The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You are looking into it too much. I doubt that is a significant difference. If it was about 10% then there would be issues, but until then I don't think there is any worry.

If there were 10% more girls at LSE/Warwick, I wouldnt be complaining.
Reply 61
Haha, there's 80 boys in my year at college compared to 34 girls.

Now THAT'S a big discrepancy.

I have absolutely no idea why that is though - some subjects people here would probably think of as usually being male dominated are female dominated, most arts subjects have more girls...
If you are a girl then you won't complain with those figures :biggrin:

A guy would find it depressing.....
Reply 63
You'd think that would leave us with overwhelming choice...but you'd be wrong...
:rofl:

Maybe...... (but thats because you are at Oxford :p: )
Reply 65
Haha, probably. I miss North American boys. At least I know where I am with them, so many guys here are just so...awkward.
Lol. ;console;

Maybe if you do masters at Cambridge you will meet better guys :biggrin:
Reply 67
harr
Why isn't it a reasonable thing to ask? If a higher proportion of male applicants are successful than female, it seems stupider to me to not wonder about it. If he'd assumed that it must be discrimination without really thinking about it then I could accept you calling him stupid, but he's just come here and asked for opinions, hopefully making people think about why there's a discrepancy.

The point is, there's no statistically significant discrepancy at all. To the nearest 5%, it's a straight 50:50.
Reply 68
If it's just one year then I'd agree, but I think he said something about the balance being in favour of males consistently over a longer period. Of course the difference is still tiny, but I'd be inclined to say that it is a significant insignificant difference.
Reply 69
Mayfly
Haha, there's 80 boys in my year at college compared to 34 girls.

Now THAT'S a big discrepancy.

I have absolutely no idea why that is though - some subjects people here would probably think of as usually being male dominated are female dominated, most arts subjects have more girls...

And pretty much the same in the year above you, and the third year too. The current fourth year (as well as the people who left last summer as third years) was pretty much 50/50.
Reply 70
Shrayans
Lol. ;console;

Maybe if you do masters at Cambridge you will meet better guys :biggrin:

Haha, I'm being unfair. There's nothing wrong with most people in our year, most are lovely, the college system just doesn't lend itself well to dating so the huge amounts of guys aren't as beneficial as they might seem.

I'm not sure if any colleges have more girls than guys...anyone know? Hilda's doesn't count.
Reply 71
I read here at one point that Emmanuel at Cambridge was one of the few colleges with more women than men.
Zhen Lin
I read here at one point that Emmanuel at Cambridge was one of the few colleges with more women than men.

Planning already, eh Zhen Lin :biggrin: :biggrin:
Zhen Lin

Ahhh damn it :wink: *gp* of course, silly superstitous habits I have!
Reply 74
seriously, get over it.
At the very top level, there are more men with exceptional IQs than women. Its not that men have a substaintially different intelligence to women, just the standard deviation.

As intelligence scores among the study group rose, the academics say they found a widening gap between the sexes.

There were twice as many men with IQ scores of 125, for example, a level said to correspond with people getting first-class degrees.

At scores of 155, associated with genius, there were 5.5 men for every woman.
Reply 76
Well the reason is a men have a broader spectrum than women so IQ's don't average out any differently.

No ones surprised though maths - which we're supposed to be generally better at - makes up more of the tests than language comprehension if you ask me. And since we're supposed to have better spatial awareness too it's going to be that way. That doesn't make women less intelligent though, just not as good at IQ tests in certain parts of the bell curve.

If you think IQ measures intelligence with any real precision though, I'd say not, but then everyone disagrees with me on this one bar the inventors of the IQ test and most anyone with any knowledge of how they work.
Reply 77
Otter123
Why on EARTH are there more boys than girls at Oxbridge?

In their latest prospectus (you can find it on the web) it states:

Applicants: Boys Girls
50.6% 49.4%

So the statistics should be the same for the percentage of boys and girls admitted. But no -

Successful applicants: Boys = 53%
Girls = 47%

Why is this, when girls' A-Level results are OVERALL better? If A-levels play a large part (which they should) then we would be seeing about 60% girls and 40% boys at Oxbridge based on academic achievments.

I've been told that it's because the people at the top of Oxbridge are conservative stuffy old men who'd prefer their public school boys to get in. From the stats it seems that girls are discrimiated against.

Some say that perhaps boys are more confident in the interview and therefore get more places than girls. But this is hardly true.

What do people think?

So in terms of the population in general, girls do better at A-levels than boys, therefore the top 1% of girls should be better than the top 1% of boys?

Firstly, you fail to grasp the requirements for a successful Oxbridge application. At the time of giving out offers, A-level results aren't even known (instead predicted grades have to be used), and even if they were, they wouldn't have as much sway as admissions tests or the interview. Nearly everyone applying will be expecting at least 3 As, so clearly whilst A-levels can differentiate within the entire population, within the pools of potential applicants they cannot.

This leads me on to another failing in your argument. The statistics for the general population can rarely be extrapolated to a tiny fraction of that population. Going by the population in general, girls destroy boys at GCSE and KS3 Maths. Now have a look at the boy to girl ratio in the IMOC teams....

Why exactly is it so obvious that boys are not more confident than girls? Certainly, boys tend to be more ambitious at an early age (especially those applying for PPE) and this ambition undoubtedly drives them. They might not be motivated by a dull A-level syllabus, but the prospect of being PM is likely to get them working a tad harder, don't you think?
Reply 78
t.w.
So in terms of the population in general, girls do better at A-levels than boys, therefore the top 1% of girls should be better than the top 1% of boys?

Firstly, you fail to grasp the requirements for a successful Oxbridge application. At the time of giving out offers, A-level results aren't even known (instead predicted grades have to be used), and even if they were, they wouldn't have as much sway as admissions tests or the interview. Nearly everyone applying will be expecting at least 3 As, so clearly whilst A-levels can differentiate within the entire population, within the pools of potential applicants they cannot.

This leads me on to another failing in your argument. The statistics for the general population can rarely be extrapolated to a tiny fraction of that population. Going by the population in general, girls destroy boys at GCSE and KS3 Maths. Now have a look at the boy to girl ratio in the IMOC teams....

Why exactly is it so obvious that boys are not more confident than girls? Certainly, boys tend to be more ambitious at an early age (especially those applying for PPE) and this ambition undoubtedly drives them. They might not be motivated by a dull A-level syllabus, but the prospect of being PM is likely to get them working a tad harder, don't you think?

It is worth pointing out at that of Oxbridge applicants, girls have higher grades on average, both at GCSE and A level.
One could also take the argument that girls do (significantly) worse in finals, so maybe this shows that less girls should be accepted. Not that I agree with this.

Latest

Trending

Trending