The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bright star
yeah so how can you be combining maths and f maths ASs to form a maths a level? are you sure you can do this? have you just explained badly?

It's the way my school used to do Maths/FM (though the syllabus has changed now so it's a little different) - rather than work on Pure 4,5,6 modules for FM which required e.g. P3 knowledge we hadn't covered in normal Maths, we basically did an accelerated course, so we finished 6 Maths modules at the end of L6th (though we were only actually examined in 4, and took the final two - P3 and M2) in January of U6th. We then spent U6th doing Further Maths - but I dropped out because I didn't want to do FM, just wanted to get Maths out of the way quickly! So I went to about 1 lesson a week for "revision," sat my two modules in January and was all sorted.

I don't know how the new modules work; we didn't have any of this Core business when I did them, but I would imagine it's still possible to do this way.

Unforgiven, the way I would get round it is to not get your A-level certificated/cashed in until next summer - that's what I did, so the grade came through at the same time as all the others even though I knew what it already was from my module marks. Don't know if this is still possible.
Unforgiven
1st year - all the A level modules: c1,c2,c3,c4,s1,m1
2nd year - FP modules

Therefore I can do my A levels in one year

blimey!! do people actually pass their next year? how do you do all your FP modules at once?!?
Reply 22
krisstassen
guys I have looked all over..where does it say for ucl that its one sitting

Everywhere but the Frequently Asked Questions on the UCL website?

(Unforgiven) - it's still in the FAQ, so I'd guess it's still enforced.

RF&UCMS

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/prospective-students/faq/index.htm#q2

Q2. Which subjects should I study?

GCE A and AS Levels
You should study three A-levels plus an additional AS-level. Chemistry must be studied at A-level. Biology must be studied at either A or AS-level. A candidate can have a free choice of other subjects. However, students cannot offer 2 'mathematical' A-levels as part of their three A-level combination; for example offering Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths at A-level and Biology at AS-level would not be acceptable. General Studies A-level is acceptable only as an alternative to the additional AS-level (the same will apply to Critical Thinking from 2009 entry onwards). Three A-level subjects must be taken in one sitting to demonstrate that a candidate can cope with the associated workload. This means that A-levels taken 'early' will still be considered as part of a candidate's academic profile but would not form part of the offer (which is based on three A-levels taken in one sitting).

We also require grade B in both English Language and Mathematics at GCSE.

We wish to actively encourage students to broaden their studies as much as possible. Some preference will be given to those applicants who will offer an non-science subject as one of their A or AS-levels. However, based on past experience at least 50% of applicants will offer all science subjects, and we would not want to discourage very bright students who would make suitable doctors from applying.

Pff, I want a diploma in internet information searching... :p:
Elles
Everywhere but the Frequently Asked Questions on the UCL website?

(Unforgiven) - it's still in the FAQ, so I'd guess it's still enforced.

Pff, I want a diploma in internet information searching... :p:

Hahah thanks...

I take it best thing is if u dont get the grades..like if u get ABB..then decline all your grades and then do year 13 ad try get AAB or AAA or whatever..its a silly rule..UCL seem pretty picky for a uni..doesnt bode well eh!
Reply 24
krisstassen
Hahah thanks...

I take it best thing is if u dont get the grades..like if u get ABB..then decline all your grades and then do year 13 ad try get AAB or AAA or whatever..its a silly rule..UCL seem pretty picky for a uni..doesnt bode well eh!

It really isn't a silly rule. an A at A level is 480/600 - 80%. would you be happy if your doctor couldn't cope with his modules that can be retaken 3 times over a two year period, with multiple attempts at coursework possible and papers and markschemes freely avaliable?

Wake up call - Uni = 1 retake and then buggered.
Wangers
It really isn't a silly rule. an A at A level is 480/600 - 80%. would you be happy if your doctor couldn't cope with his modules that can be retaken 3 times over a two year period, with multiple attempts at coursework possible and papers and markschemes freely avaliable?

Wake up call - Uni = 1 retake and then buggered.

U seem to disagree with me whatever the opp so I will not stoop as low as yourself or show myself to be as childish as u..
but say If u are on an A for your subject going into the last round of exams...and due to a very hard paper...or just 20 minutes of mayhem...u end up missing out very narrowly on anA....surely that shouldnt mean that entry to medicine is completely denied...even if u are prepared to resit the entire year....which is pretty hard and requires determination and motivation...I am presuming that to get in someone would want AAA........

I wouldnt give a damn if my doctor resat his a levels when he was 18 years of age....you seem to forget that there are 5 years of more scrutiny before a person graduates plus training..plus guidance from senior professors,consultants....and any holes in the persons medical acumen will show up then....
As for failings and dropouts go...which you are probably going to argue back with....a person resitting has the same likelihood of dropouts as someone who aced A levels...

I know someone who got 11astars atgcse, 4As at level..passed every med school exam with flying colours and dropped out of liverpool med school in his last year cos he was struggling..
I also have come across people who hav struggled..repeated A levels...gone onto uni and graduated and are now working well....
krisstassen
U seem to disagree with me whatever the opp so I will not stoop as low as yourself or show myself to be as childish as u..
but say If u are on an A for your subject going into the last round of exams...and due to a very hard paper...or just 20 minutes of mayhem...u end up missing out very narrowly on anA....surely that shouldnt mean that entry to medicine is completely denied...even if u are prepared to resit the entire year....which is pretty hard and requires determination and motivation...I am presuming that to get in someone would want AAA........

I wouldnt give a damn if my doctor resat his a levels when he was 18 years of age....you seem to forget that there are 5 years of more scrutiny before a person graduates plus training..plus guidance from senior professors,consultants....and any holes in the persons medical acumen will show up then....
As for failings and dropouts go...which you are probably going to argue back with....a person resitting has the same likelihood of dropouts as someone who aced A levels...
I know someone who got 11astars atgcse, 4As at level..passed every med school exam with flying colours and dropped out of liverpool med school in his last year cos he was struggling..
I also have come across people who hav struggled..repeated A levels...gone onto uni and graduated and are now working well....

where did this come from? i don't know what i really think about it but you seem very sure about this. also for the record, liverpool students sit their finals in 4th year. to drop out in final year would mean dropping out while in an environment where if you attend you pass more or less. i don't think it was the course academics that they were struggling with :wink:
bright star
where did this come from? i don't know what i really think about it but you seem very sure about this. also for the record, liverpool students sit their finals in 4th year. to drop out in final year would mean dropping out while in an environment where if you attend you pass more or less. i don't think it was the course academics that they were struggling with :wink:

Its not on paper anywhere...but I was expecting this guy to say something like you wont pass med school if u cant do A levels..which imo would be as likely as it is unlikely

As for the liverpool med student...I never discussed it..I dont know him veyr well..hes my friends cousin...but surely its a tad silly to waste all that effort dropping out final year.....forget the degree..thats what at least 15k down the drainand so many years of your life...u surely cannot suggest that something else would tempt someone to drop out of med school in the last year??..i cant think of anything apart from just struggling with academics...not being happy with the NHS...hooked on drugs(which this guys surely isnt) or family tragedy(again thats not true)
you mean you made all of this up? nice going....
bright star
you mean you made all of this up? nice going....

Can you read??...nice going...
They were my THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS on the matter

As for the liverpool med student...i never made it up..in fact u made up the fact that he dropped out cos of non academical issues...cos that makes sense...drop out of a 5 year med course cos of some :wink: ..dunno what u were implying
you don't have any exams.... how can it be academic??

Latest

Trending

Trending