The Student Room Group

Thomas Hitzlsperger asks gay footballers keen to come out listen to their own voice

Its a myth that there are gay footballers in the same % as the general population.

I'd be surpised if there were more than 2/3 in the PL...
Reckon there's about a dozen, but there's so many reasons why nobody will make it public any time soon.

There's still large parts of the world deeply opposed to homosexuality. If you're a gay footballer playing you're going to have issues when playing any away game, especially in Europe or international football. There will be taunts from your own fans every time you makes a mistake, every time you're spotted in public etc. Just look at all the abuse Bellerin got the other day.

I've heard countless stories about friends/family rejecting someone who comes out as gay. In a Premier League dressing room you're going to have 40-50 people once the squad players, coaches, support staff etc are factored in. Not all of them will be your friend, and someone is bound to take issue with it.

I don't think I need to explain to anyone how the gutter press would respond to it either. The star players at Liverpool, Arsenal, United etc are used to constant press attention and negativity, but would the back up at Cardiff City be able to handle it?
Original post by Zürich
Its a myth that there are gay footballers in the same % as the general population.

How so?
A lot more women have come out in Sport generally
Original post by Zürich
Have you met any gay men?

Not saying they're not mentally cut out for sport but in general, they are drama queens, low testosterone, effeminate guys. Fair enough they are many athletic gay guys but not in contact sport, just runners and guys who work out. And in terms of personality, they do lack a certain focus and determination to win, imo and in general. And not forgetting that frankly, gay guys are not attracted to sports and prefer jobs like fashion, marketing etc etc. A stereotype yes, but one that happens to be true. Use your eyes.

I would bet that in non-public jobs like pilots, engineering etc, where there would be basically no controversy, that the % is lower also. So its a PC myth that sport needs to "break down the barrier". There is no way in my mind that the same % of the PL will be gay as the general population. Absolutely no problems obviously is half the PL was gay but I just dont buy it.

Un-PC but its the elephant in the room.

So basically lazy stereotypes and nothing of substance or value. It's not "the elephant in the room", it's you posting utter *******s and pretending it's anywhere near fact.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
So basically lazy stereotypes and nothing of substance or value. It's not "the elephant in the room", it's you posting utter *******s and pretending it's anywhere near fact.

Know idea of its fact, just my opinion.
The Guardians view of the world is an opinion too though.

Quick Reply

Latest