The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
They were not 'random'

We were given these figures at UCL open day by an admissions tutor.
Reply 21
Mr White
...is what made our nation great.

Characteristics which cause detriment to most people, and make those with 'em sad, lonely people.

Back to med schools :wink:, if you really want a poll then why not put up all of the UK med schools. Then we can all say which ones we think are good, then you can choose which ones you want to apply to :biggrin:.
lollipop
They were not 'random'

We were given these figures at UCL open day by an admissions tutor.

well I would be wary of these 'facts and figures' which people just throw around. It makes it seem that getting on a course is down to a toss of a coin. Its not, someone with bad grades, no work experience and a very poor interview just won't get a place.
DanMushMan
well I would be wary of these 'facts and figures' which people just throw around. It makes it seem that getting on a course is down to a toss of a coin. Its not, someone with bad grades, no work experience and a very poor interview just won't get a place.

yes but also people with good grades,work experience and good interviews will also not get a place, a lot of my friends who applied to ucl last year were told that their appilications were simply not looked at, purely because there were too many forms for the admissions people to go through and so by like feb they still hadnt heard anything.

i know for london the uni's go imp,ucl,kings,qm+st georges in order of reputation and trickiness of entry
Unregistered29
yes but also people with good grades,work experience and good interviews will also not get a place, a lot of my friends who applied to ucl last year were told that their appilications were simply not looked at, purely because there were too many forms for the admissions people to go through and so by like feb they still hadnt heard anything.

i know for london the uni's go imp,ucl,kings,qm+st georges in order of reputation and trickiness of entry

everyone doens't seem to rate St George's but its one of the best medical unis in the country, and for me, better than kings + QM
abdirahim
i will be going to uni to study medicine so i would like you nice people to help me go to the best uni for medicine after i get my A-levels.

thanks

For Medicine I really *don't* recommend Oxford. Basically if you wanna do Medicine, wherever you did your degree you'll end up with the same qualification, same necessary knowledge and you'll probably get the same position (with a same salary). But if you go to Oxford it's slave labour for 6 years, there's so much more work, and it's bloody hard - at the end of the first year 1 in 3 got "viva'd" (had to do an oral retake) inc my mates who worked away for the whole year. Places like Newcastle & Manchester are actually better than Oxford for Medicine according to subject tables too, and there's less pressure. The same could possibly be said abt Cambridge ie much harder work and more pressure for effectively the same result.
Reply 26
That's very true. I hear that Cambridge medics work very hard! I guess it's 'cos Oxford and Cambridge want to train up their medics in the preclinical stuff pretty thoroughly before they move onto clincals
King's College, London is the best funded and biggest medical school in the country (it's research funding is massive compared to all the other schools).

I don't see why it matters - a medical degree leaves you qualified as a doctor regardless of where you study, the best thing is to research the different teaching techniques and universities and find the one which matches your needs best.

Are you likely to want to intercalate (study for an extra yr and come out with a BM *and* a BSc) because not all schools offer intercalation so it should narrow down your list.
I'm at the university of Liverpool medical school and it's the best course - in the QAA's scoring, liverpool got 24/24 with a star rating, while the next best was Nottingham with 24/24 without the star. Undoubtedly the best nightlife, best people+culture, everyone here loves it and this is everyones first choice. It has the oldest med school students society and the maddest! other places like manchester pale in comparision if you actually come and see here, with a huge new complex of buildings to learn in - state of the art!

seriously come to liverpool, I'm having the time of my life. Oxford and Cambidge are just stuffy private school hangouts, not like real life at all!
Reply 29
This is nothing to do with the thread - I'm just intrigued at how pkonline can vote multiple times on the poll and yet when I try it doesn't work. :confused:
Reply 30
Adhsur
This is nothing to do with the thread - I'm just intrigued at how pkonline can vote multiple times on the poll and yet when I try it doesn't work. :confused:

Hmmmmmm.................I think you are right...............this has nothing to do with the thread whatsoever.
Unregistered
I'm at the university of Liverpool medical school and it's the best course - in the QAA's scoring, liverpool got 24/24 with a star rating, while the next best was Nottingham with 24/24 without the star.

While I agree that Liverpool is a great city (I'm a scouser after all even living about as far south as you can get)...beware taking the QAA scores as gospel. They aren't measured on the quality of the course - they're measured on how well the course fulfills it's aims - so a crap course which fulfills all it's aims could score higher than a demanding course which misses the mark on a couple of points.

On the other hand the actual review documents (which includes a summary of good points and any problems/improvements that need to be made at the end) are well worth a read as they give a lot of information about the structure of the course and how different parts of a subject are weighted.

The reports for *all* medicine reviews are here. It's also worth checking out the date of the review (although the medicine ones all appear to be 1998+) as some date back to 1993.

These reviews will no longer be undertaken by subject, in compensation universities have to publish more information from their internal quality assurance procedures.
Adhsur

It's probably what happens if you click view results (ie a null vote so one gets added to every option)
Reply 33
I'm In my first year at Manchester Med School and from the 4 i applied to Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, and Leicester it is by far and away the best. I would definately reccomend it. Whilst it can take a while to get used to the PBL style it is undoubtlably fantastic way to learn medicine. I would thoroughly discourage anybody applying to Oxford or Cambridge for medicine, whilst they my be excellent for the likes of Law or PPE they don't compare to a few of the better med schools including Manchester. Whilst Liverpool is a nice place i'm sure! (not entirely convinced) How can you possibly say the manchester is not a patch on it, all I can say is come and try it LOSER! As for other Unis I must stress don't let your grades influence your decision, do not think "O i will apply to a so called 'easy' to get into med school" they are all very hard and i made that mistake because i was worried about applyin to some places because of my grades then when I got my grades it turned out to be 4A's so i could have pretty much gone anywhere! If i was applying again i would probably choose: MANCHESTER, Nottingham, Newcastle and Edinburugh. (In that order) Probably the 4 best med schools outside london where Imperial would be my first choice. Good luck anyway.
Dave
Reply 34
I didn't vote for UCL! I'm at Imperial - the last thing I'd do is vote for them lot :biggrin:!

Latest