The Student Room Group

Advice for starting a mechanical Engineering degree

Hi!
I'm a mature student starting a degree in mechanical engineering this September. I'm looking for some advice on what I can do over the summer to be as prepared as I can for it.
For example, is there any useful software I should become familiar with, books or websites that will give me a head start, or anything I can do make life at uni easier? I have been out of education for a few years and so any help would be great! thanks!
Original post by Sarah Toombs
Hi!
I'm a mature student starting a degree in mechanical engineering this September. I'm looking for some advice on what I can do over the summer to be as prepared as I can for it.
For example, is there any useful software I should become familiar with, books or websites that will give me a head start, or anything I can do make life at uni easier? I have been out of education for a few years and so any help would be great! thanks!

I'd suggest downloading some A level maths papers to practise before you start. Software used does vary and is probably too expensive to buy. Have you asked the uni how you can best prepare?
What’s your background? Brush up on maths. Get back in a studying mindset. No need for any software at this stage. Unless the uni has a book list it’s probably best holding on to your cash for now. Good luck!
bump

Quick Reply

Latest