The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE accommodation Q and A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hello,
I was looking for accomodation for the year 2020/2021 and it seems like all the halls/residences are unavailable.
I imagine it's because it's still quite early into this year. Does anyone know when accomodations open for the next year?

Thanks!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Original post by Marsann
Hello,
I was looking for accomodation for the year 2020/2021 and it seems like all the halls/residences are unavailable.
I imagine it's because it's still quite early into this year. Does anyone know when accomodations open for the next year?

Thanks!

Have the apps even opened up for the coming year?
I've heard a lot about the social aspect of LSE-catered halls being superior to intercollegiate halls. Can anyone that has stayed in an intercollegiate hall, especially Westminster Urbanest, speak to this. I will be in the general course next year so I'm guessing first-year events don't matter in my case. Any opinions of Urbanest or General course housing tips are welcome! Looking for the best housing option where there are still LSE students.
Reply 43
Does anyone know what a twin en-suite room is like in Bankside? I assume it is a room with2beds with a private bathroom but the 360 tour on LSE website shows 2 separate rooms and a bathroom for one twin en-suite.
Hiii, I've booked my accommodation at Rosebery twin ensuite and some of my close friends are living in Bankside, is anyone interested in swapping maybe...???? thankssss
Rosebery or Passfield

Advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Rosebery or Passfield

Advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks

They're pretty similar. The only real differences are:
- Rosebery is quite a lot bigger (600 people vs. 250 at Passfield)
- So, potentially, you have a wider pool from which to find close friends at Rosebery
- But Passfield I would say has a better sense of community as everyone knows or at least recognises everyone else
- Different areas: Bloomsbury vs. Islington (I personally prefer Bloomsbury)
- Rosebery has more modern rooms, as it's a purpose built hall; Passfield is a converted Georgian building (so can get a little chilly in winter as no double glazing)
Original post by LeapingLucy
- So, potentially, you have a wider pool from which to find close friends at Rosebery
- But Passfield I would say has a better sense of community as everyone knows or at least recognises everyone else
- Rosebery has more modern rooms, as it's a purpose built hall; Passfield is a converted Georgian building (so can get a little chilly in winter as no double glazing)

Hi Lucy, any ideas about Rosebery vs Bankside? Is Bankside a lot better? Cuz looks like so many people are going there and I've heard the facilities in rosebery are really old...
Hi Lucy, any ideas about Rosebery vs Bankside? Is Bankside a lot better? Cuz looks like so many people are going there and I've heard the facilities in rosebery are really old...

I've never actually set foot in either, so I don't know.
Original post by LeapingLucy

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for getting back.

I don't really know London. How does Bloomsbury compare to Islington in terms of culture, affordability and fun?

Thanks again

Rosebery is honestly fine - it was an excellent hall when I was in first year last year. The communal area is like a conservatory which you can use to also chill outside in summer which is great. Also BIG BIG advantage of Rosebery over Bankside: shorter commute to campus.

Bankside, yes it’s great and has a good reputation as a hall but it’s the furthest one from campus by quite some margin (it’s in south London for starters.)

At Passfield or Rosebery you’d have a sound 25 minute walk to campus which is easy. At Bankside it’s more like 35-40 minutes.

Something to consider especially when it’s winter or if it’s raining badly etc.
Hi Lucy,

Thanks for getting back.

I don't really know London. How does Bloomsbury compare to Islington in terms of culture, affordability and fun?

Thanks again

Bloomsbury has more of a middle class vibe while Islington is very much a working class area by nature.

HOWEVER Rosebery itself isn’t in Islington proper it’s in Clerkenwell which is sort of in between Bloomsbury and Islington.
Original post by Connor27
Bloomsbury has more of a middle class vibe while Islington is very much a working class area by nature.

HOWEVER Rosebery itself isn’t in Islington proper it’s in Clerkenwell which is sort of in between Bloomsbury and Islington.

Hi Connor,

Which has better nightlife and more of a community?
Rosebery is honestly fine - it was an excellent hall when I was in first year last year. The communal area is like a conservatory which you can use to also chill outside in summer which is great. Also BIG BIG advantage of Rosebery over Bankside: shorter commute to campus.

Bankside, yes it’s great and has a good reputation as a hall but it’s the furthest one from campus by quite some margin (it’s in south London for starters.)

At Passfield or Rosebery you’d have a sound 25 minute walk to campus which is easy. At Bankside it’s more like 35-40 minutes.

Something to consider especially when it’s winter or if it’s raining badly etc.

Thank you for your reply!!! This reassures me so much haha :smile:
May I ask a few more questions?
1) Have you heard any comments about twin ensuites?
2) Are the facilities really old (myddleton wing)? I've heard some complaints about the private bathrooms and the kitchens.
3) Though I love quiet surroundings, is Rosebery very isolated?
4) Are the refurbished rooms much better than the original ones or no significant differences? Cuz I heard that twin ensuites will go through refurbishments during the summer.
5) Any big negatives?

Sorry for asking so many questions haha, thank you in advance!!❤
Hi Connor,

Which has better nightlife and more of a community?

Neither of them are really nightlife areas since they’re residential areas - but it’s central London! You can get to the clubbing areas and bars with ease from either neighbourhood.

I’m not sure what you mean by community
Thank you for your reply!!! This reassures me so much haha :smile:
May I ask a few more questions?
1) Have you heard any comments about twin ensuites?
2) Are the facilities really old (myddleton wing)? I've heard some complaints about the private bathrooms and the kitchens.
3) Though I love quiet surroundings, is Rosebery very isolated?
4) Are the refurbished rooms much better than the original ones or no significant differences? Cuz I heard that twin ensuites will go through refurbishments during the summer.
5) Any big negatives?

Sorry for asking so many questions haha, thank you in advance!!❤

I’m not sure about the refurbished rooms because the refurbishments were still ongoing when I finished first year (bear in mind I’m second year now and living in a private flat with two friends.)

The facilities (kitchens etc) aren’t great I won’t lie to you - but that’s just student halls in general. Plus Rosebery is catered for dinner so you won’t likely be using the kitchens except for breakfast. Can’t comment on private bathrooms as my experiences were all with the communal ones.

As for being isolated, I don’t think ANY of the LSE halls can be described as isolated. You must remember that campus is located in central London and therefore all the halls are too (since they are all less than 45 min walk from campus.) Central London is busy effectively 24/7 but you can stick to your room if you want isolation.

Which leads me into the big negative of not just Rosebery, but all LSE halls: they’re located in central London and sometimes it’s hard to get some peace and tranquility without outright retreating to your room.
Neither of them are really nightlife areas since they’re residential areas - but it’s central London! You can get to the clubbing areas and bars with ease from either neighbourhood.

I’m not sure what you mean by community

I mean social life amongst the students living there.
I’m not sure about the refurbished rooms because the refurbishments were still ongoing when I finished first year (bear in mind I’m second year now and living in a private flat with two friends.)

The facilities (kitchens etc) aren’t great I won’t lie to you - but that’s just student halls in general. Plus Rosebery is catered for dinner so you won’t likely be using the kitchens except for breakfast. Can’t comment on private bathrooms as my experiences were all with the communal ones.

As for being isolated, I don’t think ANY of the LSE halls can be described as isolated. You must remember that campus is located in central London and therefore all the halls are too (since they are all less than 45 min walk from campus.) Central London is busy effectively 24/7 but you can stick to your room if you want isolation.

Which leads me into the big negative of not just Rosebery, but all LSE halls: they’re located in central London and sometimes it’s hard to get some peace and tranquility without outright retreating to your room.

Thank your so much for answering!!! Absolutely helpful:smile:
I mean social life amongst the students living there.

I’d say Passfield and Rosebery probably have the same “social reputation” - if you like going out and such then you’d be fine at either.
Hi guys, me and a friend would like to be roommates at Rosebery and LSE says on the website that they can't guarantee to allocate us together...? How likely are we going to get the same room?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending