The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE accommodation Q and A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dp29420
I have self catered - how much is ur one per week?

£358 x
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
hey, does anyone know how to book their arrival time slots?
Original post by ciacob2211
hey, does anyone know how to book their arrival time slots?

You need to complete onboarding it will be on of the questions
Reply 403
Hello, does anyone know when accommodation usually comes out for LSE?
Original post by millie.t
Hello, does anyone know when accommodation usually comes out for LSE?
Hi, Sign up for the notifications but I think it is mid-March when they open up the accommadation booking portal

https://www.lse.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/apply
Original post by Bubbley01
Hi, Sign up for the notifications but I think it is mid-March when they open up the accommadation booking portal
https://www.lse.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/apply
Thank you! Already signed up for the notifications so just waiting to see when they'll open up :smile:
Does anyone know how strict they are with the guest policy? Does this vary from accommodation to accommodation? (postgrad)
Any current students have any advice/experience choosing between Lilian Knowles and Urbanest?
In terms of social life, are any halls significantly better than others? Currently thinking of choosing bankside, however unsure how social it is or how much it is international/home student. Any help would be great thanks!
Original post by Anonymous #45
In terms of social life, are any halls significantly better than others? Currently thinking of choosing bankside, however unsure how social it is or how much it is international/home student. Any help would be great thanks!
I'll copy and paste my response to someone else on a different thread:

Depends on what you're looking for exactly. I'll give an overview of the main ones and what the vibes/features are of each

Bankside (where I am):
by far LSE's biggest accom (around 600 students). They're meant to be demolishing it at some point so I'm not sure if it's even available for your cohort but if it is...
Bankside is very cliquey (but this is the case for LSE as a whole unfortunately) so past the first 2 weeks it's hard to integrate into a friend group. Therefore, it's quite important that you make an effort to be social within these first 2 weeks and do your best to find people you at least somewhat get on with. With LSE and Bankside being around 60-70% international, most of the foreign students only hang out with others from their country and the home students tend to form groups based on region of UK, class or race. A lot of Bankside's cliqueyness is due to its size I believe. It is impossible to get to know all 600 people so everyone finds a group quickly and sticks with it which obviously has downsides as well as positives.
dinner is included in the rent and eaten in a big canteen that very much gives school lunch vibes. The food is decent and you get a lot (sides, dessert, salad bar all included), there's a vegan option every day and a halal option 3 times a week. People almost exclusively sit in their friend groups.
because of its size, it's known as the social accom. Although it may be the most social accom at LSE, it's pretty dead in comparison to other universities. The wardens throw a party about once a term and although there are drinks, it's usually a case of people standing around awkwardly and nothing ever happens. There's also rarely any music. Apart from these gatherings, people don't really tend to throw their own parties at the accom as is the case at other universities. The common room is also rarely used past the first 2 weeks, although perhaps this would change with the new cohort. People tend to hang out in each others' rooms instead

Passfield:
A lot smaller, around 200 students I believe. I've heard that this makes it way less cliquey and people actually sit with those outside of their immediate circle at dinner which is also provided as with Bankside
I've heard the common room also isn't used very much. People tend to hang out in each others' rooms instead here too
They also have warden-thrown parties every so often here too but once again, people tend to just stand around awkwardly so apparently they're not very good
The menu for all LSE catered accoms is the same, so there's a vegan option every day here too and halal a few times a week
The benefits of Passfield is that it is the closest to campus (less than a 20 min walk), the cheapest accom, mostly home students as you have to move your stuff out/leave the accom during term breaks. While this last one is inconvenient, if you're a home student you'll likely find it easier to be at an accom that will primarily be made up of other home students as they tend to be more open to friendship. International-heavy accoms tend to become cliquey quite fast as intl students stay within their nationality groups.
The main drawback is that it can be a hassle to move your stuff out every term

Sidney Webb:
Benefits: very modern rooms and one of the few accoms which actually has a flat-style vibe. If you want the typical uni flatmate experience, this is the closest you'll get to it of the different accoms.
Drawbacks: the flats are made up of those of all different years, including some masters students. This can obviously make it harder to form friendships with your flatmates as a first year. I know a few people at this accom who only have one other first year in their flat. Another drawback is that it is more expensive and also around a 40 min walk from campus. Most people take the bus for this reason, which is £1.65 each way
Im an incoming Masters student and wanted a 50 week contract which only Lillian knowles and Urbanest Westminister seemed to have it. LSE opened all halls but it didnt give Urbanest as a choice so I got worried and booked Lillian Knowles (they still have to confirm it).
-Looking for reviews of Lillian Knowles , heard its old and not in a good area.
-How hard is it to get Urbanest if I cancel Lillian Knowles (as per LSE Accomodation team, I would have to cancel Lillian first and then they cannot guarantee the next one)
Thanks for any advise.
Original post by Anonymous #44
Any current students have any advice/experience choosing between Lilian Knowles and Urbanest?

Are you a new Masters student ? Are you able to see Urbanest in the New PG options ?
Im a new Masters student and it didnt show me Urbanest for New PG and I booked Lilian as wanted to get some booking. But now Im worried that Lilian is too old kind of building and far away.
Guys I'd like some advice.
So I received an offer for LSE to do a BSC in Economic History. But there is some serious conflict in my family about it. My parents are saying that the accommodation, travel, living costs are too high for them to afford. Thing is we're not poor, my dads on 75k , about 50k after tax which would kinda suggest I could do it. But this is the thing, my sister also has to go to uni next year (she's in year 12) so the cost almost doubles for both of us. On top of that he has a mortgage to pay and yk lots of other costs. So we really don't have any disposable income. But because of his salary, (mum is a stay at home mum) I'm not eligible for more than about 4 grand maintenance, if that, even in London.

This has been really depressing me because its been my dream to go to LSE and I just don't know what to do.
Any info on how much costs actually are, like a final figure would be helpful to help making my case to my parents. And overall any other advice would be really helpful :smile:
Original post by Robin Costache
So I received an offer for LSE to do a BSC in Economic History. But there is some serious conflict in my family about it. My parents are saying that the accommodation, travel, living costs are too high for them to afford. Thing is we're not poor, my dads on 75k , about 50k after tax which would kinda suggest I could do it. But this is the thing, my sister also has to go to uni next year (she's in year 12) so the cost almost doubles for both of us. On top of that he has a mortgage to pay and yk lots of other costs. So we really don't have any disposable income. But because of his salary, (mum is a stay at home mum) I'm not eligible for more than about 4 grand maintenance, if that, even in London.
This has been really depressing me because its been my dream to go to LSE and I just don't know what to do.
Any info on how much costs actually are, like a final figure would be helpful to help making my case to my parents. And overall any other advice would be really helpful :smile:

I'm pretty sure the minimum maintenance loan is £6000 if you're studying in London and £4000 if you're studying outside of London. LSE fortunately offers many shared rooms which significantly reduce the costs. I'd recommend choosing Passfield as their cheapest shared rooms are £3900 (may slightly increase for your cohort) and you are also provided dinner every day. Most people tend to have neutral/positive experiences with sharing a room so it shouldn't be a cause for concern. Passfield is also only a 15-20 minute walk from LSE's main campus, so your only living costs would be breakfast and lunch. They even allow you to get a second helping of food left over at the end of dinner time, which some put in a container for lunch the next day.

It also shouldn't be too hard to get a campus job such as being a campus ambassador. This tends not to take up too much time but pays pretty well. As the events are pretty irregular, you'll probably be able to pick up around £50 a month.

have you thought about deferring your offer and perhaps working throughout the year to help for the cost of living in London. I know some of my friends this year have deferred their london uni offer to save up and actually afford living in london.
How do you get an LSE public account so that you can book via the booking system. Is this something LSE email you? Any help would be useful
Original post by Anonymous
How do you get an LSE public account so that you can book via the booking system. Is this something LSE email you? Any help would be useful
When booking my accommodation a few weeks ago, i had this issue too, chasing after the tech people and admissions who were both utterly useless. I found that i had to wait about a week or two to get an email which enables you to make an account after accepting my offer.
Original post by Charlie872
When booking my accommodation a few weeks ago, i had this issue too, chasing after the tech people and admissions who were both utterly useless. I found that i had to wait about a week or two to get an email which enables you to make an account after accepting my offer.

Thanks for that confirmation - I’ve had the same issue!!

It depends on what your budget would be, I think LSE has more affordable options than some other London unis (UCL has a narrower range than LSE), so would they maybe say yes to a shared room about £6-7k a year? Also the way I convinced my parents was that I could get a paid summer internships in finance, get paid about £8k and use that to offset some of the costs of next year - something that the student touring my around LSE said he does.
Original post by Anonymous
I'll copy and paste my response to someone else on a different thread:
Depends on what you're looking for exactly. I'll give an overview of the main ones and what the vibes/features are of each
Bankside (where I am):
by far LSE's biggest accom (around 600 students). They're meant to be demolishing it at some point so I'm not sure if it's even available for your cohort but if it is...
Bankside is very cliquey (but this is the case for LSE as a whole unfortunately) so past the first 2 weeks it's hard to integrate into a friend group. Therefore, it's quite important that you make an effort to be social within these first 2 weeks and do your best to find people you at least somewhat get on with. With LSE and Bankside being around 60-70% international, most of the foreign students only hang out with others from their country and the home students tend to form groups based on region of UK, class or race. A lot of Bankside's cliqueyness is due to its size I believe. It is impossible to get to know all 600 people so everyone finds a group quickly and sticks with it which obviously has downsides as well as positives.
dinner is included in the rent and eaten in a big canteen that very much gives school lunch vibes. The food is decent and you get a lot (sides, dessert, salad bar all included), there's a vegan option every day and a halal option 3 times a week. People almost exclusively sit in their friend groups.
because of its size, it's known as the social accom. Although it may be the most social accom at LSE, it's pretty dead in comparison to other universities. The wardens throw a party about once a term and although there are drinks, it's usually a case of people standing around awkwardly and nothing ever happens. There's also rarely any music. Apart from these gatherings, people don't really tend to throw their own parties at the accom as is the case at other universities. The common room is also rarely used past the first 2 weeks, although perhaps this would change with the new cohort. People tend to hang out in each others' rooms instead
Passfield:
A lot smaller, around 200 students I believe. I've heard that this makes it way less cliquey and people actually sit with those outside of their immediate circle at dinner which is also provided as with Bankside
I've heard the common room also isn't used very much. People tend to hang out in each others' rooms instead here too
They also have warden-thrown parties every so often here too but once again, people tend to just stand around awkwardly so apparently they're not very good
The menu for all LSE catered accoms is the same, so there's a vegan option every day here too and halal a few times a week
The benefits of Passfield is that it is the closest to campus (less than a 20 min walk), the cheapest accom, mostly home students as you have to move your stuff out/leave the accom during term breaks. While this last one is inconvenient, if you're a home student you'll likely find it easier to be at an accom that will primarily be made up of other home students as they tend to be more open to friendship. International-heavy accoms tend to become cliquey quite fast as intl students stay within their nationality groups.
The main drawback is that it can be a hassle to move your stuff out every term
Sidney Webb:
Benefits: very modern rooms and one of the few accoms which actually has a flat-style vibe. If you want the typical uni flatmate experience, this is the closest you'll get to it of the different accoms.
Drawbacks: the flats are made up of those of all different years, including some masters students. This can obviously make it harder to form friendships with your flatmates as a first year. I know a few people at this accom who only have one other first year in their flat. Another drawback is that it is more expensive and also around a 40 min walk from campus. Most people take the bus for this reason, which is £1.65 each way

I'm not anon but this is really helpful, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending