The Student Room Group

Asian Cup games

Scroll to see replies

Queiroz has stepped down as Iran coach for the zillionth time, but probably for good this time.

2022 was the big one, being in the middle-east and with everyone being at good ages but, despite the monumental impact he's had on the players and game there, the ever-unpopular FA only offered him a 1-year extension (until the Asian Cup) rather than until 2022 so he's gone. Unless they can get him back again.

Whoever they get to replace him will be a huge regression on Iran's greatest ever manager.
Ridiculous VAR assisted decision, and a bizarre yellow card to rub it in. Awful from the ref there. Was getting exciting up until that point.
I never knew qatar can play football... Are their players import or natural born?
Original post by HucktheForde
I never knew qatar can play football... Are their players import or natural born?

Their right back is Portuguese, other than that I'm not sure. Though I won't be surprised if the rest of them are foreigners with Qatar citizenship too
Original post by HucktheForde

They can't. Well, not especially, until now. They only got out of the group stage of the Asian Cup once before, and in World Cup qualifiers they often reach the final group stages but never really threaten the playoff places let alone automatic spots, so they're the 7th-10th best Asian team overall.

They used to bend the rules on foreigners, but they said they want a proper Qatari team for 2022. I haven't checked the players, but the 'Iraqi' has been living since a young age in Qatar and gone through their youth system, and the Portuguese player has been there at least 5 years apparently. Probably fair to say the Qatar side now is as home-grown as the England, France, Swiss, German etc. sides.

Quick Reply

Latest