The Student Room Group

Trump is expected to address Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel

Scroll to see replies

Aside from upsetting most of the international community (the Middle East in particular), I don't see any legitimate reason as to why this is something he's insisting on doing (other than pandering to his base of course, which he needs right now). The US have managed to hold up their alliance perfectly well throughout the years with the status quo, so other than causing a distraction from his numerous issues back home, I've yet to see a positive reason for this.
Did I mention before that Trump is trash? I must have on one of the other threads.

He is entering into a territory that his pea-sized brain has no understanding of, and clearly has not considered the dire consequences. Like most of his actions, this appears to be driven by more petty immaturity.
Original post by Chaz254
Did TSR mods change my thread title?

The current title is not the one I created.

There were two threads on the same topic created so I merged them together. Whilst you remained the OP it should've kept your title, if it hasn't it's possible it took the title of the other thread.
Trump needs to stop being a big capitalist baby >:frown:
Oh wow, such amazing news. Trump never fails to impress me, long live Israel, down with palestine !! :biggrin:
Mr Trump does not take any prisoners.
Original post by Chaz254
Did TSR mods change my thread title?

The current title is not the one I created.

Perhaps your title was inaccurate or misleading?
Well it puts paid to the idea the USA is an honest broker and gives the impression they are just Israel's enforcer.
Peace talks cant really go on with the US as intermediaries.

It was only a few months ago he was busily gladhanding the Arabs and selling them billions of $ of weaponry.

You wont get peace in the middle east till this is settled.
From a biblical perspective there is a big difference between an Israeli and an Israelite.
Original post by Chaz254
Correct - No positive or logical reason to do this. However we know that he's bowing down to the Israeli lobby, like all US presidents do. The US are Israel puppets.

As Chomsky says, this is a bit like saying the tail wags the dog.

Israel is very useful to US geopolitical influences in the region, but ultimately the US has generally only supported it as far as it serves Washington's interests. For instance, in the 1970s, when Egypt under Sadat was willing to move from the Soviet sphere to the American one if Israel would return Sinai, the US spent a lot of effort dragging Israel to the table. Ultimately, the US has other important allies/clients in the region - Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, etc - that mean it needs to keep Israel under control.

It's true, there has, in the past 25-30 years, been an increasingly growing hawkish and unconditionally pro-Israel and pro-Likud element in the US politics. But it's not really coming from any "Jewish lobby". Jewish Americans are overwhelmingly Democrat-voting moderate liberals who, while pro-Israel, aren't too thrilled about the heavy rightward swing of Israeli politics in recent years, and often resent the idea (implied by the Israeli right every so often) that Jewish American life and culture is somehow less valid or worthy than Jewish Israeli life and culture.

The main hardline pro-Israel constituency in the US is actually the fundamentalist Christian right, who support Israel because of weird esoteric Biblical reasons.
Original post by anarchism101

The main hardline pro-Israel constituency in the US is actually the fundamentalist Christian right, who support Israel because of weird esoteric Biblical reasons.

Speaking from the word of God - we need to be highly vigilant in the end times of a group of people who shall claim they are Jews, but are not. As God Himself warns.

Revelation 2:9

I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and i know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Revelation 3:9

Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Can not ignore the word of God.
This is potentially a cunning and cynical move on Trump's part. Is he doing it to show the American people the (doubtless severe) reaction from Arab countries and Muslims in order to justify his travel ban? I fear people will play right into his hands. The more American flags they burn, the more violence - Trump can say "look at this... I told you we needed a travel ban".
And wishes to move the US Embassy there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-middle-east-42255592

What will the consequences be? What's your opinion on Trump's latest move?
I think this is incredibly reckless of him to make this call, there is deep religious and political history around Jerusalem and this could have massive ramifications. I think Trump is just too stupid and arrogant to understand to importance of this city.
You're evaluating a diplomatic embarrassment.

Israel is very useful to US geopolitical influences in the region, but ultimately the US has generally only supported it as far as it serves Washington's interests.
How does recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, destroying a two-state solution and reinforcing a de jure apartheid reality, angering Arab allies and Turkey, rendering the US as totally untrustworthy and unsuitable mediators for the conflict, etc, serve the US's interests?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
How does recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, destroying a two-state solution and reinforcing a de jure apartheid reality, angering Arab allies and Turkey, serve the US's interests?

It doesn't. It's another example of Trump's general lack of understanding of much except how to rile up his base.

Trump is breaking with pragmatism in favour of hawkishness for its own sake.
(edited 6 years ago)
It doesn't. It's another example of Trump's general lack of understanding of much except how to rile up his base.

Trump is breaking with pragmatism in favour of hawkishness for its own sake.

This isn't just Trump though - top Democrats (such as Chuck Schumer) also supported this move.
Why is the Israeli Palestinian conflict given so much media prominence? The obsession we have over it astounds me. It is a peripheral regional squabble with no global significance whatsoever. There are bigger issues in the world, like what's happening in Myanmar with regards to the Rohingya, or the conflict in Ukraine, or even the civil war in Syria. Israel Palestine is so overblown.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending