The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What does it involve?
Reply 2
"* Physical fitness: advanced training * Leadership skills * Assistance in emergency situations * Advanced map-reading & navigation * Current affairs * Competitive sports * Adventurous sports * First Aid Certificate * Self Defence The programme puts a great emphasis on physical fitness and practical activities in order to raise candidates' fitness levels to the standards required for entry into the uniformed services."

I think the most important is the leadership, navigation and current affairs. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for college courses etc. Thanks
Reply 3
While I have to admit that I have completely no idea about the course or how much it would benefit you, my main question is why can you not do these things without the course?

As far as I can tell just from the list a lot are combined anyway, for example:
Competitive Sports, Adventurous sports and Self Defence will all improve physical fitness.
First aid and Advanced map-reading are forms of Assistance in emergency situations.
Leadership skills will include how to work in emergency situations.
Reply 4
PasserBy9
While I have to admit that I have completely no idea about the course or how much it would benefit you, my main question is why can you not do these things without the course?

As far as I can tell just from the list a lot are combined anyway, for example:
Competitive Sports, Adventurous sports and Self Defence will all improve physical fitness.
First aid and Advanced map-reading are forms of Assistance in emergency situations.
Leadership skills will include how to work in emergency situations.

So would you say go and do A-Levels?
Sounds to me like it's a course more relevant to Airman entry. For Officer entry, a packaged course like that is unlikely to impress OASC - no initiative, it's all offered to you on a plate, which is not what they want to see.

You have to have at least 2 A levels for Officer entry, I'm not sure what an NVQ at Level 3 might equate to, but not enough, judging from the syllabus you have suggested here.
Reply 6
Yes, NVQ 3 is equivalent to 3 A-levels I think. So instead, go to sixth form and get some a-levels and work on them skills in my own time?

Thanks for help so far
Reply 7
You need A-levels to join the military as an Officer, so go onto the careers websites and look at these. A NVQ in Prep for Uniformed Services is no substitution for a English A-level, and you'd be better off doing A-levels and doing some adventurous training in your spare time.
I've done some research. I think it is highly unlikely that you would convince the RAF that the NVQ was worth anything vis a vis Officer entry. They only really seem to easily accept NVQ level 5. And as I said before, I doubt they would be impressed with the manner of learning/gaining ticks.
Reply 9
OK, thanks a lot for all the help, its much appreciated.
It is a good question though. On paper this course looks perfect; however, in practice it may not be and with NVQs it is difficult to tell if two courses with the exact same name are as equally beneficial. Whereas externally moderated A Levels can tell the RAF where this person achieves in relation to the rest of the nation.

Besides the RAF likes to teach you how to do just about everything or send you on specific courses, that way they know exactly what you know (that sounds creepy), everyone is on the same level(s) and confusion is kept to a minimum - actually that last one was a lie.
Reply 11
PasserBy9
It is a good question though. On paper this course looks perfect; however, in practice it may not be and with NVQs it is difficult to tell if two courses with the exact same name are as equally beneficial. Whereas externally moderated A Levels can tell the RAF where this person achieves in relation to the rest of the nation.

Besides the RAF likes to teach you how to do just about everything or send you on specific courses, that way they know exactly what you know (that sounds creepy), everyone is on the same level(s) and confusion is kept to a minimum - actually that last one was a lie.

Haha, yes it does sound creepy :biggrin: Thanks for all the help, I would probably have applied for it and most likely regretted it, thanks again.
Reply 12
But you asked the question and checked, well done. :-)
Well you did the right thing by checking.

If in doubt, stick to what is known best in this case, A Levels - however hard/boring they may be. If the RAF want 2 A Levels, do 2 A Levels and try your dammed hardest to do well at them! Even if it means picking Art, Music or PE.
Reply 14
Thanks to everyone once again. I think I'm going to pick English, History because they're my best two subjects, and I will try Law. Do you actually need to do Physics and Maths? Or is this just a myth, I know you should be good at mental maths, thanks.
It's a myth. There is no need to do Maths or Physics at A level. However, if anyone chooses arts subjects because they are allergic to all technical subjects, then they should reconsider applying for Pilot/WSO as those are very technical working environments.
This is a myth, if you are good at maths - do it.

Beware - Law is not really considered an A Level subject and is blacklisted by may universities.
Yes you are applying to the Armed Forces, but think to the future should you ever need to go to uni.
My suggestion is to stick with the traditional subjects, but do what you want. There is a list of Black Listed subjects somewhere on TSR - I'll go dig it up for you.
I think it's only Unis like Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick etc that blacklist.
Yeh sorry I just remembered that whilst searching :redface:

But anyway, just incase you are thinking of Oxbridge, Durham or some other top uni, here is the list:

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

LIST B
Limited Suitability
Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Architecture/History of Art)
Business Studies (Economics)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

LIST C
Unsuitable A-levels
Accounting
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Photography
Physical Education
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism

I have 2 suitable and one big NO NO (I did physical education.... :rolleyes: )
Reply 19
The entry requirements for pilot are pretty strict across all three services.

Personally unless there is a family connection with one service or they have an aircraft that the other two services do not have I would apply for the RAF.

In terms of qualifications you have to bear in mind that applying for pilot is one of the hardest things to do, it is very competitive. The selectors can pick and choose. Historically you needed a degree but that has changed a lot. You will however need at least 3 A levels or 4 Scottish higher that include Maths and English, a science would also be advantageous.

How old are you right now? The forces tend to like someone with a little life experience when applying for officer. Remember you may end up in charge of a large group of manpower and if you are some spotty little kid who has never been out of his county and hangs on his mothers apron strings will NOT be taken seriously.

The forces can be a good career if you apply for the correct branch and it all goes in your favor.

If I was a school attender I would aim for 3 A levels in the subjects I discussed. Join the ATC if you under the upper age limit and take it from there. Try to speak to as many service people as possible. The reality is very different to the glossy magazines they hand out at school fares!

The RAF offers scholarships that allow you to attend Uni, have a little income and prepare for your Private Pilots License. Try and find out about the opportunities open to you if you were to go down that road.

As for the NVQ level 3 its neither bad nor that great either. A lot of these courses claim great things but there is no substitute for good grades, a good attitude, relevant charity work/activities and a good knowledge of the service and branch you are applying for.

If you want it bad enough you will get there. However do not be disapointed if you get all the way to say Cranwell for aptitude tests and you get offered Weapon Systems operator (Navigator) rather than pilot. Its bloody tough,

Good Luck!

Latest