The Student Room Group

PM refuses to revoke Trump state visit despite far right retweets

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises

To my mind, the special relationship is over until he goes.

Please don't do anything hasty Fullof... you should give him another chance

:emo:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Trump did a politically incorrect tweet -- must be time for us to abandon our entire foreign policy.

Yup. Virtue signalling gone mad.

Speaking of which, one wonders why the PM felt the need to comment on the re-tweets at all. Any sane person would just completely ignore anything tweeted by him, no matter what it contained.
Original post by Good bloke
Yup. Virtue signalling gone mad.

Speaking of which, one wonders why the PM felt the need to comment on the re-tweets at all. Any sane person would just completely ignore anything tweeted by him, no matter what it contained.

Yes, because how can it possibly matter a jot what the President of the United States says publicly?
Although his views are abhorrent, we shouldn't block free speech...it's a slippery slope. Perhaps we could have a vote on whether Trump's visit should be cancelled?
Original post by louisat12
Although his views are abhorrent, we shouldn't block free speech...it's a slippery slope. Perhaps we could have a vote on whether Trump's visit should be cancelled?

yes, it's time we had another of those referenderum thingies... the last one was enormously fun.
Reply 25
Original post by louisat12

Why is it 'abhorrent' to point out the actual abhorrent things Muslims (no, obviously not all of them) are doing across the world?
Original post by FarhanHalim
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42172032
"later a Downing Street spokesman said: "British people overwhelmingly reject the prejudiced rhetoric of the far right which is the antithesis of the values that this country represents - decency tolerance and respect." He added: "It is wrong for the president to have done this." Downing Street also made clear that the invitation to the US president to make a state visit to the UK still stood."

So essentially what the PM wants to say is "Oh, that's a bit rude, but I don't really care. I still love you Donald, please give me a trade deal so I can look like I'm making a success of Brexit while I'm flushing Britain's economic future down the toilet through a hard Brexit in order to satisfy my hard-right backbenchers and avoid a leadership challenge with Boris or JRM"

I am Muslim and disagree with many things that Trump does and I am no fan of May either but making an enemy with a world super power and financial player that is out of the EU wouldn't bea good political move imo
What a joke when people want to stop a world leader from entering over some tweets

I don't know who is worse Trump or Trudeau both seem to be extreme opposites

I liked Trump more when he didn't sell out to the Saudi's

So Trump is a hypocrite
The President of the United States is always welcome in the UK, despite what the bleeding heart liberals may think. I know that if it were up to them, he would be banned from coming to the UK! But, thankfully it's not going to happen.

Theresa May is right to condemn him, but it's not good to make a mountain out of a molehill over a few retweets. We have a great relationship with the US, and we should strengthen our ties with the US, and not weaken them.
Muslim rage
the truth is that many many people in the United Kingdom are not metrosexual SJWs... why do you think that Brexit was so popular ?
Original post by Golden State

Theresa May is right to condemn him, but it's not good to make a mountain out of a molehill over a few retweets. We have a great relationship with the US, and we should strengthen our ties with the US, and not weaken them.

They are not "just a few retweets". They are the President of the United States of America recommending and putting forward extremist far-right fascist groups. We are through the looking glass if you think that doesn't matter.

What we can be certain of is that if he does come here, there is going to be major, major opposition to the visit. Unlike some of the posters on here, a very large number of us don't think he's a lovable misunderstood bumbler accidentally retweeting nasty remarks that he doesn't really mean - we know perfectly well (as I assume you do) that he's a neo-fascist thug of the worst sort.
Hmmm, its a bit difficult. As reported today I think more of a working visit will be in order.
Of course she won’t revoke it, he’s the US President like it or not.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Here is a thorough analysis of the content of the videos.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/11/29/the-murky-origins-of-the-britain-first-videos-trump-retweeted/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tweet-830am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.90f011a9f221

In all cases, the far right are distorting the context and meaning of the events depicted.

Because the WaPo is the beacon of unbiased truth isn't it? They have a hate boner for Trump so don't post propaganda.
This country seems to be negatively OTT against Trump...liberals these days. Wanting to stop and protest against a US President coming to its greatest ally, the UK. Absolutely pathetic.
Reply 36
Original post by Golden State
The President of the United States is always welcome in the UK, despite what the bleeding heart liberals may think. I know that if it were up to them, he would be banned from coming to the UK! But, thankfully it's not going to happen.

You have something on your nose.
The tweets he retweeted were in criticism of Islamic extremism? Is it wrong for us to criticize them for the acts they committed in those videos?
Original post by Chaz254
Because the WaPo is the beacon of unbiased truth isn't it? They have a hate boner for Trump so don't post propaganda.

Maybe try looking at the actual critiques? It isn't just the Post anyway. How can you defend the Donald pointing to Britain First tweets which make clearly false claims about the videos? Claims challenged by, amongst others, the Dutch police and government. Perhaps the Dutch authorities are all part of the 'hate boner for Trump'?? Eh?
Original post by EagleKingdom
The tweets he retweeted were in criticism of Islamic extremism? Is it wrong for us to criticize them for the acts they committed in those videos?

They are criticisms of made up examples of Islamic extremism.

Do you not think the President of the biggest power on earth ought to be at least a little teensy bit interested in actual truth and facts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending