The Student Room Group

Gcse revision Easter break????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zahra_2001
omg you're so good in poetry! I guess I need to focus more on it cuz I always leave it to the end and I want to do literature for a levels. I suggest watching Mr bruff for English also I'm good in q5 so I usually do well
for history I love it but there is too much I also want to do it for a levels. But the thing is I do the wjec eduqas exam board and there aren't any resources or practice papers for it I've only found one for each unit also there aren't videos for it. and no I don't do the warfare unit I do medicine through time, Germany in transition, the development of the USA and Elizabeth
for science I watch primrose kitten she's sooo good and use the cgp revision book

How are you revising for history?
Original post by gothai7

Me personally for each topic I do a flash cards for each thing but broken down
Reply 22
Quizlet is good, I use it for French mostly to learn vocab. Also, I’d suggest doing short bursts of revision followed by a short break (e.g. 50 mins, 10 min break). In terms of making the actual revision bit fun... I don’t know really 😂😂 best I can recommend is give yourself a small reward each day for completing your revision that’s fun, I find that helps me stay focused.
Reply 23
Music really helps for me! I can never be bothered to revise but for some reason I’m more focused and motivated with it, I would recommend lo fi hiphop that’s specifically made for studying (there are lots of playlists/videos out there)

Also I find once I’ve done the first small bit, the rest is much easier to get on with, it’s like there’s a mental block but when I start it clears

Good luck with it all!
Reply 24
What options did you take?
Reply 25
Original post by Aleshadavis2611
Me personally for each topic I do a flash cards for each thing but broken down

Same here. I also stick up post-it notes that ask quick fire questions, such as ‘What were the decisions made at the Yalta conference?’ (I’m doing Conflict and Tension Between East and West) and if it’s stuck to my wardrobe door, every time I go to open it I have to answer the question (it gets a little repetitive 😂😂) then once I’m happy I know it, I’ll change it.
Original post by gothai7

I make notes on flash cards using the text books also my history teachers r amazing and made revision booklets for each unit. And after finishing my flash cards in planning to do practice questions my teacher made for each unit. although they aren't a lot of questions still wpuld be helpful. I just wish there were more resources for it. But what km worried mostly about is the timing in the exam (it's so short) and the fact that I can't remember any dates or u k facts and numbers
Original post by imo_x
Same here. I also stick up post-it notes that ask quick fire questions, such as ‘What were the decisions made at the Yalta conference?’ (I’m doing Conflict and Tension Between East and West) and if it’s stuck to my wardrobe door, every time I go to open it I have to answer the question (it gets a little repetitive 😂😂) then once I’m happy I know it, I’ll change it.

that's a great way but I'm too lazy and usually the stuff I stick on my walls I never read them
Original post by imo_x

That's a good idea. I'm going to do that, thank you.
Original post by bchalk
What options did you take?

The main 3 (eng maths science )
Business
Product Design
Art
History
Original post by imo_x

I’m doing Cold War, Elizabethan England, Nazi Germany and the one I hate the most is Warfare through time!!!!! This one is gonna pull my grade down so much, we did a mock recently and I got 50% and it was a grade 3!!
Original post by pottah
Music really helps for me! I can never be bothered to revise but for some reason I’m more focused and motivated with it, I would recommend lo fi hiphop that’s specifically made for studying (there are lots of playlists/videos out there)

Also I find once I’ve done the first small bit, the rest is much easier to get on with, it’s like there’s a mental block but when I start it clears

Good luck with it all!

Hey i’ll definitely give the music a go!! Thank you! So far I’ve done a mindmap on Jekyll and Hyde and done a biology paper 2 past paper (mainly looking through the mark scheme) as I’m clueless 😂
Reply 32
Original post by Zahra_2001
I make notes on flash cards using the text books also my history teachers r amazing and made revision booklets for each unit. And after finishing my flash cards in planning to do practice questions my teacher made for each unit. although they aren't a lot of questions still wpuld be helpful. I just wish there were more resources for it. But what km worried mostly about is the timing in the exam (it's so short) and the fact that I can't remember any dates or u k facts and numbers

I wish my history teacher did that! I agree, timing is really hard, you have to do so much in so little time. I’m planning to do timed past papers to hopefully help with this. To remember key dates and facts, I find using Quizlet to create little tests is really helpful to get me to learn them. I’ll then keep going back and go over the tests I make on Quizlet to ensure I’m not forgetting them.
Reply 33
Original post by Aleshadavis2611
I’m doing Cold War, Elizabethan England, Nazi Germany and the one I hate the most is Warfare through time!!!!! This one is gonna pull my grade down so much, we did a mock recently and I got 50% and it was a grade 3!!

I’m doing Cold War and Nazi Germany as well, then I’m doing Restoration England and Britain: Power and the People (which I find really confusing because my teacher jumps around a lot since the events aren’t really connected as such). I didn’t revise Cold War for my mock and I did really badly on it, it was only the other topics that pulled my grade up 😂😂 I’m made sure I revised it first this time 😂
this is what I'm doing; revising for 5 hours a day lol! I only do 4 subjects and I take a break between them.
I am currently doing note taking and doing mind maps with loads of colour and diagrams, they're on a3 pieces of paper and is helping so much! I put questions on the back and answer them. It's great and I'm feeling really optimistic about it.

My advice for the English Language exam is because I'm getting an 8/9 in it.
Just know the structures of the questions and you'll do good. The thing is you need to practice, we did paper 2 TWICE and I went up 17 marks the second time. Bottom line: you need to practice each question and know your stuff. Question 5 on paper one just requires SMART PERSON Techniques and paper 2 Q5 just requires you to know the structures; leaflet, review, essay, letters, speeches & articles. use this to help you. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgTyeLknQgWTWNImGo1FwcA

GOOD LUCK GUYS! YOU'LL DO GREAT!
Depends on the subject, if it is about using stuff you have learned on a variety of questions such as maths then just do a hard question. Then when you get it wrong look at their answer and try to decipher how they did it. Once you have done, do another question that requires you to use that method. Then be happy and relieved that you now know how to answer such a question! :tongue:
Original post by imo_x
I wish my history teacher did that! I agree, timing is really hard, you have to do so much in so little time. I’m planning to do timed past papers to hopefully help with this. To remember key dates and facts, I find using Quizlet to create little tests is really helpful to get me to learn them. I’ll then keep going back and go over the tests I make on Quizlet to ensure I’m not forgetting them.

I should use quizlet too but idk y I don't like revsing using website I never know y like I always prefer using paper
Original post by sharri.coco
this is what I'm doing; revising for 5 hours a day lol! I only do 4 subjects and I take a break between them.
I am currently doing note taking and doing mind maps with loads of colour and diagrams, they're on a3 pieces of paper and is helping so much! I put questions on the back and answer them. It's great and I'm feeling really optimistic about it.

My advice for the English Language exam is because I'm getting an 8/9 in it.
Just know the structures of the questions and you'll do good. The thing is you need to practice, we did paper 2 TWICE and I went up 17 marks the second time. Bottom line: you need to practice each question and know your stuff. Question 5 on paper one just requires SMART PERSON Techniques and paper 2 Q5 just requires you to know the structures; leaflet, review, essay, letters, speeches & articles. use this to help you. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgTyeLknQgWTWNImGo1FwcA

GOOD LUCK GUYS! YOU'LL DO GREAT!

Wow thank you so much!!!!!! Do you have any tips for Q5 for paper 1 the story writing because literally any random picture can come up and i’ll Be sitting their clueless wondering how to make it interesting s
Original post by imo_x
I’m doing Cold War and Nazi Germany as well, then I’m doing Restoration England and Britain: Power and the People (which I find really confusing because my teacher jumps around a lot since the events aren’t really connected as such). I didn’t revise Cold War for my mock and I did really badly on it, it was only the other topics that pulled my grade up 😂😂 I’m made sure I revised it first this time 😂

It’s so annoying my Cold War Exam is on the same day my English Language One is the one I’m failing so I’m gonna be so nerve racked!!
Original post by pottah

Good luck with it all!

Thank you I’m defo gonna try the one you recommended today!!! I’ll let you know how it goes, and yeah I hate revising but knowing I haven’t done any all day makes me feel so **** x

Quick Reply

Latest