The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because it would be seen as vain, pretentious and narcissitic. I would agree with all these judgements. The day men wear makeup will be a very sad reflection on humanity indeed...

Then again I don't think girls should wear makeup either, so i'm probably a mad heretic.
Because this society sucks. In the Roman period, men wore makeup. Renaissance period, men wore makeup. Victorian period, men wore makeup.

It's because we're even more uptight about the typical 'male role' than we were hundreds/thousands of years ago.

I like a guy who paints his nails, wears eyeliner (as long as it's applied well) I don't see anything remotely 'homosexual' about it. It's a personal style and I'll be damned if men can't express themselves the way women do. Women complain about equal rights, well, men have rights too!! haha.
Reply 3
Perhaps it has something to do with the old idea of the man being the provider, someone who can be depended upon to actively look after his family. If a guy's wearing makeup he may be perceived by some people to have been wasting time in life; not being useful but, as Veil of Maya put it, being narcissitic and vain- hardly productive. I'm not saying I agree, btw...just speculating.
Reply 4
I don't think it is nowadays. I see loads of guys with skinny jeans, foppish hair etc. round here who wear nail polish and eyeliner and they don't even get a second glance.
Because it rarely looks good.
Because we have got into the way of thinking that make up is used to femininse- eye liner to make eyes look bigger, lipstick/liner to make lips look fuller etc.
As it seen as a way of feminishing a look its not considered a particually masculine thing to do.
Having said that some guys in make up, yummy. Others yuck.
Reply 7
Adrian1707
Just a thought. Why are men regarded as 'gay' if they wear makeup. Why should we be the ones who walk around with pale pasty skin why girls transform their faces into works of art?

women like guys who don't really give a **** about what they look like? I hate it when a guy spends ages styling his hair with gel or wax, that just looks like he put in too much effort which is a turn off for me, for example.
Reply 8
men shouldn't wear mkaeup. neither should women.
Reply 9
I think it's all traditional viewpoints etc.

My brother has recently started wearing eyeliner. My Mum told me, expecting me to have an ':eek:' reaction, and I just said 'Cool, I bet it really suits him, I can't wait to see it!', and it did really suit him, but my Mum was amazed that I wasn't all 'OMG my little brother wears makeup?!'

She then felt the need to tell my whole family. My Auntie is strictly religious (the creepy cult zombie kind), and when she got told on the phone that my brother had started wearing eyeliner, her reaction was 'I can't ever talk to him again, don't ever bring him to my house. My religion is very against gay people.' :rolleyes:
Adarah
women like guys who don't really give a **** about what they look like.

Do they? If my b.f didn't make and effort i would be upset.... Obviously no make up or even hair gel because that isn't his personality but guys making an effort in there own little way is really cute!

Make up on guys... Well i think it is becoming more and more acceptable but i don’t think it should be really, i don’t ware make up most of my friends don’t ware make up and there all beautiful. The idea that guys now want to find more and more ways to be considered attractive is quite upsetting really.
men arent vaihey dont really care what they look like, there isnt as much pressure from other men on men to look fantastic. Whereas women put pressure on other women to look good. ie. size zero models - men dont think it looks good, we dont put pressure on women to look like that, WOMEN do
Reply 12
Cheer Up Charlie
Do they? If my b.f didn't make and effort i would be upset.... Obviously no make up or even hair gel because that isn't his personality but guys making an effort in there own little way is really cute!

Make up on guys... Well i think it is becoming more and more acceptable but i don’t think it should be really, i don’t ware make up most of my friends don’t ware make up and there all beautiful. The idea that guys now want to find more and more ways to be considered attractive is quite upsetting really.

everyone has different tastes, so of course i was generalising. Personally i really, really couldn't care less about my boyfriends appearance in that respect. lots of my friends feel the same way, but i know not all of them do. some think that Justin Timberlake is hot - his style and the effort he puts into it is enough to make me vomit.
Reply 13
eulerwaswrong
men arent vaihey dont really care what they look like, there isnt as much pressure from other men on men to look fantastic. Whereas women put pressure on other women to look good. ie. size zero models - men dont think it looks good, we dont put pressure on women to look like that, WOMEN do

People have crazy ideas about size 0. It's only really a problem in the fashion industry, where the smaller you are, the better the clothes look - only models ever want to be size 0, and that's just so they can get work.

Normal women often want to be thin, but normal thin (maybe size 8-12), and that is partially influenced by men; most of whom say they would be turned off if a girl was more than that.
Reply 14
Yeh, i'm with the "cos it's gay" crowd.

Speaking from my point of view, guys who wear make up are quite unattractive. Just makes you wonder what they're hiding for a start, and it just doesn't look right.

A bit of eye-liner to look goth is fine though.
Reply 15
Similar to why its socially unacceptable for women to have lots of facial hair
Its not something society deems attractive, in both cases.
Reply 16
Because making yourself look attractive isn't a masculine thing. Plus, lots of makeup is feminine (e.g. lipstick)
i disagree i think people find it socially unacceptable because they're scared of change and things they don't know. they're afraid if they accept it that they'll be mocked too. but i believe if a guy wants to wear makeup, by all means do (make sure you wear summat that suits you though!). Be yourself coz its the only way you can be happy :biggrin:!
I don't think it's socially unacceptable. Or maybe I'm just weird. Look at russell brand...he loves his eyeliner. And I see loads of guys in public who have (to some degree) make-up. I don't think it's that shocking. I'm just not attracted to them, is all.
lol.... hmmmm true...... i think some guys do look cute with eyeliner. i love russell brand! hehe.
i just find it funny though because my cousin asked me for concealer for his spot and swore me 2 secrecy! so i think to some degrees many guys would want to wear makeup but feel they'd be prejudiced against.... if you get that???

Latest