The Student Room Group

Teachers, Trainees and NQT chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi :smile:
I'm Rachel, I'm doing Secondary History at Bath Spa. Due to start on 03/09 but haven't had much info so far. I'm hoping to find out my timetable and school this week. I finish work on Thursday and it's all starting to feel very real!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Sorry- I pretty much tagged everyone who had posted recently in the other thread without reading posts, as it was a little bit of a chore.

Good to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel! What do you teach?

I'm crazy nervous but it's only 5 weeks of placement starting in a month until I've finished everything I need to. I've already decided I don't want to go into teaching afterwards though-I want to experience a life outside of education
Original post by Kanae
Hi :smile:
I'm Rachel, I'm doing Secondary History at Bath Spa. Due to start on 03/09 but haven't had much info so far. I'm hoping to find out my timetable and school this week. I finish work on Thursday and it's all starting to feel very real!

It definitely feels real now, doesn't it!

I haven't had that much information yet- just a reading list and some summer work to do!
Original post by super_kawaii
I'm crazy nervous but it's only 5 weeks of placement starting in a month until I've finished everything I need to. I've already decided I don't want to go into teaching afterwards though-I want to experience a life outside of education

I think it's still a good plan to finish? Did you do your PGCE straight out of uni?
Reply 24
It definitely feels real now, doesn't it!

I haven't had that much information yet- just a reading list and some summer work to do!

Same and I've done the work and bought a tonne of books! Roll on September please
Original post by Kanae
Same and I've done the work and bought a tonne of books! Roll on September please

I've done the biology and the chemistry- just the physics to go- which I will admit I am putting off a little bit!

Definitely ready for September now though!
Yeah, I know someone who got burned by this pretty badly as an undergrad (complaining about a lecturer on a closed group), so I am always wary about what I attach to my own name. I do think fb groups can still be great though- especially for sharing resources and photos- but I like having the option to be a bit more anonymous as well!

It's great that you are able to return now- how are you feeling about it? Good luck!

This all sounds great- it's good that your colleagues seem nice! Is ESOL English as a second language? I can imagine that would be quite challenging to teach!

Sorry- I pretty much tagged everyone who had posted recently in the other thread without reading posts, as it was a little bit of a chore.

I teach Biology. :smile:
Original post by tom_tom_tom

Awesome, that's my PGCE subject :h:
Yeah, I know someone who got burned by this pretty badly as an undergrad (complaining about a lecturer on a closed group), so I am always wary about what I attach to my own name. I do think fb groups can still be great though- especially for sharing resources and photos- but I like having the option to be a bit more anonymous as well!

It's great that you are able to return now- how are you feeling about it? Good luck!

This all sounds great- it's good that your colleagues seem nice! Is ESOL English as a second language? I can imagine that would be quite challenging to teach!

Original post by Firefly13
I've just completed my PGCE in Secondary Biology at Brighton and have a job in one of the schools I trained at. I'm currently stressing about how you're supposed to decorate a classroom and what things I actually need, but otherwise looking forward to it :s-smilie:

Not exactly a trainee teacher anymore - but happy to answer any questions :biggrin:

Don’t stress about all that. That’s something that will come with time. I left all of the decorations up in my room from the previous teacher and gradually changed it. Some of the stuff I haven’t changed for 2 years now, no one comments on it. I have year 7 stuff on the walls and the students are now going into year 10.
Awesome, that's my PGCE subject :h:

Sorry about the double quote :colonhash:

Ah awesome. Any questions fire them my way as said I’m a training mentor so should be able to give some ideas for stuff. :smile:
Original post by tom_tom_tom
Sorry about the double quote :colonhash:

Ah awesome. Any questions fire them my way as said I’m a training mentor so should be able to give some ideas for stuff. :smile:

No worries :smile:

@Firefly13 Sorry, I missed your post! Congrats on your job. I'm sure once it's there, everything will all fall into place!

BTW, if anyone does want to make an NQT or current teachers chat thread, I'd be happy to sticky this too.
I've done the biology and the chemistry- just the physics to go- which I will admit I am putting off a little bit!

What do you guys actually prepare before the PGCE year starts?
The resources you'll be using? Or like revising the content to teach?

(Will be applying for PGCE Chemistry this year :tongue:)
Reply 32

I'm so glad I'm sticking to History; that just sounds scary. I had to write an essay again love essays.

Yes! Just need some more info
Original post by Bloom77
What do you guys actually prepare before the PGCE year starts?
The resources you'll be using? Or like revising the content to teach?

(Will be applying for PGCE Chemistry this year :tongue:)

My uni sent me a reading list, and some work to prep for our first tutorial, so I've been doing that.

I also did a SKE course, which I've completed, but was good prep in terms of revising my subject knowledge. If I hadn't done that, I definitely think revising some subject knowledge would have been a good idea.

I don't think making resources is worthwhile at this stage-as you don't know what your placement schools will already have.

I'm also trying to sort all of my life admin out ahead of the year, so for example I have just MOT'd my car, so I don't have to do it at the start of term.
My uni sent me a reading list, and some work to prep for our first tutorial, so I've been doing that.

I also did a SKE course, which I've completed, but was good prep in terms of revising my subject knowledge. If I hadn't done that, I definitely think revising some subject knowledge would have been a good idea.

I don't think making resources is worthwhile at this stage-as you don't know what your placement schools will already have.

I'm also trying to sort all of my life admin out ahead of the year, so for example I have just MOT'd my car, so I don't have to do it at the start of term.

Ooh okay, that makes sense

Good luck!
I'll be following this chat :biggrin:
Original post by Kanae
I'm so glad I'm sticking to History; that just sounds scary. I had to write an essay again love essays.

Yes! Just need some more info

It's not too bad actually- I got asked some physics questions at interview and they liked my answers so!

I'm excited about writing essays again too, but I haven't had to do one yet. I'm also enjoying drawing diagrams and colouring them in :colondollar:
Reply 36
It's not too bad actually- I got asked some physics questions at interview and they liked my answers so!

I'm excited about writing essays again too, but I haven't had to do one yet. I'm also enjoying drawing diagrams and colouring them in :colondollar:

Well that's got to be a big boost then!

I've done a Diddy one for the PRE-PGCE task only 300 words but on a subject I'm not that interested in.
Oo who doesn't love colouring in!
Original post by Kanae
Well that's got to be a big boost then!

I've done a Diddy one for the PRE-PGCE task only 300 words but on a subject I'm not that interested in.
Oo who doesn't love colouring in!

At the moment, I'm being very overachiever about my prep work, but I imagine that will change when I have lots of actual work to do!
I think it's still a good plan to finish? Did you do your PGCE straight out of uni?

I took a gap year but worked in a school for the year.

Was probably a dumb idea me doing teacher training considering how much I hated school myself, but oh well, here we are
Original post by super_kawaii
I took a gap year but worked in a school for the year.

Was probably a dumb idea me doing teacher training considering how much I hated school myself, but oh well, here we are

I don't think it's a dumb idea if you got something out of it. I'm sure it's given you skills you can use moving forwards :smile:

Do you know what you want to do afterwards?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending