The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University (NCL) Accommodation chat thread and FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soppyfish
Hi, my niece is in the same position. She has been allocated none of her choices and it’s making her doubt whether or not to accept Newcastle if she gets her grades. She has been offered Castle Leazes catered and no en-suite. How does she go about getting on a reserve list for en-suite accommodation?

Look at one of the private accommodations, like Verde. They might still be some rooms left.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by jaeleman
Verde, Liberty Plaza (although I think these two have just gone private), and The View are all about a 10 minute walk from campus and from town, and are next to a Tesco, which is great. I stayed in Verde last year and loved it there.

St James' Point is right next to these too but I think they only do studio apartments. There are some other private alternatives too.
Hi, I'm an international student and I've been offered an ensuite room at Turner Court. I'm looking for an ensuite or a studio room near the dental school, which includes Park view, Kensington terrace, Park terrace, Windsor Terrace and Castle Leazes. If anyone is willing to swap hmu as soon as possible!
Hi guys, I've just dropped out of uni and had booked a room in Verde which is now back on the website (Flat 47, room 4), I could really do with someone taking the room so I don't pay the rent and I can hopefully move on to another uni, I know it's likely to go pretty quickly but its a heads up if anyone's looking for ensuite accom in a good location (next to the business school and the school of computer science and is only approx 10 mins from uni)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 64
Is there a supermarket within walking distance of Park View accommodation? Not Tesco Express, Londis, Salisbury's local, Nisa or one of the many expensive small versions but a good discount supermarket such as Lidl, Aldi, Asda, full size Sainsbury's/Tesco or Morrisons etc?
I am pulling out of my accomodation (£73 PW, Short Walk from City Centre). Looking for someone to take my place. Bedroom is in a terrace house sharing with 3 Newcastle University students. Shared Living Room/Kitchen
Hi I have a room I no longer require due to changing my mind about university. I am looking for somebody to take over the tenancy and rent the room - The room is situated in the modern new St James Point building located 10 minutes walk away from Newcastle University and 10 minutes walk from the city centre. There is onsite parking. The room is on the 5th floor and consists of a double bed, wardrobe, drawers, desk and storage space. It has its own bathroom with shower. The building has 8 rooms to each floor and each floor has its own communal sitting room and kitchen with allocated food storage space for each room, a large fridge, freezer a washing machine and cooking facilities. There is in house cleaners provided. The building has good security measures with you only being able to access the building using the card key provided to you and is fully staffed 24 hours. The University will be responsible for changing the tenancy over to the person who takes the room on if I can find someone who wants or needs the room so your tenancy would be with Newcastle university the tenancy is for a 50 week stay and is £145 per week although price can be negotiable I was due to start my course in October so had already taken on the tenancy before deciding uni isn't for me so I have not used the room. Please let me know if interested or if you require any further details thanks :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
find plenty
Original post by Cas22
Is there a supermarket within walking distance of Park View accommodation? Not Tesco Express, Londis, Salisbury's local, Nisa or one of the many expensive small versions but a good discount supermarket such as Lidl, Aldi, Asda, full size Sainsbury's/Tesco or Morrisons etc?

Hi Cas22,

I'm afraid there isn't one within walking distance, but if you travel a little further out of the city centre you'll find plenty. There's a big Asda by Regent Centre Metro, or a Morrisons by Byker Metro.

You can view them on a map here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB762GB762&tbm=lcl&ei=kCWqW-iZIYzRgAaPy5CgBg&q=supermarket+map+newcastle&oq=supermarket+map+newcastle&gs_l=psy-ab.3...24858.25643.0.25965.8.8.0.0.0.0.123.704.5j3.8.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.7.579...0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.tz_qmZui2uI#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!3m8!1m3!1d19055.887661647!2d-1.613579399999935!3d54.98066625000002!3m2!1i1260!2i799!4f13.1

Hope this helps :smile:

Susie
Hello, I'm a postgrad international students in NUBS. I live in private accomodation but considering to move since it's pretty far from the campus. Is there any student accomodation near NUBS (with 10 mins walking distance) which the rent is not more than £100 a week?

And I still think about the pros and cons between living in private accommodation and student accommodation. If anyone wants to share the experience living in private/ student accommodation I'd be happy :smile:

I live in private accommodation with Indonesian family (since I'm Indonesian as well), but the house is pretty dirty and quite noisy since they have 2 boys. I don't know if live in student accommodation will be as noisy as live in private accomm? or maybe if you have any tips before renting a private accommodation pls let me know :wink:
Original post by Valery23
Hello, I'm a postgrad international students in NUBS. I live in private accomodation but considering to move since it's pretty far from the campus. Is there any student accomodation near NUBS (with 10 mins walking distance) which the rent is not more than £100 a week?

And I still think about the pros and cons between living in private accommodation and student accommodation. If anyone wants to share the experience living in private/ student accommodation I'd be happy :smile:

I live in private accommodation with Indonesian family (since I'm Indonesian as well), but the house is pretty dirty and quite noisy since they have 2 boys. I don't know if live in student accommodation will be as noisy as live in private accomm? or maybe if you have any tips before renting a private accommodation pls let me know :wink:

Hi I have a room I no longer require due to changing my mind about university. I am looking for somebody to take over the tenancy and rent the room - The room is situated in the modern new St James Point building located 10 minutes walk away from Newcastle University and 10 minutes walk from the city centre. There is onsite parking. The room is on the 5th floor and consists of a double bed, wardrobe, drawers, desk and storage space. It has its own bathroom with shower. The building has 8 rooms to each floor and each floor has its own communal sitting room and kitchen with allocated food storage space for each room, a large fridge, freezer a washing machine and cooking facilities. There is in house cleaners provided. The building has good security measures with you only being able to access the building using the card key provided to you and is fully staffed 24 hours. The University will be responsible for changing the tenancy over to the person who takes the room on if I can find someone who wants or needs the room so your tenancy would be with Newcastle university the tenancy is for a 50 week stay and is 145 per week could possibly negotiate on price i am willing to cover the cost of the first term for this room so anyone taking over the tenancy will get their first term free -I was due to start my course in October so had already taken on the tenancy before deciding uni isn't for me so I have not used the room. Please let me know if interested or if you require any further details thanks
[post="79968772"]Edit[/post]

More about Newcastle University

Check out our Official Rep

See when our open days are coming up

Page 1 of 1

Reply to thread

Insert an emoticon
Upload Image
Upload Attachment
Insert a link
Unlink
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Spoiler

View source

submit
Hi. I already have my A level results and have firmed my offer, so I am definitely coming to Newcastle in September. Will this increase my chances of getting into the accommodation I want?
Original post by Nautilus
Hi. I already have my A level results and have firmed my offer, so I am definitely coming to Newcastle in September. Will this increase my chances of getting into the accommodation I want?

Hello,

Have you looked at private accommodation as well as the university accommodation?

Student Roost Newcastle have 3 sites in Newcastle, two of these have first year students. They are both based in the city centre, very close to the Universities, shops and bars.
We also have some amazing communal areas - common room, gym, study room, cinema room, communal kitchen and onsite parking.

Have a look at our website https://www.studentroost.co.uk/locations/newcastle

I'd love to help you and give you more information on what we offer, please send us a message:smile:

Thanks
Tegan
Reply 72
Hey,

I'm looking into halls at Newcastle University but all the accommodation looking quite far away from the university on google maps especially for walking.

I will be in the business school next to St James but was recommended not to apply for the view accommodation because i might be on the main campus a lot.

I'm wanting to be close to being in the city centre and the university.
Castle leazers was a good option but it looks like I will have to walk through the park which I don't want to do if I'm walking alone at night
Hey,

I'm a current student doing CompSci in the Urban Sciences Building just behind the Business School.

The View / Verde / Liberty Plaza by the business school are still pretty close to main campus. It's a less than 15 min walk from them to main campus. Newcastle is quite a small city so it's not as far as it looks on Google Maps. For going to the business school it's a 20 metre walk from the View entrance.

Castle Leazes is getting a bit old now, especially compared to the fancy new buildings mentioned above. I'd only recommend it if you want catered or want to save a bit of money.

Original post by LA_98
Hey,

I'm looking into halls at Newcastle University but all the accommodation looking quite far away from the university on google maps especially for walking.

I will be in the business school next to St James but was recommended not to apply for the view accommodation because i might be on the main campus a lot.

I'm wanting to be close to being in the city centre and the university.
Castle leazers was a good option but it looks like I will have to walk through the park which I don't want to do if I'm walking alone at night
Now that you have all experienced halls, would you recommend going to uni-owned halls over private ones? Is it worth the price? I can't decide
Original post by Faz2154
Now that you have all experienced halls, would you recommend going to uni-owned halls over private ones? Is it worth the price? I can't decide

Not sure exactly what you mean. I think it was a good experience to live with new people for a year. There's still a range of uni-owned and managed partnership accommodation of different styles. Private is still an option if you want to do that, but people I spoke to who lived in studio flats said they felt quite isolated.
Hi I am looking at booking a studio with student 52 for postgrad students does anyone know if the company is any good? or if there are any close studio apartments to the uni that haven't been booked up already thanks!
Original post by Pinktable
Hi I am looking at booking a studio with student 52 for postgrad students does anyone know if the company is any good? or if there are any close studio apartments to the uni that haven't been booked up already thanks!

Hey Pinktable,

I've just accepted a last-minute postgrad offer at Newcastle and am scrambling to find some accommodation - did you manage to sort anything out? Would be grateful for any advice or leads on decent places to stay. Cheers.
Original post by DepressinglyOld
Hey Pinktable,

I've just accepted a last-minute postgrad offer at Newcastle and am scrambling to find some accommodation - did you manage to sort anything out? Would be grateful for any advice or leads on decent places to stay. Cheers.

Hi there,

I was a student at Newcastle Uni for my undergrad and took several classes in the med school building while living near the quayside. I planned to return for my MSc this autumn, but had to withdraw from my program this week as my mother unexpectedly becoming very ill.

As I was prepared to be moving back to NCL this semester, I have a 51-week lease on a furnished/bills-included student studio at The Shield, Fresh Student Living near the Quayside area that I am looking to transfer to another student at a discounted rate (2 months paid). Since I booked early, the studio also has some additional grocery/laundry vouchers (totaling about 412 GBP).

The studio is on the first floor up, furnished with a small double bed, ensuite shower room, wifi, kitchen (with full oven, microwave, sink, and small fridge/freezer and hob), and television set. All bills are included in rent and there is laundry and common areas onsite. Dual occupancy is also free in the rent. To see a 360 view of the common areas/reception and a sample studio here is the link: https://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/the-shield/gallery/ . Having lived in Newcastle, I know this property is new and well-liked, in a good area and with 24/7 security.

The contract is from 14/09/2019-05/09/2020 and is 142 GBP/week (total of 7242 GBP with a 100 GBP refundable deposit). I am offering to transfer the lease at a discounted rate, with 2 months of rent (1136 GBP) paid, making the total price 6106 GBP or about 120 GBP/week for the new tenant. Since I booked early as a first time tenant, the company will provide 13 weeks of 27 GBP grocery vouchers and 4.70 GBP laundry vouchers for the first term (total value of 412.1 GBP), that I am also offering to transfer.

As a USA international student, I am very eager to transfer my studio ASAP. If you or somebody you know might be interested, I'd be very grateful if you contacted me directly and I could provide any additional info you might need. Thank you.
Hi there
I am international student and got the fixed terms of tenancy for one entire year (17/09/2019-16/9/2020) unfortunately due to some sudden changes i won’t study in Newcastle and I really need someone to replace my accommodation place. I wonder can I have any other way to post my advertisement to other Newcastle student?

The house is just located next to china town and is right in the city center, so it is super convenient to go anywhere in Newcastle.

11 mins walk to Newcastle University / 8 mins walk to INTO Newcastle University / 5 mins walk to Newcastle Business school/ 14 mins walk to Northumbia university

The facilities included in this house are: 1 living room, 1 kitchen, 3 bedroom (1 en-suite, 1 share-bathroom), washing machine, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, oven.
All 3 bedrooms are doubles and fitted with flat-screen tv.

For the payment, as i have already paid for the deposit so you will just have to pay GBP 6012.86 (not include bills) directly to the landlord. And afterwards when the landlord return the deposit, you can have it all if you rent the room, it is treated as a special offer and my thankfulness.

please share this to your friends and people around as it is really urgent, thank you. please contact me soon and if you have any question please contact me. thx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending