The Student Room Group

Going to Uni with just AS Levels? Can I do this?

I finished my AS Levels last year, but then took a year out to work (long story) but with the intention of going back to do my A2's.

Anyway i was looking through a Uni because i was bored booklet and came across a Course I'd love to do. & it was asking for 100 points! I already have over than (BCC)

However, would a course offering such low entry offer good career prospects? I know I'd be in a class with people who got E's & D's but if I worked really hard and did well in the exams would that make up for it?

But also what's the point in wasting a year doing A2's if i don't need to?

But will it look bad just to have gone to Uni on my AS levels.

Also is it too late to apply? I really have no idea what I'm doing lol.

Btw the course is in Leisure and Sports Management. thanks.

Scroll to see replies

email the admissions tutor and ask
Reply 2
elderberry_fairies
email the admissions tutor and ask

Ok when i said i have very little knowledge of anything university I meant it :p: (i.e i don't know what that is or their email address)

& I'm asking you TSR people if i should :smile:
well in the prospectus there should be a section with contact info and then you should email them as soon as possible though
Reply 4
Oooh right. i also want to know if people think it's a good / bad idea and why

which uni as it?
why would it be a bad idea? if you want to do the course then go for it i mean whats the wordst htat could happen? they say no? then you go off and get the qualifications required there are many ways to do it these days eg you could do a 1 year course called access it gives you enough credits for entrance to uni many unis recognise that qualification now you should speak to the personal tutor for advice thats wat they are there for (remember they want as many people as possible to get funding:P so they want YOU)
good luck!
Reply 7
gloucestershire uni
Reply 8
elderberry_fairies
why would it be a bad idea? if you want to do the course then go for it i mean whats the wordst htat could happen? they say no? then you go off and get the qualifications required there are many ways to do it these days eg you could do a 1 year course called access it gives you enough credits for entrance to uni many unis recognise that qualification now you should speak to the personal tutor for advice thats wat they are there for (remember they want as many people as possible to get funding:P so they want YOU)
good luck!

i suppose when you put it like that, im just concerned a course offering such low entry requirements wouldn't offer great career prospects. Because another course i was thinking of doing was 220 points. hmm.

But then I suppose employers wouldn't ask "What was the Entry Requirement into this Uni?!!!" :smile:
Reply 9

Most unis say they would like a certain amount of A Levels. Also, wouldn't you be technically underqualified if you only did AS Levels to get into uni?
lolilady---O
i suppose when you put it like that, im just concerned a course offering such low entry requirements wouldn't offer great career prospects. Because another course i was thinking of doing was 220 points. hmm.

But then I suppose employers wouldn't ask "What was the Entry Requirement into this Uni?!!!" :smile:

You are right to be concerned. Future employers won't be looking at the entry requirements, but you simply have to query the value of a course that is deemed by its institution as being capable of being followed by people who can't even get an A level. Is it worth all the usual student debts to acquire this qualification if it may not help you later? The institution is also right at the bottom of the reputation pile.
Reply 11
Titch89
Most unis say they would like a certain amount of A Levels. Also, wouldn't you be technically underqualified if you only did AS Levels to get into uni?

I thought it was all about UCAS points :confused: . Also the AS levels i did are nothing to do with the Course really. (I did Law, Psychology & Eng lit).
It's not as if I'm doing History and have missed out on a year of A Level History.

The only thing is when you are in your job interview after uni they will say why did yu go to this uni and not one with a higher reputation - you obviously dont want to have to say because it had low enough entry requirements that I didnt have to go back to college.
I wouldnt think you would have a problem geting in the uni tho
Good bloke
You are right to be concerned. Future employers won't be looking at the entry requirements, but you simply have to query the value of a course that is deemed by its institution as being capable of being followed by people who can't even get an A level.

A Level isn't the bee-all and end-all.
thepinkpowerranger

yea lmao
thepinkpowerranger

A waspish comment, if ever there was one!:biggrin:
Reply 16
sarah123454321
The only thing is when you are in your job interview after uni they will say why did yu go to this uni and not one with a higher reputation - you obviously dont want to have to say because it had low enough entry requirements that I didnt have to go back to college.
I wouldnt think you would have a problem geting in the uni tho

i know, but this Uni does offer lots of 220+ degrees. & that's not the reason i wanted to do it, i was looking it up with the idea in mind I'd finish my Alevels' But it was after i saw the entry requirements I thought I could do it this year. But how would employers know it was a very low entry course?

Yes because uni's like gloucestershire have to have low entry requirements to get students because they have got a bad reputation.
lolilady---O
I finished my AS Levels last year, but then took a year out to work (long story) but with the intention of going back to do my A2's.

Anyway i was looking through a Uni because i was bored booklet and came across a Course I'd love to do. & it was asking for 100 points! I already have over than (BCC)

However, would a course offering such low entry offer good career prospects? I know I'd be in a class with people who got E's & D's but if I worked really hard and did well in the exams would that make up for it?

But also what's the point in wasting a year doing A2's if i don't need to?

But will it look bad just to have gone to Uni on my AS levels.

Also is it too late to apply? I really have no idea what I'm doing lol.

Btw the course is in Leisure and Sports Management. thanks.

it sounds like this is the first course you saw!... have u looked at similar courses or been to visit the uni? you might want to get some work experience to check that you want to study this (unfamiliar) subject for 3years! - you can do this after you've applied though. also, you need to write a personal statement saying why you want to do the course, and ask your previous school/college for a reference which they might not be able to write at this stage. seeing as you have missed the 15th january deadline by a large margin, i suggest you do some thorough research into the course and glouctershire uni and then ring up their admissions tutor (get the number from their website) to see if there are places available/if they'll consider your AS-only application.

i suggest you apply quickly if they'll let you, then visit the uni and others and then decide if you'd accept an offer if it was made to you [you can decline an offer anytime up to mid-august so it's better to get an offer and then decide rather than leave it too late]. seeing as your AS grades were good, you might want to look at other, more respected unis - because, as others have said, employers will look at the league tables when they get CVs in, and you don't want to waste 3years and lots of money at a uni that you hate!
Reply 19
sarah123454321
Yes because uni's like gloucestershire have to have low entry requirements to get students because they have got a bad reputation.

Do they:confused: most courses at glos uni aren't offering 100 point, they're 220 + . If i just worked really hard and came out with very good marks at the end wouldn't that make up for any of that?

Latest

Trending

Trending