The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

rache11a
My dad brought up the issue of getting my possessions such as laptop, phone etc insured, does anyone know if this is included within the weekly rent or do students have to organise this themselves?

Also this may sound completely strange, but does anyone know if we can bring our own curtains and change the ones that the accommodation service provides?

There is some insurance covered in your rent but you have to top it up, either with the university providers or with another provider (such as Endsleigh) if you want to have cover to take your laptop outside of your room (which I would assume you do).

You can decorate your room as you like so long as you do no lasting damage and remember to put everything back as you found it when you leave. Make sure that any furniture (and curtains) have fire labels attached or they'll be thrown out.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 181
The question is a bit offtopic, but what is the average age of UK students in first year ?
sharkytt
The question is a bit offtopic, but what is the average age of UK students in first year ?

I'd say most are 18-20, but there are quite a few over twenty too. And in Scotland it's not out of the ordinary to be 17 when starting uni.
Reply 183
Yes I was wondering that too, as I will be 19 when I start.
rache11a

There are plenty of 19 year olds. It appears to be the done thing to take a gap year (more than half my sixth form did and half of my first year flatmates had come from gap years) so there's nothing odd about being 19. In Scotland, as elizabethbridge has said the average age for starting is 17-19/20 whilst in the rest of the UK 17 year old starters are much rarer and so the average age is 18-20. Most courses will have a handful of mature students as well so coming from a gap year won't even leave you feeling old in lectures.
Reply 185
rache11a

I am also 19 :smile: here in Bulgaria we usually start at 7 and leave at 18-19(depends of the month you are born ) sometimes even 20.
Reply 186
nearlyheadlessian, thanks for the answer :smile:

i'll be 18 but i'll turn 19 in december so it actually counts as 19 i guess :smile:
but in poland we leave school when we are 18-19, also depending on your birthday date, i guess nobody would like to stay at high school until 20, unless he/she did not pass and had to repeat a year, or more :smile::smile:
Wow, I just realised I'll be 19 I start uni as it's my birthday in early September. How weird!
Reply 188
does chancellor court have more international students than other places?
mseth2
does chancellor court have more international students than other places?

The nationality mix is roughly the same across Pollock Halls.
Reply 190
damn, I'll be turning 20 in November. I feel so old.
Reply 191
You are :biggrin:
One year more and you would be able to drink beer in USA :smile:
Reply 192
hey are there any postgrad students around. my bro got into the MBA programme and we just cant decide upon which accomodation to apply for? any suggestion?
Reply 193
Hai,

I am planning on applying for University accommodation and If i do so and say i get allocated to my first choice, then will i be complied to take up University accommodation [Just in case if I have changed my mind and want to live in private accommodation]?
nash911
I am planning on applying for University accommodation and If i do so and say i get allocated to my first choice, then will i be complied to take up University accommodation [Just in case if I have changed my mind and want to live in private accommodation]?

You don't have to take up the accommodation that the university offers you if you have found somewhere else. After you receive your offer you have the opportunity to accept or reject your accommodation offer and it is at this point that you either decide to reject the accommodation (noting you will not receive another offer from accommodation services if you just don't like the one you have been offered) or accept it, during the process you will be told over and over that you are signing a contract with them, make the deposit payment and set up a direct debit (or put DD on hold until you arrive in the country depending on circumstances).
Reply 195
artorscience?,

Thank You.
Reply 196
Anyone here, economics and chinese???
Reply 197
does anyone know what the shower etc. facilities are like for the non ensuite rooms in pollock? im from the city on unlikely to get my first choice of chancellor's court and might just have to settle for Lee or Turner (although getting a place in halls is the main thing!)
Reply 198
sharkytt
You are :biggrin:
One year more and you would be able to drink beer in USA :smile:

Gee, thanks :biggrin:
So true, shame I won't be going to USA any time soon :frown:
Does the size of room you pick, e.g small/standard/large, have any effect on the number of people you live with?

I want to apply to Warrender and share with as many people as possible (I think that's 6).

Latest

Trending

Trending