The Student Room Group

I want to break into the Computer games design industry!

First of all i would like to say hi to everyone here at :tsr2:

Lets explain my situation, Im currently studying Chemistry, PE and Biology at A-level to hopefully gain minimum BBC grade respectively.

I havent yet applied to a University or know exactly what i want to do next year. The reason being, i have just recently decided what i want to do with my life.

Ive heard about clearing for universities and im wondering if i will be able to apply for course "x" in August when i get my results on the 21st. Also i would like to know from anybody currently studying software writing what would be a good course "x" for me.

I would like some advice on what i should do about becoming a computer games writer?

Should I apply to course "x" when i get my results
Should I go back to college next year and study something to do with computer game writing (such as C++ or Java?)
Should i try and get an apprenticeship in ICT or something along those lines?

Please help me, i really dont know what I want or can do... :s-smilie: :confused:
You should apply for a degree course; although you've left it a little late and you may find it hard to find something good in clearing. Apply ASAP to unis now, and even if you're rejected you'll land in Extra. If that fails then clearing is your last shot. I'd suggest Computer Science with a strong emphasis on Software Engineering. You're probably best steering clear of actual Computer Games Design courses because if you change your mind then you're stuck with doing Games Design anyway. At least if you do Computer Science you're still getting your grounding in programming but you'll have the choice to change your mind in the future.

I'm doing the Computer BTEC and we were advised to steer away from Computer Games Design even if it's what we want in the future as Computer Science is just as accepted by the games industry. Hope that helps x
Reply 2
thank you very much for the reply, it helps alot.

What would be the best way of applying to university now? eg, UCAS or direct the the uni's (calling them up?)?

I dont really know much about the application process.
Reply 3
Definitely do computer science. But if you've never done any programming before, you might not like it as much as you think you will.
Reply 4
Both. You can apply and phone up the university. I would also look around at apprenticeships, after all they may fund you for higher education.
Reply 5
Just looked on the newcastle uni website and found these 2 degrees

# Computing Science (Games and Virtual Environments) BSc Honours (G450)
# Computing Science (Software Engineering) BSc Honours (G600)

Are you saying that i should go for the software engineering or do you think either of these is acceptable?
Reply 6
It's up to you, but the Software Engineering degree will set you up for a multitude of areas in Computer Science. If you want to get into the game industry then create your own game graphics and build up a portfolio, it's the easiest way to get into Game Design.
Reply 7
This is directly quoted from Bizarre Creations, the developers of PGR4 and The Club:

Requirements

* Strong C++ knowledge and experience.
* Comprehensive 3D math skills.
* Good knowledge and awareness of the 3D graphics pipeline.

Additional

* Vertex and Pixel shader knowledge (preferably HLSL) would be useful.
* Good documenting ability.
* Enthusiasm for games.
* Interest in cars.
* Good communication skills.
* Self-motivated.
* Willingness to learn and expand your skill set.

Things we like to see...

* Enthusiasm; a real love for the work.
* Talent - this is far more important than qualifications for us!
* Commitment to both the product and the team.
* The ability to see a project through to the end.
* Ability to work under time pressure
* An honest CV, and a good demo/samples of work.

Things we don't particularly look for:

* Games industry experience.
* Qualifications in the relevant subject (they can help, but aren't essential!).

Game developers don't want degrees in specific subjects, they want to see you're capable of working at the standard they want. You shouldn't choose computer science just because you think it'll get you a job, you have to create your own portfolio and impress the developer with your work, rather than your qualifications.

Choosing a degree course shouldn't necessarily be because it'll do everything for you, because developers might not actually like that- it should be a course that teaches you what you need to program, and enough to let you go and do your own things to impress potential employers.
Reply 8
Icy is 100% bob on. The degree will get you the interview, it's your actual portfolio / experience that will get you the job. It's the same for the entire industry from design to programming. Good luck and all the best to you though :biggrin:
Reply 9
Yep, the word from Bizzare is that i dont even need a degree, lol. (not that im going to take that to heart)

I thank all of you for the information :smile:

You have put my mind at rest somewhat.
uhm.. wont you need a level maths for comp sci?
Reply 11
trance addict
uhm.. wont you need a level maths for comp sci?

Just GCSE maths grade B and 3 A levels ABC (can be anything) thats for newcastle.

Its 240 UCAS points for Sunderland and GCSE maths grade B

Those are the only 2 uni's i can go to in my area and live at home.
Reply 12
Why do you have to live at home?
snoogy
You're probably best steering clear of actual Computer Games Design courses because if you change your mind then you're stuck with doing Games Design anyway. At least if you do Computer Science you're still getting your grounding in programming but you'll have the choice to change your mind in the future.
A commonly held opinion, but one I disagree with. Any good Games "Design" degree will teach you the skills required to convert to an area in Computer Science; just as any good Computer Science degree will offer the contrary.

snoogy
I'm doing the Computer BTEC and we were advised to steer away from Computer Games Design even if it's what we want in the future as Computer Science is just as accepted by the games industry.
This is true; but if somebody has a strong interest in games specifically, they might get bored studying a CS degree. I don't know about you, but if I'm going to dedicate 3 years of my life to something, I'd much rather it was interesting (given the choice).

KevinMc
Should I go back to college next year and study something to do with computer game writing (such as C++ or Java?)
C++ is the main language of the games industry - if you're going to study anything, make sure that it reflects this.
Just a quick recommendation- if you have next to no experience of programming, download Microsoft XNA and the appropriate Visual Studio packages (google XNA, Microsoft will tell you everything you need). It's a truly awesome game development tool, it's what's taught me pretty much everything that I know about programming so far and I owe it a heck of a lot.

It's really good for finding out what you can expect in terms of programming commercial games because, while getting rid of the fiddly low-level code that you have associated with writing games straight in C++, it is designed for writing games in and such has a huge array of tutorials available online to guide you through the basics. You won't be writing Crysis 2 in it, but you'll learn enough about writing games to have a pretty good feeling about whether you enjoy it enough to pursue it as a career.
Reply 15
Icy_Mikki
Just a quick recommendation- if you have next to no experience of programming, download Microsoft XNA and the appropriate Visual Studio packages (google XNA, Microsoft will tell you everything you need). It's a truly awesome game development tool, it's what's taught me pretty much everything that I know about programming so far and I owe it a heck of a lot.

It's really good for finding out what you can expect in terms of programming commercial games because, while getting rid of the fiddly low-level code that you have associated with writing games straight in C++, it is designed for writing games in and such has a huge array of tutorials available online to guide you through the basics. You won't be writing Crysis 2 in it, but you'll learn enough about writing games to have a pretty good feeling about whether you enjoy it enough to pursue it as a career.

I disagree, but thats merely because I believe to learn what you need for the job as quick as possible. I would get knee-deep with C/C++ and learning just about everything about programming from these. You may not be making games, but you will learn how programming works.
Severo
I disagree, but thats merely because I believe to learn what you need for the job as quick as possible. I would get knee-deep with C/C++ and learning just about everything about programming from these. You may not be making games, but you will learn how programming works.

Have you used XNA/C#? C# is extremely similar to C/C++, and XNA is a proper games development studio, not one of these point-and-click things. It's allowed my to jump between programming languages with very little difficulty- from PHP to C++, and write decent stuff in them. Don't underestimate it just because it's got "Game Studio" tacked on the end of it. :wink:
Original post by Giga Flare
A commonly held opinion, but one I disagree with. Any good Games "Design" degree will teach you the skills required to convert to an area in Computer Science; just as any good Computer Science degree will offer the contrary.

This is true; but if somebody has a strong interest in games specifically, they might get bored studying a CS degree. I don't know about you, but if I'm going to dedicate 3 years of my life to something, I'd much rather it was interesting (given the choice).

C++ is the main language of the games industry - if you're going to study anything, make sure that it reflects this.

Apply ASAP to unis now, and even if you're rejected you'll land in Extra. If that fails then clearing is your last shot. I'd suggest Computer Science with a strong emphasis on Software Engineering.
Reply 18
Defiantly dont do a degree in Computer Games Development or design. I did one at South Wales and while it was ok it didn't really give you many options for jobs as employers didnt see how a module like game engine design would help you in any way even though it was alot of programming.

Im now doing Computing and its alot more respected when you go to interviews and ive learnt alot more. If your really wanting to go into games then start learning to program now not just in C++ but also try java so you can do games for mobiles and try learning a scripting language. Also try and get personal projects done, it gives you so much more to talk about in interviews and also helps if you decide that the games industry isnt for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending