The Student Room Group
There are books out there that discuss ethical dilemma's in engineering. They refer to philosophical theories and cases from the past. Maybe that could help you make up your mind.

I think that whether you are morally conflicted is up to you. No one can tell that for you, as it's a personal thing, maybe even a subjective kind of feeling in part. I guess, not sure.

There are definitely concerns/objections i would have if i'd work for a weapons manufacturer. No matter whether it's for the 'good guys' or the 'bad guys' It also depends on what work you are doing specifically for them.

But i'd feel like i would be contributing to people getting killed. Especially if you don't know where these guns end up. What if IS gets them indirectly? Maybe it could make a difference if i'd know that only police officers get them. I wouldn't like working for war and death. If it were guns used to protect mu country against an invading country it might be different. It's difficult. But in general i wouldn't do it.

What makes you ask this question? Did you start questioning yourself and your job?
(edited 5 years ago)
nope. you're simply making money for to feed you and you're family.
Original post by RickHendricks
nope. you're simply making money for to feed you and you're family.

Thats ignorant man. What if i provide for my family by murdering people in the streets and taking their cash? Is that okay?
Original post by SpongebobSwag
Thats ignorant man. What if i provide for my family by murdering people in the streets and taking their cash? Is that okay?

Original post by SpongebobSwag

I don't think that's comparable. OP isn't directly killing those. people. for all we know he could be making weapons for his own countrys defence
some people will be really strongly against working for a company like that but someone has to make the weapons- as sad as it is our world has got to a point where i don’t think people would be able to cope without guns
Original post by RickHendricks
I don't think that's comparable. OP isn't directly killing those. people. for all we know he could be making weapons for his own countrys defence

yeah okay i agree
Do whatever. Most of the Care Bears on here are complete hypocrites anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Should I be morally conflicted?

There's no should or shouldn't. It's a personal thing to you.

You took the job, you're in the job, you're presumably staying in the job. That suggests you're not conflicted, and that's fine.
You gotta do what you gotta do to survive
No, it’s a way of making a living. You are not personally involved in killing, so it’s fine.
Reply 11
Watch iron man 1 and come back and tell me if you should feel conflicted or not
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous #1
I work for a weapons company who sells arms to the UK military, US military, Saudi Arabia, Israel, amongst other regimes. I'm an engineer, what do you think about that? Should I be morally conflicted?

Hello. I was looking into conflict in the weapons industry and saw you post. It is from 5 years ago, so I wondered what decisions you had made?

Latest

Trending

Trending