The Student Room Group

Grading handwriting in gcses?

I've just started taking private lessons in English Lang and literature and submitted a couple of my past papers. My teacher kept fussing over my handwriting and saying how terrible it is. She said that the exam board won't even try to mark it if they can't understand anything. She also commented that my lower case f's have to be below the line kind of like a p. And in not sure if this is an age gap thing but I have never been taught to write my f's like that. She's making me really paranoid for the exam as I will of a lack of time to take slow and write neater. Do examiners really stress on Handwriting?
Original post by jessica dudley
I've just started taking private lessons in English Lang and literature and submitted a couple of my past papers. My teacher kept fussing over my handwriting and saying how terrible it is. She said that the exam board won't even try to mark it if they can't understand anything. She also commented that my lower case f's have to be below the line kind of like a p. And in not sure if this is an age gap thing but I have never been taught to write my f's like that. She's making me really paranoid for the exam as I will of a lack of time to take slow and write neater. Do examiners really stress on Handwriting?

My teachers have also told that you need to have good handwriting. It’s actually basic logic. An examiner, who is marking 1000s of papers in a room in summer while everyone is out having fun will not try to spend time reading your bad writing if they can’t even understand it. So try to make it readable, but you dont spend time thinking about your handwriting and don’t try to make it super neat. Time is crucial. I got a 6 in Paper 2 but a 3 in Paper 1 because I forgot about timing. If you know someone who is aGCSE examiner, go talk to them about this. (Let’s hope that an examiner sees this post 🤞🏻)
Reply 2

Can I see your handwriting because some teachers are dramatic but if it is really bad and unreadable then that’ll just move on

They have hundreds of questions to mark. If they can’t read it, they won’t credit it and they’ll just move on. If your handwriting is that bad won’t you be allowed to use a computer??

maybe try handwriting practice/handwriting pens? ik it sounds primary schoolish but it might help?
Reply 5
wait u have to put the f's below the line? I've never done that before.. I think it is an age gap thing because all of the fancy-old fashioned handwriting have the f's going below the line. But yeah, handwriting is really important. if they can't read a single thing, they give you a U automatically, or so I heard.
Reply 6
Hand writing doesn't have to be good good but as long as it's readable it's fine. "f" does not need to go below the line. If your handwriting is good, the examiner may enjoy your piece of work better and may unconsciously give you higher marks.
Original post by tkty
Hand writing doesn't have to be good good but as long as it's readable it's fine. "f" does not need to go below the line. If your handwriting is good, the examiner may enjoy your piece of work better and may unconsciously give you higher marks.

I agree an f shouldn’t need to go below the line as long as the top is curved so it doesn’t just look like a t

Quick Reply

Latest