The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

do you like teeth?
Would you consider yourself a practical inclined person? ie like to use your hands to make/build things.
Reply 3
Depends what you want!
medicine, enough said.
They're pretty different, each with their own advantages and disadvantages, very person-specific. The same person who would kill to be a medic, may hate to be a dentist and vice versa.

In terms of pay, prestige and competition for places theres very little difference i.e both very high.
Reply 6
Liek medicine is teh pwnzor
Reply 7
What do you want to do? What is it about the two careers that attracts you to both?

Money?
Profession & status?
Job stability?
Helping people?

I would hazzard that many medics who do surgery would be good dentists and that many tooth butchers would be good medics.
Reply 8
Medecine is a lot broader so there are lots of specialities.
Medicine, personally. If you want to help people, I would say Medicine is more suited to you. If not (and you like teeth ;grin; ) , go for Dentistry!
dentists aren't uncaring!! it's not like fixing peoples cavities and stopping their teeth hurting isn't helping them....

:teeth:
I just mean, if you want a more broad experience of helping people, Medicine would probably suit you more.
Emmalouise1990
I just mean, if you want a more broad experience of helping people, Medicine would probably suit you more.

Eh? Doctors and dentists help people with health problems...
In terms of what doctors and dentists actually do. Doctors can work in A&E, as GP's,surgeons, go into phychiatry etc. Whereas there is not as much choice in dentistry.
Medicine, then if you decide you really want to do the whole face thing, you could do maxillofacial surgery
Alex L
Medicine, then if you decide you really want to do the whole face thing, you could do maxillofacial surgery

LOL.Good to have a backup plan! :wink:
Emmalouise1990
In terms of what doctors and dentists actually do. Doctors can work in A&E, as GP's,surgeons, go into phychiatry etc. Whereas there is not as much choice in dentistry.

The OP could do both and do Max fax. There we go problem solved.

edit: Just noticed Alex L beat me to the punch, Im getting slow :biggrin:
Reply 17
Emmalouise1990
In addition to the above. I assume that the direct equivalent of GP in medicine is GDP and within hospital dentistry there must be over a dozen distinct specialities...
Reply 18
Emmalouise1990

:laugh:
Reply 19
my friend says he wants :

interesting broad career ( ie. medicine)
status - ( more on medicine)
free time enough to spend decent time with family and spare time to do other things ( dentistry?)
money ( is medicine actually enough?)

can i have some personal opinions as to how any of u wud weigh these factors, and which you would end up chosing, also whether medicine keeps us 'wealthy' and if dentistry really makes life easier?

Latest

Trending

Trending