The Student Room Group

Is anyone doing Carol Ann Duffy's 'The World's Wife'?

Scroll to see replies

well i thought the question was quite nice about the "subversive", basically you could have put down anything about twisting the tale to a female perspective/discovering female voice and you'll get some marks. woohoo
Reply 41
I was the only one who answered that question in my class! I wasn't sure of what it mean but knew it had something to do with corrupting natural order or an established norm and so started rambling on about the gender roles and how they're swapped in Duffy's collection...doubt i've got anything higher than a C though...the rest of the questions were awful! :frown:
Reply 42
Jamsie, your essay says nothing about what your opinions are on Eurydice, being the KEY to the collection, you're analysing the poem but not answering the question in my opinion.
Reply 43
Oh man..I did the Eurydice poem, one of the worst ones for me personally that could've come up!
I mentioned on how her voice is directed towards a female audience, and how she mentions girls, mentioned how this was similar to Frau Freud as she addressed ladies (mature audience).
Then mentioned because she is addressing the young audience, she might be naive herself because of her youth, then saying can we trust her voice? Linked it to the entire anthology saying can we trust any voices because the mans is never heard.
Then wrote about feminism is evident, links to Mrs Beast and Kray Sisters (probably totally wrong).
Then for another paragraph I wrote about the morbid and dark imagery she constantly uses "death" etc, she has a lack of confidence in herself..can't think of the quote..then linked the Medusa and Lazarus I think.
Then to Juxtapose I said how there is no evidence of humour as this is one of Duffy's traits etc.
Probably a load of crap, I know I've failed..I'm just no good at English Literature anymore =[.
Reply 44
TO be fair there were different themes with which you could link the poems.

I used imagery a bit but i focused mainly on male domination, entrapment and escaping from male domination(pygmalions bride, Eurydice and Little red cap), then i argued for the other side by looking at celebratory poems about women and love.(Demeter and Anne Hathaway).

But from what you wrote, sounds like you'll be fine.
Reply 45
Thanks man..such a debatable topic though.
I mentioned entrapment as well..she mentions it in Eurydice doesn't she.
Reply 46
ye she uses the word 'trapped'
Reply 47
I did the subversive one but a lot of people in my class were confused about what it was. I found it was worded in a confusing way... actually that's probably just me. But i think i did well hope you guys did well. Thanx for all the notes
Reply 48
Hey thanks man. Im new so I don't really know what im doing but jst wanted to say thnks for your suggestions. I'm more of a creative writer so if anyone has any queries then... do whatever you do to get hold of me? im not really sure what that is? haha x
oh, i'm doing the world's wife ! that would be really helpful if you could post your notes because i think mine are inadequate and i have some gaps and stuff!
:woo:
my exam is next week :eek:
so would be great if you could get them up asap!

thanks so much x
thanks person above me.
im annotating queen herod right now, and your notes really helped :smile:
Reply 51
Wow I thought they had stopped doing the syllabus with 'The World's Wife' on it! How do you like the other poems?? I love the whole anthology!:yes: :biggrin:
Has anyone got any more notes on Delilah?
Reply 53
i am but i am stuck i have an essay to write

The prevailing tone of the collection suggests there is no such thing as a good man? Discuss the statement in the light of the collection as a whole?

i dont know where to start? can anyone help? please respond asap please!

thank you x
Does anyone have any notes on Mrs Midas? Seem to get notes on every other poem other than this one!
Would be a big help! Thankyouu x
*Rachie*
My take on Queen Herod;

Introduction;
Herod, also known as Herod the Great, was a Roman king of Judea. In Christian scripture, Herod is known for the ‘Massacre of the Innocents’, the execution of all young male children in the village of Bethlehem, so as to avoid the loss of his throne to a newborn "King of the Jews“, whose birth had been announced to him by the Three Kings.

In ‘Queen Herod’, Duffy gives a voice to someone who is not included in the Bible she allows the feminine perspective to be heard and continues to demonstrate a backlash at the dominance of men in literature.

‘Queen Herod’ is a dramatic monologue in free verse.

Quotes and notes;

“Three Queens at the Palace gates,
Dressed in furs, accented;” - Allusion to ‘Three Kings’ (patriarchal Magi)

“Once drunken Herod’s head went back…” - The male figure is quickly ushered out of the poem when asleep concentration on the females

“…glowed in the soft bowl of her face.” - Reference to the Nativity scene

“Grace… Strength… Happiness…” - The gifts given by the Queens are emotive as opposed to the materialistic ones given to Jesus by the Kings Duffy could be suggesting that men are materialistic (give/given gold, frankincense and myrrh) and desire riches, whereas women need emotional connection and believe personality traits are more important.

“…with insolent lust.” - Reference to lesbianism

“…for a star in the East…” - Represents masculinity - this star originally signalled Christ’s birth in the bible, continuing Duffy’s twist on the classic story

“…pierced through the night like a nail.” - Heavy symbolism crucifixion presages suffering of Christ, but also suffering for the matriarchal line (as commanded by Queen H)

“Him. The Husband… Mr Right.” - Litany of male figures repetition enforces the power of the numerous men of history

“and the black Queen scooped out my breast… to the infant’s mouth.” - Attractions of lesbianism and the power of motherhood

“No man, I swore,” - The significance and power of the three Queen’s presence is evident here as Queen Herod swears to protect the child in their company

“hawked, spat, snatched” - Sharp sibilance and harsh wording demonstrates that males are discourteous

(1)“…turbaned Queen rise like a God on the back of her beast.” - Connotations of feminine power and sexuality
(2)“…splayed that night below Herod’s fusty bulk…” - Herod is given no dignity Queen H takes no pleasure in sex; female subjugation could also demonstrate how she feels trapped by masculine dominance
Contrast between quotes (1) and (2) the three Queens have power in their sexuality but Queen Herod does not

“I saw the fierce eyes of the black Queen flash again, felt her urgent warnings scald my ear. Watch for a star, a star.” repetition; also, the experience fuels hatred of masculinity the warning of the star haunts/obsesses Queen Herod. Personification enforces the effect the had meeting on Queen Herod ("warnings scald")

“Some swaggering lad… some wincing Prince to take her name away…” - Anaphora of ‘some’ conveys Queen Herod’s scorn for men they’re all the same. Assonance in ‘wincing Prince’ also reveals scorn. Queen Herod fears for the continuation of the matriarchal line her daughter will lose her identity/become a man’s possession.

“Take men and horses…kill each mother’s son. Do it. Spare not one.” - Queen Herod previously felt trapped by her husband now she gives commands and takes on a more masculine role demonstrates feminine power. Duffy changes the story Herod’s motives are replaced by his wife’s Queen H commands the massacre of the male children to protect her daughter from exploitation. Queen H fears the loss of female power, symbolised by her daughter’s potential domination by patriarchy.

“blatant, brazen, buoyant in the East… The Boyfriend’s Star.” - Duffy may be referring to the patriarchal gender roles of the Christian church women are denied equal roles/authority but in the poem, they are presented as bold, fierce and as brutal as any man. Alliteration instils imagery of the star.

Hope these are useful :biggrin:

Oh My Goddess, you don't know how useful this was to me. I was sitting here at midnight trying to annotate my copy of "The World's Wife" "Queen Herod" for AS English Literature when i came across this thread. It Saved me quite a bit of time and i actually understood what you meant unlike when my teacher is trying to teach me. Well thank you it was very informative and helpful.
Thaaaaanks for the 'eurydice' Stuff :smile:
Reply 57
I'm doing 'Mrs Lazarus' for my coursework essay... I need references to critics of Duffy's work and to other poems of hers relating to the main body of the essay which questions whether the poem is controversial and contemporary. Help? :confused:
Reply 58
Original post by samdreamer05
I have some interesting notes on some of the poems if you would like me to post them please ask if not then i won't because there is quite alot.

Hiya yeah I am!!!!
My question is 'how far do you agree that the women hold the power in the poems?'
I am doing
-Pygmalions Bride
-Delilah
-The Kray Sisters
-Circe...
x
Reply 59
Original post by samdreamer05
Wow I thought they had stopped doing the syllabus with 'The World's Wife' on it! How do you like the other poems?? I love the whole anthology!:yes: :biggrin:

Would you have any notes on The World's Wife to spare for moi? :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending