The Student Room Group

Ocean house student accomodation plymouth college of art

Just got allocated in apartment 5 room 7 of ocean house in plymouth at plymouth college of art just wanted to know if anyone else was in the same flat as me .
Hey Alicia_Martin5

Glad you decided to join us at Plymouth College Of Art, I'm currently living in Ocean House and found my flat mates through a facebook event that Clever Student Lets had created inviting me to via email. I found it less daunting talking to some of the people I was going to live with before I moved in as we kind of already knew each other. It may be early on in the year for CSL to do this as many people are still deciding which uni they want to go with, so if you haven't received one just yet don't worry they will probably send you a link soon.

Other than that, Ocean House is in a great spot in terms of getting to uni which is a 5 minute walk away and depending on where you want to do a food shop you have a Tesco on the high-street that is a 3 minute walk away or a Co-op on the Barbican which is literally a minute walk; if you are on a budget and want to shop at Lidl or Aldi then you have to walk about 20 minutes to get to them. But if I go there I usually buy in bulk and get little bits here and there from Tesco. Also a good tip before you move in, which I’ve done and it's saved me loads of money, is to go to a wholesalers (Bookers or Macro etc) and bulk buy on essentials like pasta, rice, toiletries, washing powder etc. really does help in the long run.

I hope this helps you, and you find everyone well.

Callum :smile:
First Year Graphic Design Student and Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Hey, I'm not in the same flat as you but i am going to be in Ocean house! I'll be in apartment 4 room 7!
heyaa! I'm in flat 6 I think! anyone know how many flats they are in occean and whether we have a communal area? also I'm so worried people will steal my food haha... just me?
Heya,

Once you have found more people living in Ocean House, it might be a good idea to get a group chat going so that you can all get to know each other and find your housemates!

As for Ocean House itself, Callum wrote some useful info above about the location and his top tips. Ocean House does have a communal area, on the bottom floor; within this is a communal (and free!) pool table, as well as sofas and a TV. Last year during Freshers there was a movie night in the communal area which was free - and they were giving out popcorn! It’s a nice space to hang out in, and close to PCA so you can always go there in breaks.

As for food, you will be given your own cupboard in your flat with your room number on it. I use mine for my cups, glasses and foods like pasta and crisps. Then, as a flat, you can divide up the communal cupboards, fridge and freezer so that everyone has enough space. I know that a lot of the people who bulk buy also have space in their rooms for foods like pasta and rice, and some people bring their own mini fridges and that sort of thing, too.

In general though, you have nothing to worry about. My flat all share our things and borrow bits and pieces off of each other all the time (asking, of course). No one wants their stuff stolen, so no one steals anyone else’s. Once you all get to know each other it’s really useful to be able to borrow a splash of milk rather than trekking to the shops at 11 pm.

I hope you all settle in well, do pop any more questions about Ocean House, PCA or Plymouth in this thread and Callum and I should be able to help you out!

Harriet :smile:
Original post by artyfarty99
heyaa! I'm in flat 6 I think! anyone know how many flats they are in occean and whether we have a communal area? also I'm so worried people will steal my food haha... just me?
glad to see I'm not the only one worried about that and what course will you be doing at the university?
Hey , theres a facebook page that tells you what flats people are in! If you want to find people in your flat i suggest you go on there! Im in flat 6 so we will be neighbours but I have found some people in my flat already!! :smile:
Original post by artyfarty99

Hey, I'm in flat 6 as well :smile:
Don't worry i won't steal your food haha
And there are 9 flat and they is a communal area thats quite nice!
(edited 6 years ago)
Heya, anyamoses mentioned a Facebook event for PCA Students in Cleverstudentlets halls, which is linked.

That is how I found all of my flatmates, then we made a group chat to get to know each other and see who was bringing what to save space!

Definitely would recommend that as a way to find everyone!
Harriet :smile:
Student Ambassador and First Year Photography Student
(edited 5 years ago)
and is it good tho? are the rooms big and have nice storage? I've read many bad reviews about cleverstudentlets so I don't know.....
and is it good tho? I've read some bad reviews about cleverstudentlets overal so yeah.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending