The Student Room Group

Would it be stupid to learn to drive in an automatic?

I've had about 26 manual lessons and I'm so bad that even my instructor is recommending that I have automatic lessons at this point. I think it'd be great for me as my biggest problem is definitely the clutch and the gears and I really just want to get driving as soon as possible.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah do it
I mean sure but I'd rather take 100 lessons to get a manual right, than cop-out and have an auto-only license. I couldn't even do my job with one of those.
Original post by okayseoul
I've had about 26 manual lessons and I'm so bad that even my instructor is recommending that I have automatic lessons at this point. I think it'd be great for me as my biggest problem is definitely the clutch and the gears and I really just want to get driving as soon as possible.

I struggled very hard with a manual. Can’t even remember how many lessons I had and i couldn’t grasp it at all, thought i hated driving and would never be able to do it. I gave up. That was 4 years ago when i was 17. Then 6 months ago I had my first ever automatic lesson. I loved it. i remember feeling so happy after the first auto lesson that I cried to my partner with relief. I explained to my new instructor how I had felt previously in a manual, and how automatic was so different, and I vividly remember him saying “You can see yourself doing the driving test now can’t you??” :smile:. It was a lovely feeling. I didn’t get much support off family and friends initially, there seems to be some weird perception that automatic transmission is a cop out when it REALLY isn’t. especially if it makes you feel better and more safe. And it meant the world to me considering that I suffer from severe anxiety. In my opinion, automatic driving is so much easier and more pleasurable, and I had 0 trouble finding my first automatic car with a relatively low budget (i have a 2010 Toyota Aygo, semi-automatic). I haven’t officially passed my test yet, with my first driving test tomorrow. But i never thought i would get this far!!! Automatic transmission is the reason why I have the freedom of driving a car. Don’t mind what other people say about automatic cars!! People told me that cars would be more expensive (false), that i’d have trouble finding one (false) and that I’d never be able to drive a manual car! (true, but i don’t want to bloody drive one, that’s the point!!!). My advice would be to have an automatic driving lesson and see how you feel. Good luck :smile:
my friend changed to an automatic and is so much more positive about her driving now
Original post by abbi_1996
I struggled very hard with a manual. Can’t even remember how many lessons I had and i couldn’t grasp it at all, thought i hated driving and would never be able to do it. I gave up. That was 4 years ago when i was 17. Then 6 months ago I had my first ever automatic lesson. I loved it. i remember feeling so happy after the first auto lesson that I cried to my partner with relief.

I explained to my new instructor how I had felt previously in a manual, and how automatic was so different, and I vividly remember him saying “You can see yourself doing the driving test now can’t you??” :smile:. It was a lovely feeling. I didn’t get much support off family and friends initially, there seems to be some weird perception that automatic transmission is a cop out when it REALLY isn’t. especially if it makes you feel better and more safe.

And it meant the world to me considering that I suffer from severe anxiety. In my opinion, automatic driving is so much easier and more pleasurable, and I had 0 trouble finding my first automatic car with a relatively low budget (i have a 2010 Toyota Aygo, semi-automatic). I haven’t officially passed my test yet, with my first driving test tomorrow. But i never thought i would get this far!!! Automatic transmission is the reason why I have the freedom of driving a car.

Don’t mind what other people say about automatic cars!! People told me that cars would be more expensive (false), that i’d have trouble finding one (false) and that I’d never be able to drive a manual car! (true, but i don’t want to bloody drive one, that’s the point!!!). My advice would be to have an automatic driving lesson and see how you feel. Good luck :smile:

(Making this easier to read for everyone else so no-one suffers the same pain my eyes just did)]
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nevershear
(Making this easier to read for everyone else so no-one suffers the same pain my eyes just did)

lol your poor eyes.
(edited 6 years ago)
lol your poor eyes.

Also your post is factually incorrect for so many reasons:

Automatic cars are more expensive than manuals. The automatic version of my car is £2200 more (realistically in a dealer you'll probably pay 1300 more tops). Why in any way would it make sense for it to not be when the parts are more expensive. Don't believe me? Wait until you have any kind of repair that involves the transmission.
No-one will have trouble finding an automatic, but it's far easier to find manuals of a specific model than automatics. If I put my postcode into autotrader now I'll find 5x as many manuals than automatics on any model of car. Test me.
Some jobs requires a full manual license, usually because they have a manual fleet since it's cheaper to maintain.
Automatics for the most part have awful fuel efficiency. The recent ones like for example, the Porsche boxter or the Fiat 500 have fared a lot better than their manual counterparts though.
The control is better in a manual, cornering in a gear you do not want to be in is not nice.
Auto insurance is more expensive.

If you are better off and feel safer in an auto, so be in, in my city you are for the most part better off driving an automatic car due to congestion (but you'll find most of the people driving them still hold a full license). But don't give incorrect information.
(edited 6 years ago)
Also your post is factually incorrect for so many reasons:

Automatic cars are more expensive than manuals. The automatic version of my car is £2200 more. Why in any way would it make sense for it to not be when the parts are more expensive. Don't believe me? Wait until you have any kind of repair that involves the transmission.
No-one will have trouble finding an automatic, but it's far easier to find manuals of a specific model than automatics. If I put my postcode into autotrader now I'll find 5x as many manuals than automatics on any model of car. Test me.
Some jobs requires a full manual license, usually because they have a manual fleet since it's cheaper to maintain.
Automatics for the most part have awful fuel efficiency. The recent ones like for example, the Porsche boxer or the Fiat 500 have fared a lot better than their manual counterparts though.
The control is better in a manual, cornering in a gear you do not want to be in is not nice.
Auto insurance is more expensive.

If you are better off and feel safer in an auto, so be in, in my city you are for the most part better off driving an automatic car due to congestion (but you'll find most of the people driving them still hold a full license). But don't give incorrect information.

I guess we have different experiences. Where I live it in not highly congested at all, I live in a quiet Welsh valley.

I had no problem finding a car and no problem with the price. My purpose here was to support the original poster as I have experience with anxiety in general, and with anxiety regarding driving. A lot of people (like you) like to share negative comments regarding automatic which you are entitled to, and maybe in your opinion manual cars are more practical, but if somebody would be more comfortable to try automatic then so be it. That is all I suggested.

I am not interested in debating. My original post was to the starter of this thread. I have no time to discuss trivial things like the spacing between my post. ha
I guess we have different experiences. Where I live it in not highly congested at all, I live in a quiet Welsh valley.

I had no problem finding a car and no problem with the price. My purpose here was to support the original poster as I have experience with anxiety in general, and with anxiety regarding driving. A lot of people (like you) like to share negative comments regarding automatic which you are entitled to, and maybe in your opinion manual cars are more practical, but if somebody would be more comfortable to try automatic then so be it. That is all I suggested.

I am not interested in debating. My original post was to the starter of this thread. I have no time to discuss trivial things like the spacing between my post. ha

It's not a negative comment, it's just providing the facts so OP can make an informed decision. I'd like to know the truth if I'm about to commit to something that down the line may cost me more money or time. If you don't have time to discuss, it begs the question why you are part of a forum, where the sole purpose is discussion.
It's not a negative comment, it's just providing the facts so OP can make an informed decision. I'd like to know the truth if I'm about to commit to something that down the line may cost me more money or time. If you don't have time to discuss, it begs the question why you are part of a forum, where the sole purpose is discussion.

Clearly I said i have no time to discuss TRIVIAL things like the spacing in my comments. gdbye
All of you geniuses are forgetting the main thing, driving a manual is more fun. It's hard to put a price on it. I can think of few greater pleasures in the world than driving a supercar with manual transmission.
Original post by okayseoul

To be honest just do the automatic. I learnt manual and pass my test first time and i actually enjoyed manual. However all of my cars since passing has been automatic! and to be quite honest it is so much better to drive. esp when stuck in London traffic. I would never buy a manual car even if they are cheaper. automatic is the future anyway!!!
Original post by gapyearlads
All of you geniuses are forgetting the main thing, driving a manual is more fun. It's hard to put a price on it. I can think of few greater pleasures in the world than driving a supercar with manual transmission.

Fun if you get the room to do so. When I pull out of my road at 7AM and see red lights followed by half a mile of traffic, I pull a very sad face and slowly trudge along in third saying "okay :frown:"

Original post by indigo654
To be honest just do the automatic. I learnt manual and pass my test first time and i actually enjoyed manual. However all of my cars since passing has been automatic! and to be quite honest it is so much better to drive. esp when stuck in London traffic. I would never buy a manual car even if they are cheaper. automatic is the future anyway!!!

But the point is you still have your full manual license. Being a Londoner I know your pain however I genuinely enjoy manuals tbf and a full manual is required where I work anyway. The tugs/flatbeds are automatic, but the mail, avi and clo vans are all manual.

@IWMTom do youse wanna put your sunday roast down and weigh in for us chap, since I'm probably not entirely accurate in my above points but more experienced input is always nice.
(edited 6 years ago)
So I'm 17, and passed my driving test third time at the beginning of last month. I learned and passed in a manual car, but a month later I'm driving around in an automatic Renault Clio 2001. I love it haha. I was able to drive a manual car, but the smoothness and ease of an automatic is just so, so good.

Things for you to consider:
- If you ever go on holiday, are you willing / able to pay extra for an automatic hire car?
- Are you willing / able to pay a higher price on insurance? Often It's not considerable, but it's there.
- If you are wanting to work in a field that involves a lot of driving, would you be able to select an automatic, rather than being forced into a manual?
- If your friends/family drive manuals and you need to borrow their car you will be unable to.

These are just some things to think about when making your decision, stuff that only you can really answer.

As I said, I drive an Automatic, it's great, slightly more costly, and I do get a little abuse from other people, but at the end of the day it's what you want out of driving. I only drive to get from place A to place B in moderate comfort and ease for both myself and my passengers. Other people enjoy the actual use of the clutch and the ability to change gear when they wish. They enjoy the skill aspect behind driving.

But yeah, that's my two cents.
Reply 15
Fun if you get the room to do so. When I pull out of my road at 7AM and see red lights followed by half a mile of traffic, I pull a very sad face and slowly trudge along in third saying "okay :frown:"

But the point is you still have your full manual license. Being a Londoner I know your pain however I genuinely enjoy manuals tbf and a full manual is required where I work anyway. The tugs/flatbeds are automatic, but the mail, avi and clo vans are all manual.

@IWMTom do youse wanna put your sunday roast down and weigh in for us chap, since I'm probably not entirely accurate in my above points but more experienced input is always nice.

Learning in an automatic is pretty silly, especially when most hire cars and courtesy cars are manuals (that's something you'll almost never be able to drive without upgrading your licence and redoing your test!)
I'm currently driving manual, gonna take my test tomorrow but even my instructor told me that he doesn't really understand why people bother to learn in manual's anymore. The biggest reason, I think, is because a manual licence also allows you to drive auto. But he told me that if you never actually intend to drive manual in the future, then it's totally pointless. You usually need way more lessons, which is obviously expensive. I could pay for an actual car with the money that I spent on manual lessons. 7 months into learning to drive, over £2000 spent on lessons, and one failed test later I am very much regretting learning to drive manual. My sister, my parents, essentially my entire family and all of my friends except one drive automatic. I hear most public transport vehicles are auto too. So what's the point? If manual is not working out for you now, and you know you'll only blow more money learning in a manual car, I would switch.
I’m learning in manual and have my test in less than 2 weeks.I’ve heard that automatics are the future as oil is on its way out but that’s quite a few years down the line. Until then I would prefer to learn in a manual and be able to drive either car. I love manually going through the gears and using the clutch, get a sense of pride by doing the skill set for it.
If you are really struggling with manual then there's no shame in learning automatic. Since you've had 26 manual lessons already learning automatic probably won't even take that long since you'll know the rules of the road by now so you can get your automatic license and drive automatic while continuing with manual lessons afterwards if you wanted to. Automatic is boring though, manual is a lot more enjoyable.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
At first I was thinking to go for automatic. But after seeing all my friends going for manual, I decided not be a "pussy" how they would call me lol and for my dad that kinda made me go for manual. After 15 normal lessons I took like 10 more I guess. If I wouldn't had connections I wouldn't pass my exam from the first time, because I struggled hard with the lowering gears part. Although I can drive it 7/10. Now I drive an automatic car and I know i won't ever drive a manual, maybe in the case when I won't have an ability to travel with my own car, but even then I rather take the bus than drive the mechanic car lol. I kinda recommend going for automatic if you have problems driving the manual one and if you 99% sure that you will never will drive a manual car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending