Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle Partners Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi @RR12345667,

For our Medicine and Surgery MB BS (A100) programme no specific subjects are required at A Level. Although, General Studies; Use of Mathematics; World Development; Communication and Culture; and Critical Thinking are not accepted.

The entry requirements for PARTNERS applicants are BBB at A Level for 2024 entry. As my colleague has advised, if an applicant is resitting a subject the grade requirement will increase by a grade. As such, if a PARTNERS applicant was resitting one subject the requirements would be ABB, two subjects AAB and three subjects AAA.

Once the academic criteria have been met, academic achievement is not considered further in subsequent parts of the application process: e.g. A* results or additional A level or GCSEs are not considered.

Hana :smile:

Sure thank, you so if you decide to resit for fun, b ut already have achieved the grades, would the requirements still go up.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by dss1
Sure thank, you so if you decide to resit for fun, b ut already have achieved the grades, would the requirements still go up.

Hi @dss1,

Thanks for your question.

If an applicant has already achieved the PARTNERS grades and decides to resit for other reasons, the resit policy would be waived.

Thank you very much
Hi @RR12345667,

For our Medicine and Surgery MB BS (A100) programme no specific subjects are required at A Level. Although, General Studies; Use of Mathematics; World Development; Communication and Culture; and Critical Thinking are not accepted.

The entry requirements for PARTNERS applicants are BBB at A Level for 2024 entry. As my colleague has advised, if an applicant is resitting a subject the grade requirement will increase by a grade. As such, if a PARTNERS applicant was resitting one subject the requirements would be ABB, two subjects AAB and three subjects AAA.

Once the academic criteria have been met, academic achievement is not considered further in subsequent parts of the application process: e.g. A* results or additional A level or GCSEs are not considered.

Hi, for medicine would our predicted grades need to match the normal entry requirement of AAA or can w apply with AAB if we join the partners programme. And does this apply for resit candidate's predicted grades too?
Original post by afuturemed
Hi, for medicine would our predicted grades need to match the normal entry requirement of AAA or can w apply with AAB if we join the partners programme. And does this apply for resit candidate's predicted grades too?

Hi @afuturemed

To be eligible for our PARTNERS programme, applicants must have predicted grades which are no more than than one grade lower than the PARTNERS offer for any particular Undergraduate programme. Therefore, for our Medicine and Surgery MB BS programme, we will consider PARTNERS applicants with grades of BBC or above. As such, with grades of AAB, your application would be considered if you are eligible and apply for PARTNERS.

As regards to resits for our Medicine and Surgery programme, we recognise that circumstances mean that, occasionally, students underperform. As a result, we allow a subject to be repeated once. Applicants are not required to inform us of the circumstances around their resits. However, if a subject is being undertaken for a second time after further study, the expectation is of a higher level of performance. Therefore, the grade requirement from the University will also increase by a grade, e.g. A to A*, from the standard entry requirements. For further information, please read the Resit Qualifications section of the School of Medicine Admissions Policy.

Based on resitting one A Level, the entry requirements for an applicant eligible for a PARTNERS offer would be ABB in any subjects.

Our PARTNERS programme aims to support applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to have a successful and enjoyable journey through the application process. Eligible applicants to the PARTNERS programme will receive a conditional offer of three grades lower than the typical entry requirements. This offer is conditional on applicants placing Newcastle University as their firm choice and successfully completing the PARTNERS Academic Summer School. To check whether you are eligible for the PARTNERS programme, please follow this link. For more information on how to apply, please visit this website.

There are no GCSE requirements for this programme. Once the academic criteria have been met, academic achievement is not considered further in subsequent parts of the application process.

All applicants must have taken the University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) in the same year they apply through UCAS. The UCAT threshold may differ in each year as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those applicants who have applied in the current application cycle. Details of the UCAT threshold for previous years are available and further information can be found in the MB BS Admissions Policy 2023.

Candidates who meet or are predicted to meet our academic requirements and minimum UCAT threshold will be invited to interview. Some evidence of voluntary work experience in a healthcare or social care setting would be expected from applicants who do not have prior experience as a healthcare professional.

Applications to the University's undergraduate degree programmes must be submitted through the UCAS system, and you can apply online here. If you have any queries about the UCAS Apply system, please contact UCAS on 0371 468 0468.

The next possible start date is September 2024 and the application deadline is 18:00 on Monday 16 October 2023.

Hope this helps :smile:

Elliott
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 25
Hi @RR12345667,

I want to apply for the partners programme as a year 12 student as I am eligible for it and I want to apply for dentistry. I’m trying to catch up with work, but I’m thinking about retaking year 12 would that affect getting into the partners programme.
Original post by Fgbhhhuuu
I want to apply for the partners programme as a year 12 student as I am eligible for it and I want to apply for dentistry. I’m trying to catch up with work, but I’m thinking about retaking year 12 would that affect getting into the partners programme.

Hi @Fgbhhhuuu

For our Dental Surgery BDS programme, applications will not be considered where A Levels have been taken in more than one sitting, for example across 3 years instead of 2, unless in extenuating circumstances.

For applicants who do not meet the subject entry requirements, i.e. taking Biology and Chemistry, they can take these A Levels in a separate sitting to the rest of their A Levels, but the Dental School needs to be advised of this by the applicant.

Additionally, you would apply to our PARTNERS programme in the year that you applied through UCAS. This would usually be y13.
For further advice, please get in touch with us directly.

I hope this helps 😊
Lydia
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending