The Student Room Group

Asian Cup games

Has anyone been following this?

Scroll to see replies

Aye about 15 minutes in, I imagine somewhere like Eurosport will be showing it?
Ah ok good to know
By the way you read this article about Yemen
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46721547
I know gotta feel sorry for them, I have known with some teams if they lose they then get beaten back in their home country, hope this won't be the case for them.
Full of shocks and it's only the first round of fixtures.

It's Iran's to lose. As long as some dipshit doesn't get himself sent off for unprofessionalism and ends up never playing for the country again this time.

It's a shame Singapore didn't qualify, otherwise we'd be watching the most capped Englishman of all time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Bennett_(footballer)
(edited 5 years ago)
Wow, India knocking themselves out England-style conceding a penalty in stoppage time in the final group game.
An Iran v South Korea final would be feisty.

Iran v Iraq maybe because of 4 years ago, but not so much.

Uzbekistan have a decent chance to make it to the final before inevitably choking as always.

I am wondering if the Aussie will play a part.
Australia bungling and scraping through every match, this time managing a 0-0 v Uzbekistan before winning on penalties.

So they're gonna win it if Euro 2016 is anything to go by.
(edited 5 years ago)
This is football. That's not how it works!
So the supercomputer is wrong. Odds are odds.

Are you new to sport? There's no guarantees and rarely does even a day go by where the favourites won every match that day.
The player who scored the winner that knocked out Iraq was born in Iraq. Awkward.
Son's bloody lucky he won the Asian Games otherwise his career would be over now! Qatar doing a Russia/South Korea and they're not even hosts yet!
Shocked at that Qatar beating South Korea, Australia and UAE are on now.
Tbh the standard of football has been a bit low although the games have been exciting enough.

All of Iran's goals vs China were school-boy mistakes, likewise Qatar's winner vs Australia. Additionally, a fair few goals only came about via penalties. I am not surprised why most Asian teams disappointed at the World Cup just gone.
Original post by thatapanydude
Tbh the standard of football has been a bit low although the games have been exciting enough.

All of Iran's goals vs China were school-boy mistakes, likewise Qatar's winner vs Australia. Additionally, a fair few goals only came about via penalties. I am not surprised why most Asian teams disappointed at the World Cup just gone.

Iran would've been the same if not for Queiroz. The concept of only having coaches from the same country only works for the top countries. Someone with the experience of Queiroz has completely changed football there for generations and developed the players and infrastructure to a level not seen since the Revolution, or probably ever.
Second Asian Cup in a row that Iran are knocked out because of one (or several) player's unprofessionalism, especially for a team that's kinda famed for its fair play and sportsmanship.

Though I don't get how that's a penalty even without VAR. Obviously that's where your hand goes when you make a slide tackle, it wasn't some sophisticated scheme to handball.
Japan vs Qatar final... which means both teams are in the 2021 Confederations Cup
Original post by hello_shawn
Japan vs Qatar final... which means both teams are in the 2021 Confederations Cup

Unconfirmed. The format of the Confederations Cup is due to be changed or completely scrapped. The best idea is changing it to the playoffs of World Cup qualifying where all the .5 teams face off to gain the final 1 or 2 spots.

Quick Reply

Latest