The Student Room Group

"Silence breakers" named as Time Person of the Year

Scroll to see replies

I like what they've done - very original and groundbreaking. Trump is a reactionary drone who doesn't do a single influential thing other than spread reactionary crap.
Reply 21
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I like what they've done - very original and groundbreaking. Trump is a reactionary drone who doesn't do a single influential thing other than spread reactionary crap.

But we all talk about him every day so clearly that's influential, whether you like him or not (not in my case).

I don't think the TIME award has to always be something that we should be pleased about. That's not the point of it.
That's more than one person.

okay

Original post by Notnek
But we all talk about him every day so clearly that's influential, whether you like him or not (not in my case).

I don't think the TIME award has to always be something that we should be pleased about. That's not the point of it.

Didn't Trump get it last year though?
They honored a collective?

How bold.
Original post by Notnek
I just think with Trump being in the news literally every day, he has clearly had more influence, with the silence breakers in second place. Him winning it last year shouldn't have been a reason for him not to win it this year.

But he hasn't really done anything. Unless you count being exposed as a Russian stooge as 'doing something'.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I like what they've done - very original and groundbreaking.

Is it though? They've previously had 'The Peacemakers', 'The Whistleblowers', 'The American Soldiers', 'The Good Samaritans', 'Ebola Fighters', 'The Protesters', 'You', etc
Reply 26
Original post by Captain Haddock
But he hasn't really done anything. Unless you count being exposed as a Russian stooge as 'doing something'.

Here's a few:

Saying that both sides were behind the violence in Charlottesville
The war of arguments with Kim Jong Un
Tweeting three anti-Muslim videos
Recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel

These are all small things but very influential because of who he is.
Original post by MrDystopia
I mean if we're talking direct influence and being in the news every day, every US President should win it every year (which I believe every President has done at some point or another) given stories are present each day of something they do.
I think (may be wrong) every president apart from one has been the person of the year for the year they were elected. Can't remember the one or why though.:erm:
Reply 28
It had to be trump there were 10 nominees for the award trump and 2 only relevant because of trump (dreamers and mueller)

The silence breakers weren’t even a story until the end of the year whereas trump has been in the news pretty much everyday and not just because of the Russia investigation my phone went off with news about trump doing something today (recognising the capital of Israel)
Original post by Notnek
Here's a few:

I mean that last one happened the same day the award was announced and the other three are just stupid things that a powerful person happened to do. If the queen publicly defecated in Trafalgar Square it'd be huge news but she wouldn't be getting any awards for it.
Reply 30
I don't know, you have half the world aflame yet the person or group who has had 'the biggest effect' are these people? Seems fishy to me.
Reply 31
I mean that last one happened the same day the award was announced and the other three are just stupid things that a powerful person happened to do. If the queen publicly defecated in Trafalgar Square it'd be huge news but she wouldn't be getting any awards for it.

"Stupid things that a powerful person happened to do". I agree but that doesn't mean they weren't influential. The "award" is for being influential.
Original post by Notnek
"Stupid things that a powerful person happened to do". I agree but that doesn't mean they weren't influential. The "award" is for being influential.

I guess you could argue his actions 'influenced' a media backlash but describing them as 'influential' is a bit of a stretch.
Reply 33
I guess you could argue his actions 'influenced' a media backlash but describing them as 'influential' is a bit of a stretch.

Not just a media backlash. For example the Charlottesville comments divided the whole nation and were the only thing that Americans were talking about. It also spread to the rest of the world.

These are clearly influential acts and there is no one more inflential in the world currently in my opinion. Everyone talks about him, normally for the wrong reasons.
Moved to International.
Original post by Chaz254
Agree but it must be pointed out that he's in the news everyday because the media is hysterical over him and report every little thing he does and every little thing that may remotely be connected to Trump. They only do it for ratings. He calls them Fake News so they continue to constantly clog up their news with Trump stuff.

Nope. He just keeps doing stupid stuff. You trump supporters just hope one day theyll let go of it lmao
Original post by Notnek
Here's a few:

All 4 of which makes him look like a total moron. Influence suggests he's somehow changed people's opinions or has affected the plane of discussion. He's done that last year, but this year it's been nothing of the sort.
I thought it was a band.
Original post by Notnek

Surely Donald Trump should have won it?

you're joking, right?
Reply 39
Original post by MyFightSong
you're joking, right?

Why shouldn’t he?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending