The Student Room Group

Is tax credits affected by teacher training bursary for SKE bursary?

I am eligible for 26k tax free bursary from Sept 2019 for teaching Biology and £200 per week for completing a 28 week SKE course, which I am going to start in Feb 2019.

Will receiving either of these effect my tax credits?

I currently work part time and receive both child and working tax credit but am not sure whether to inform them in Feb when I start the SKE course. And if it's not counted as income I may continue working until I start my teacher training, but if it is counted as income I will give up work to focus on the SKE.

Thanks in advance
Hi

AFAIK, the SKE bursary isn't considered income for the purposes of tax credits, and most student income (such as the teaching bursary) will be disregarded. However, I'm not 100% on this as I can't find anything referencing the SKE bursary directly. The NUS recommends you declare any student income in the "other" section, though.

However, universal credit has different rules and both would be regarded as income under universal credit rules. I guess, like most people, you'll be switched over whenever you declare a change in circumstances (e.g. when you become a full time student), so I would expect to lose your tax credits then. Don't forget, though, that the bursary is tax free, so you get to keep all of it, and if you need to, you can claim a fees loan and maintenance loan as well. I know childcare is expensive, but hopefully this will help you manage.

I hope this helps and good luck with your SKE!
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hi

AFAIK, the SKE bursary isn't considered income for the purposes of tax credits, and most student income (such as the teaching bursary) will be disregarded. However, I'm not 100% on this as I can't find anything referencing the SKE bursary directly. The NUS recommends you declare any student income in the "other" section, though.

However, universal credit has different rules and both would be regarded as income under universal credit rules. I guess, like most people, you'll be switched over whenever you declare a change in circumstances (e.g. when you become a full time student), so I would expect to lose your tax credits then. Don't forget, though, that the bursary is tax free, so you get to keep all of it, and if you need to, you can claim a fees loan and maintenance loan as well. I know childcare is expensive, but hopefully this will help you manage.

I hope this helps and good luck with your SKE!

Thank you :smile:

After I posted I decided to give them a ring and your right, all bursary payments are not classed as income. The guy on the phone said he would record that I had called just incase they change their mind. Not sure about universal credit, as I have managed to not be changed over so far so fingers crossed they leave me alone for another 18 months :smile:
Original post by heidimmoore
Thank you :smile:

After I posted I decided to give them a ring and your right, all bursary payments are not classed as income. The guy on the phone said he would record that I had called just incase they change their mind. Not sure about universal credit, as I have managed to not be changed over so far so fingers crossed they leave me alone for another 18 months :smile:

It's good the SKE isn't classed as income, and hopefully it won't cause you any problems.

Hopefully DWP leave you alone for the time being but unfortunately, I think 2019 is when people start to be migrated over to universal credit. I also believe if you have a change in circumstances (such as becoming a full time student) that can trigger the switch over, but some groups also have protections. There's more info here that might help:
https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal-Credit-Pilot

Hopefully you won't be affected!
Hi, im thinking of starting in 2020 sept . I also have a child, he is 4. Do you know if it effects your housing benefit?
Original post by heidimmoore
I am eligible for 26k tax free bursary from Sept 2019 for teaching Biology and £200 per week for completing a 28 week SKE course, which I am going to start in Feb 2019.

Will receiving either of these effect my tax credits?

I currently work part time and receive both child and working tax credit but am not sure whether to inform them in Feb when I start the SKE course. And if it's not counted as income I may continue working until I start my teacher training, but if it is counted as income I will give up work to focus on the SKE.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure about SKE but once you enrolled as a student switch to student finance as you may be elegible for 85% of your childcare costs to be covered!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending