writing. I've listened to the Subject Forum recordings and none of the speakers are really persuading me...
Original post by triste91
Ahhhhh I'm panicking I can't pick! I did really really well in Admin - any ideas as to which papers require a similar style of thinking/writing. I've listened to the Subject Forum recordings and none of the speakers are really persuading me...

Jurisprudence?

Labour law, maybe? What kind of thinking do you need for Admin?

Alternatively, what are you actually interested in?

Tell him that if he's not careful you won't take admin.
Reply 1993
Jurisprudence?

Labour law, maybe? What kind of thinking do you need for Admin?

Alternatively, what are you actually interested in?

I've just listened to the Comparative podcast and it sounds good - do you have any friends that took it/know anything about it?

It's hard - during the year I was more interested in the technical courses (Land & Contract) when it came to supervisions, but then over Easter I engaged better with the more issue-based papers (Family/International). Admin involved a lot of case law but required a lot of thinking about theoretical issues and legal principles, which I didn't like at the time, but grew to love when I revised! I reckon I'd like more principle/issue-based/discursive papers....sorry if I'm not making much sense my thoughts are incredibly scattered!

Essentially I want to be able to discuss principles and issues but I think I'd want more of a footing in actual law so I'm not really leaning towards Juris.

Help meeeeee
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Tell him that if he's not careful you won't take admin.

I'm not taking Admin, though!
Original post by triste91
I've just listened to the Comparative podcast and it sounds good - do you have any friends that took it/know anything about it?

It's hard - during the year I was more interested in the technical courses (Land & Contract) when it came to supervisions, but then over Easter I engaged better with the more issue-based papers (Family/International). Admin involved a lot of case law but required a lot of thinking about theoretical issues and legal principles, which I didn't like at the time, but grew to love when I revised! I reckon I'd like more principle/issue-based/discursive papers....sorry if I'm not making much sense my thoughts are incredibly scattered!

Essentially I want to be able to discuss principles and issues but I think I'd want more of a footing in actual law so I'm not really leaning towards Juris.

Help meeeeee

Sorry, I actually don't know anyone who did comparative law. I forgot it even existed.

Aspects of Obligations? It seems to be a mix of what you enjoy - it's based on contract, tort and adds in restitution but unlike most other papers, you have to really think to do well. Problems often ask outright for criticism etc. The only caveat I'd add to this is that, it is undeniably one of the most difficult subjects you can do at Cambridge. There's no supervisions and no textbooks as such (restitution has some), the syllabus changes from year to year depending on how the lecturers feel and the paper requires a *lot* of thinking. That being said, topics are really droppable so you can focus on what you like for the exam - you can just learn 4 or 5 topics and you'll be fine because the paper is designed to allow greater focus.

Legal History? I have no idea what that's like though.

CSPS is very issue-based and has some footing in law (even has one problem question on the paper)

Labour law is another mix of technical and issues. You have to do one problem and one essay at least and the problems are very technical because some of the law is very technical but the essays are more issue-based. (It's also one of the fairest courses because everyone is placed on the exact same footing vis-a-vis reading and supervisors and the lecturers are really nice so the papers don't make you want to cry)

Some half papers? I hear Medical law is back?
I would avoid:
Company - very technical and statute-based

Conflicts - RF loves to set hybrid problem/essays so it is quite issue-led and technical but the issues are very black-letter. I absolutely adored the paper (though it was my joint worst with equity :tongue:) but the issues are things like "Should we be able to restrain foreign proceedings?" or "Is it right that going to court in one Member State prevents another from acting until the first declines jurisdiction?". If this does not interest you, don't do it.

Potentially commercial though i don't know much about it.
IP which is also very technical.
Some half papers? I hear Medical law is back?

Mmm, although Media's gone now that JR's left. :emo:

Medical's being taught by your DoS and SP (Consti lecturer from the only "non-Cambridge" college)! :lol:
Original post by Tortious
Mmm, although Media's gone now that JR's left. :emo:

Medical's being taught by your DoS and SP (Consti lecturer from the only "non-Cambridge" college)! :lol:

That is true. She was telling me yesterday about how it got reinstated. It's annoying because I really wanted to do medical law and competition law, both of which were cancelled for my year.
The West Wing

Hey, you might know the answer to this. On the BPP learning assessments, where is the drop down form for filling in answers? I've now typed in the correct answers twice and it refuses to recognise that I've typed anything. And I can't find who I'm supposed to e-mail if I'm having technical issues...
Just found out that I have two outstanding TC applications (i.e. I haven't started them) due in today before the deadline closes. ****. :argh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending