The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
blondevalkyrie
awww lucky you! I hope I manage to get a placement. Did you have to pay for the Brownies CRB check as your a volunteer pipkinx?

my memorys rather poo so i cant really remember now whether i did or not sorry! i remember paying for one of the checks though and the other i didnt have too!
as someone else has already said i'm sure u'll get a place =] people are always happy with help so dont worry, have fun with it all! =D
Helenia
While we're talking about Brownies - can anyone think of some "space"-related activities we can do on Pack Holiday? I'm trying to organise the programme!

You could do a design your own planet activity, and get them to create their own mini planet.
Reply 22
Helenia
Yes - it's a ridiculous system; they're not even valid between the Scout Association and Girlguiding UK. I currently have 3 valid CRBs - one from Girlguiding, one from being at clinical school and one from my membership of the university Scout and Guide Club. I really don't understand why they can't share!

Anyway - I'm a Brownie leader, and I'm just finishing my leadership qualification (despite the fact I've been helping with Brownies for 8 years now - but that's another story!) I love working with them and it's been really beneficial for my confidence, organisation and leadership skills too. You absolutely don't have to have been involved in any of them before - though a lot of people have, it's far from essential. I was never actually a Brownie, though I was a Guide and a Ranger, so quite involved before I became a Young Leader.

Anyway, if your hunt for local contacts doesn't work, try this page on the Girlguiding UK website, which should be helpful.

The reason CRB checks aren't "transferable" as they call it, is because the organisation applying for the check can receive some information that is not shown on the certificate (commonly referred to as a brown envelope) so if an organisation accepts your certificate that have no way of knowing if there was any additional information.

Edit Sorry its portable not transferable. If you go to their site at crb.gov.uk it explains it all.
Reply 23
mollymustard
Hello!

You don't have to pay for your CRB the guide assoc uses the childrens fees each year to pay for things like that.

CRB's are free for volunteers.
Reply 24
mollymustard
You could do a design your own planet activity, and get them to create their own mini planet.

oooh, that's cool. We could even make them with balloons and papier maché if we're feeling ultra-keen!
Reply 25
I am an ex Young Leader. I agree with all of the above that it's very easy to get into, and a very fun way of spending your time. I'm currently looking to get back into it (quit last time because I moved away), going to contact some local packs and see if they need a young leader.
Reply 26
Do we have a Girlguiding UK soc on here yet? If not, we should start one - good place to share activity ideas and support each other with things like qualifications, Queen's Guide etc.
Guiding soc sounds like a good plan!

I'm trying to get back into it for next year as for 3rd and 4th year I should be in the same house, so I'd be able to help fairly easily for the next 2 years (and finish my leadership qualification-ness!) without having to trek all the way across Aberdeen to get to my pack. I was a cub leader last year (my friends at uni were involved with a cub pack that was going to close if it didn't get another leader immediately) but after 3 months I decided that the 2 bus trips and half hour walk needed to get there for an hour a week was a bit much :frown:

I've now got 2 CRB checks, and 2 Disclosure Scotland certificates, and I don't remember paying for any of them, if that helps (though I think lots of people have already said the same thing, sorry)

Anyway, after that essay, I think a soc sounds like a good idea :smile:
Reply 28
Helenia
While we're talking about Brownies - can anyone think of some "space"-related activities we can do on Pack Holiday? I'm trying to organise the programme!

One thing I remember from our space themed Pack Holiday was making rockets using an old loo roll tube and mod rock, then painting them. Was good fun :smile:
Helenia - there is a guide Go-For-It called "Space", I know its obviously older than Brownie age, but there are probably activities in there which you could adapt/simplify for Brownies if you can get hold of a copy from a Guide Guider somewhere.
Also, don't know if I am allowed to link to other forums on here or not....mods can remove this post if they want to....

but there is a brilliant forum which is set up for guiders if anyone is looking for any help/advice/ideas etc with their units. there are a lot of guiders on there so there is loads of ideas floating around! it is www.guiders.co.uk if anyone wants to have a look.
Reply 31
kookabura
Helenia - there is a guide Go-For-It called "Space", I know its obviously older than Brownie age, but there are probably activities in there which you could adapt/simplify for Brownies if you can get hold of a copy from a Guide Guider somewhere.

Cool, I'll have a look for that!
Reply 32
I'm a volunteer at rainbows and would thoroughly recommend it. Been a young leader with the unit for about 15 months and am just starting my adult leadership qualification. It's going to be a challenge, but worth it! Working with the girls is amazing and very rewarding seeing them enjoying themselves.

Good luck x
awww rainbows!! Well I rang up the local Commissioner today (thanks Helenia) and she said she'll pass on my details to packs in my local area so fingers crossed!
Hello I thought i'd update you all on my progress (because im not sure if there is a brownies society yet) i'm meeting a lady tomorrow to discuss joining a pack woo! So excited!
Reply 35
Go you! I've been a young leader for Brownies since september, I kinda got into it randomly and I didnt realise how much fun it is :smile:
The brownies make me feel so old though seeing as I volunteer at the same centre where I used to go 10 years ago!
Reply 36
blondevalkyrie
Hello I thought i'd update you all on my progress (because im not sure if there is a brownies society yet) i'm meeting a lady tomorrow to discuss joining a pack woo! So excited!

Excellent. Let me know how it goes (and which pack you join in the end, I'm curious about how things are going back there!)

I've got my Leadership book signed off tonight, so I just have to send it off to County HQ and I'm officially qualified! Woo!
thats great congratulations helenia!
Aww this thread reminds me of how much I miss being a young leader. Anyone who wants to do it I would highly recommend it!
You must be all fed up of my updates (so i'll try and make this my last one for a while). I'm going to be a brownie leader! My first pack meeting will be sometime after easter! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending