The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

is Oxford Brookes a good UNI?

Hi!
Was just wondering if Oxford Brookes Uni was a good uni to get a Bsc from? (Rankings, would it look good on a resume, Employment, student life etc.)
Thanks!
It's not a bad uni
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Would it look good to prospective employers?
Original post by UNILOVER23
Would it look good to prospective employers?

As good as any comparable university, in terms of the fairly meaningless metrics of league rankings and "prestige".

I'd note that it offers a number of courses in the allied health professions, which in general university "brand" is not important for (and in fact are often uncommon courses anyway and only offered by a handful of universities across the country). Obviously for these, and some similar, courses, it's irrelevant.

I for some anecdotal evidence, a friend of mine did his masters (in politics) at Brookes, then taught at Exeter for several years before starting his PhD there (in the politics department, on both counts). As with most universities outside of Oxbridge and their ilk, what you get out of the degree will depend on what you put into it and what you do with it afterwards - emphasis on you. If you get the degree but don't very effectively leverage that to gain a position, that's not really the universities fault as the days of a degree being a guaranteed job are long gone.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
ok cool thanks :smile:
Hi there!

I just wanted to reassure you about some concerns you might have about doing a Bsc course, employment options during your degree and afterwards and student life at Brookes.

First of all, obviously it depends on the course you would like to study here, but a Bachelor of Science degree is always going to be very useful. We are currently ranked 50th on the Guardian League Table in general.

Secondly, you asked about employment, so most of our courses would offer work placement for up to a year in your third year of studying, making the standard course length of 3 years longer by one year. We have a lot of positive feedback from these activities and many students find that they get offered jobs from these placements if they have done exceptionally. Also, Oxford has a lot of opportunities whilst you study, with many shops looking for part-time workers around the area and after you finish your degree too.

Lastly, our student life at Oxford is great, with lots of entertainment options in town and activities at the university too. Here is a link to our Student Life page on the official Oxford Brookes website, so you can browse for yourself. Link: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/living/

I hope this answer helps, if you have any more specific questions please don't hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Panni
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending