The Student Room Group

AQA Triple Science revision guides - is CGP the gold standard?

Scroll to see replies

The Collins ones are very good not sure on prices but would recommend. I use the cpg ones and I’ve managed to cope but I do understand. Next year I get the Collins ones free from school do u not get some free ?
Reply 21
Original post by veryveryuncool
As the title says really. I'm in Year 10, studying the AQA Triple Science course, and my teachers are starting to really push getting a revision guide to my classes. Trouble is, I really can't stand the layout/design of the CGP ones - I find them impossible to revise from. Those are the only revision guides my teachers are recommending.

As someone aiming for 8s in all the sciences (probably end up with a 7 in Biology but I'll do my best), are the CGP guides the best ones on the market? Are there any other revision guides that cover the content in as much detail as I'll need to reach my target grades? I had a quick search but couldn't find much on the subject. If CGP are the gold standard for Triple I'll buy them, but I would find revision much easier if there was an alternative with the same amount of content, detail and (general consensus on) layout/structure. Thanks :smile:

I used the cgp revision guides but the layout was so overwhelming for me i’d open the book and then just immediately closed it, what saved my while revising for science was a website called seneca, it was so useful and made me feel like i was actually engaging in what I was revising. The notes I made in lessons were really important too, I relied on them way more than any of my revision guides/workbooks

Seneca: https://senecalearning.com/
In my opinion, revisions guides can be a waste of money sometimes. The specification is really useful and you can use freesciencelessons on YouTube or your teachers or any science book (or bite size etc) to fill in those gaps
Reply 23
Original post by username4187664
My personal favourite is the one that @euphrosynay recommended, and that is the Oxford ones. Our school gives us the full textbook free on Kerboodle, but here is the link for a physical copy of the Bio one. AQA Biology Textbook . You can work your way around to find the others.

I also really hate CGP, but to revise I usually make-do with Kerboodle textbook, Google and Past Papers.

I also have these textbooks on kerboodle, they're really good. for the questions at the end of every topic, where can you find the answers? I've just completed a whole set just to find that there were no answers at the back of the book
How about the free science lessons workbooks ? Aren’t they really good ?
Reply 25
I know that there are GCSE revision guides from scholastic , that r supposed to be rlly good to revise from, and have a clearer layout . However I only use CGP for science, for convenience but there are online websites with revision notes and tutorials etc like pmt physics and maths tutor and save my exams ...hope this helps :smile:
personally, I think it's down to your choice as to what you want and can learn from. My chemistry teacher was always telling us about different types of revision books avaliable. Solong as you buy the specific one for your exam board you will be fine as the book will match the spec and have everything you need in the. Some people I know don't even like revision guides so its all personal preference.
Below are the links to some of the books my teacher recommeded:
https://global.oup.com/education/content/secondary/series/oxford-revise-aqa-gcse-science/?view=ProductList&region=uk
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/science/physics/par47-grade-9-1-gcse-physics-aqa-revision-guide-wi
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/science/chemistry/cas45-grade-9-1-gcse-chemistry-aqa-complete-revisi
Reply 27
I absolutely HATED the CGP books. Whether they were revision guides or workbooks, I couldn't stand them so I never used them. Instead, I used the Kerboodle books and I lived off of past papers. And of course...the specifications are very important too. I got a grade 9 for bio and chem & a grade 8 in physics by doing all of that.
Reply 28
I have the CGP ones and they’re great. Basically I just use them and the school textbook to make sure I understand the content, then before exams I watch free science lessons they cover the whole specification very effectively and revise the flash cards I made from the CGP books. Predicted 999 this year.
Hi,
I also want to buy revision guides for AQA Science. And, I am doing triple science. I am genuinely pretty stuck on which guides to buy. I like the cgp complete revision and practice but I don't they are worth it as you can get a revision guide and a workbook with more exam questions for the same price. I am a year 10 student atleast after the holidays I will be in yr 10. And, I need help to decide. I think the cgp revision and practice guides are easier to read as they are less condensed but I absolutely despise the new single revision guides which have been recently released

These are crammed, ugly and hard to understand. But, I don't want to buy the revision and practice as I don't think/ I don't know if they are worth it. Would it be better for me to buy revision and practice books or revision book and workbooks for the same price. So, I simply want to know if I should buy the complete revision and practice guides or not?.
Reply 30
As the title says really. I'm in Year 10, studying the AQA Triple Science course, and my teachers are starting to really push getting a revision guide to my classes. Trouble is, I really can't stand the layout/design of the CGP ones - I find them impossible to revise from. Those are the only revision guides my teachers are recommending.

As someone aiming for 8s in all the sciences (probably end up with a 7 in Biology but I'll do my best), are the CGP guides the best ones on the market? Are there any other revision guides that cover the content in as much detail as I'll need to reach my target grades? I had a quick search but couldn't find much on the subject. If CGP are the gold standard for Triple I'll buy them, but I would find revision much easier if there was an alternative with the same amount of content, detail and (general consensus on) layout/structure. Thanks :smile:

idk much about gold standards, but i can say that when i was revising i used a mix of the specification and physics and maths tutors / save my exams own notes to revise even though theyre not really revision guides they did help to summarise the information accurately enough for me
Reply 31

Personally for me as a yr10 triple student I defo think the CGP books are the best for revision and consolidation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending