The Student Room Group

Clueless about Spanish revision

I don't have a clue how to revise for Spanish. I'm on Edexcel and I've checked the website. I have about 5 different revision books and none of them have enough detail. My spanish is terrible to be honest.

My coursework is at a B, in the mock I got a C. I'm in foundation for speaking and higher for everything else. I really want a B but I don't think I'll be able to get it. I'm really worried about the orals as my teacher hasn't explained the format anc I just generally don't know what to do, say or even what the questions mean. I want to beat my prediction (C).

I'm so confused.
Spanish is going to be my lowest grade by far in the exams.
Can anyone help me with grammar tips and oral tips and how to improve my grade, basically anything GCSE spanish related?
(typing in a rush so sorry if this post makes no sense)
Thanks
Reply 1
I did Spanish GCSE and came out with an A* so maybe I can give you some tips.

Orals - firstly, ask to speak to your teacher one-on-one and tell her you don't know the format. Get her to go through what you'll be expected to do and make sure you understand. You should also start speaking to friends of yours who do Spanish too in the language and try and translate TV programmes or adverts when you're bored.

Listening - watch Spanish films (I can recommend basically everything Pedro Almodovar has directed, in particular 'Hable Con Ella') and try having English subtitles on first then watch again when you're a bit more comfortable with the language and don't have any subtitles in English (you could put some Spanish subtitles on if you find reading easier but the point is to improve your listening). Also, use the BBC Mundo website to find news reports in Spanish to listen to. Words you don't understand you could look up and make a note of in your vocab book.

Reading - print off tons of articles from the internet in Spanish and read through once to try and get the gist of what it's about then go through highlighting words you're not sure of and look them up in the dictionary. You could make a list of new words you've found and stick it on your wall then practice covering up the definitions and seeing if you remember them.

Writing - practice papers, practice papers, practice papers! Just go through as many past papers as you can find and practice the writing bit and try and do it in your own time first, structuring your response and then eventually time yourself.

When you feel more confident with your vocab, grammar etc. then move onto practice papers and get your teacher to mark them. Good luck!
Download the specification and start learning the vocabulary list.
Reply 3
Thanks so much! I'll use all the tips! :smile:
Reply 4
I did Spanish at GCSE, for the speaking we were able to tape ourselves doing our speech. This really helped in allowing me to remember it :smile: With regards to reading, listening and writing I just did a lot of past papers which can be found on the exam board websites.
Reply 5
I am doing Spanish this year, and i absolutely love it.

We're using AQA exam board, but im sure the skills are the same.

For speaking parts, you could record yourself on mp3 format, and then play it in your ipod/mp3 player/computer so you learn it over and over. Or you could ask your teacher to speak your speech and then record her. This way you could learn all the correct pronunciations. If you enjoy listening to music, then this is a great way of remembering your scripts and oral work.

Alternatively, you could laminate your scripts and then just read it and speak it everywhere. I know this sounds daft, but i had mine laminated, and i learnt mine in the bath! Cause its somewhere quiet and relaxing! Daft i know, but i did ok in my Module 1, i got an A*, and full marks too! So im doing the same thing for my Module 4 for this summers exams, and it really works. :smile:

For reading and listening, you need to get your hands on past papers, cause ultimately, the'yre the best way to get to grips with exam technique and the types of language used. When you do your listening paper, always note down key words when the tape is playing, before scribbling in an answer, because often the examiners like to try and trick candidates. :s

For writing, practise your verb formats and tenses. And in the exam make sure you include as many different tenses as possible. This gets better marks!

Good luck - if you work hard, you will be rewarded!!

xx

Latest