The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeh I noticed that aswell... cheeky aye! lol well it isnt done on a first come first served basis... plus I'm not applying untill Ive seen the university and the residences on the 5th march. Don't you think its a tad over priced on the catered side?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
me and my friends are still waiting for offers/rejections! In a way consider yourself lucky to be worrying about accomodation!

Yes I am very annoyed waiting...
I'm a definite self catered girl. Catered is far too overprised for what is serves up night and day.

Its not a first come first served basis!!?!?!?!?!
What the hell basis is it then?
.Ed.
me and my friends are still waiting for offers/rejections! In a way consider yourself lucky to be worrying about accomodation!

Yes I am very annoyed waiting...

Yeah i know i am. I just wish theyd stop messing me around. But i know how lucky i am to be in this postition at all. Believe me.
Reply 5
Charliewantstogotouni!
Yeah i know i am. I just wish theyd stop messing me around. But i know how lucky i am to be in this postition at all. Believe me.

This messing around people at every stage is very annoying. I had thought it would stop after offers had been given, but your experience shows the opposite. It looks like a stressful time leading up to september!
Reply 6
Charliewantstogotouni!
I'm a definite self catered girl. Catered is far too overprised for what is serves up night and day.

Not first come first served, all applicants are treated equally as long as you get it in before a certain date (sometime in june i think). I agree catered is ridiculously expensive... I mean 5700 for a room in Chancellors... I know thats sposed to be top of the notch but still, almost as dear as EBS. I can't cook so Im stuck with catering.... I think going into the halls for the social aspect is also a main part.

Edit: I do actually feel lucky to have gotten a offer so quickly, since I applied in late december, or on that matter an offer at all.
Frater
Not first come first served, all applicants are treated equally as long as you get it in before a certain date (sometime in june i think). I agree catered is ridiculously expensive... I mean 5700 for a room in Chancellors... I know thats sposed to be top of the notch but still, almost as dear as EBS. I can't cook so Im stuck with catering.... I think going into the halls for the social aspect is also a main part.

Edit: I do actually feel lucky to have gotten a offer so quickly, since I applied in late december, or on that matter an offer at all.

Me too me too.

Argh though. I would have thought accomodation was first come first served, but then again, i had no idea it wasnt. theres no info about that on the website.

ahhhh dear. Oh well, i think i might ring the office up. I'm just taking it a bit seriously cos im taking music, and im a cellist. And my cello, although not a double bass, granted, is still pretty big and heavy. Im used to carrying it around a lot, but not the sort of distances from the more outside accomodation places in edinburgh. Ah well. maybe i should forget about it for now and slow down with it all. eurgh.
Reply 8
http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/faq/showfaq.cfm go accommodation allocation
and
http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info/accommodation_guide/Accommodation_Full_Board.htm

That where the info is about the residences. I think you can put reasons onto your application form.
Thankyou very much Frater. Really helpful.

Ive just found such a cool thing, well, in my opinion :smile:
Ive bee using google maps for mostly everything when it comes to accom. at edinburgh, it shows me all the distances, and ive just noticed an option to chanhge the view to "satellite" and its an aeriel view of edinburgh, in real. Its so cool!! you can see george square and the park, and princes street, haha its awesome.

http://maps.google.com/

hehe.
Reply 10
No problem
Cool,... I cant wait to go see Edinburgh!
Reply 11
Charliewantstogotouni!

I think if you're Scottish or you had a gap year you're more likely to get what you want as they'll have your results earlier than others, and hence they can see if you're in so they can start sorting out the accommodation.
Charliewantstogotouni!
Is anyone else, (like me) obsessed with eds and is desp. trying to apply for accomodation?

Theyve changed the date for applying for 2008 now until the 21st.

I know that only thursday but it was originally THE 8TH.

Please stop changing it. Is anyone else getting annoyed?

I'm guessing they still have applications to administer so want to give everyone a 'fair shot'.

Possibly. :p:
Yeah spose, good point. well made. :smile:
They don't make accomodation offers until you get your results anyway. Unless you've got a unconditional. And Scottish folk will get offers first purely because they get their results first.
Reply 15
I wouldnt think they gave Edinburgh residents priority ... to the fact they already live there. Well at least they garuentee accommodation for first years, some unis dont even do that!
Reply 16
I doubt they give Edinburgh residents priority, I can't imagine many students who already live in Edinburgh would want to pay extra money for rent just so they could live in a flat with other students. I think they do give Scottish students priority however, just because they get their results before English students do. They're meant to guarantee accommodation for first years, but I had to live in a private flat with three other students because they accepted too many people. Sure, the uni did sort it all out, but I only found out where I was actually living a day or two before I was moving to Edinburgh, despite ringing them up every day for weeks. I knew another group of first year students who were living in private flats for the same reason, needless to say they were all English.
Reply 17
Date now extended to the 28th... this is really annoying!
Reply 18
I'm glad because I haven't heard anything yet and I hope I get in they're taking ages though
Dill
I doubt they give Edinburgh residents priority, I can't imagine many students who already live in Edinburgh would want to pay extra money for rent just so they could live in a flat with other students. I think they do give Scottish students priority however, just because they get their results before English students do. They're meant to guarantee accommodation for first years, but I had to live in a private flat with three other students because they accepted too many people. Sure, the uni did sort it all out, but I only found out where I was actually living a day or two before I was moving to Edinburgh, despite ringing them up every day for weeks. I knew another group of first year students who were living in private flats for the same reason, needless to say they were all English.

awwww maaaan. :s-smilie:

Ah well, maybe we should all forget about until May which is when they will probly extend the date till :smile: tut

Latest

Trending

Trending