The Student Room Group

When to start preparing for LNAT

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You have until the 15th of January of your applicant cycle to complete the LNAT remember. I would start doing a little bit in over summer and then step it up (maybe an hour a day for the duration of September), then do it in October and have it out the way :smile:

I would be careful using resources; a lot of 'LNAT revision books' are full with extremely easy questions, this obviously won't prepare you very well for the test. That being said, I used Arbitio for mine (you have to pay £50) which gives you LNAT style essay questions to answer (they'll give you feedback on one included in the price), and I believe around 15 practice multiple choice tests. These multiple choice tests are extremely useful as they are harder than the real thing and although you can't 'revise' for the LNAT, you can certainly get used to the patterns in regard to finding the correct answers (sometimes you can find the answer without even knowing it, by method of elimination). I promise this isn't a paid promotion haha. If you can afford Arbitio, I definitely think its worth it :smile:

For reference, on Arbitio I scored between 18-25 on the tests (usually around 22) and got 27 in the real thing. Good luck!
Original post by Arisapo
It's only a part of your application so you have to remember that :smile:

I'd definitely apply to a mix of unis - I don't know if Bristol puts a set weighting per se and I wouldn't say any particular uni has a cut-off mark as it really depends year on year.

If you apply to say 3 LNAT unis you like and then 2 non LNAT, you should be covered :smile: Where you thinking?

I was thinking:
definitely Durham and Nottingham (As my lnat unis). Perhaps Bristol but I’d prefer a campus based/collegiate system. Gna visit it to see what it’s like anyway
Also Leeds/Manchester
For my safe option, Exeter

This may change when i visit them/do more research
:smile:
Original post by Fhutton17
You have until the 15th of January of your applicant cycle to complete the LNAT remember. I would start doing a little bit in over summer and then step it up (maybe an hour a day for the duration of September), then do it in October and have it out the way :smile:

I would be careful using resources; a lot of 'LNAT revision books' are full with extremely easy questions, this obviously won't prepare you very well for the test. That being said, I used Arbitio for mine (you have to pay £50) which gives you LNAT style essay questions to answer (they'll give you feedback on one included in the price), and I believe around 15 practice multiple choice tests. These multiple choice tests are extremely useful as they are harder than the real thing and although you can't 'revise' for the LNAT, you can certainly get used to the patterns in regard to finding the correct answers (sometimes you can find the answer without even knowing it, by method of elimination). I promise this isn't a paid promotion haha. If you can afford Arbitio, I definitely think its worth it :smile:

For reference, on Arbitio I scored between 18-25 on the tests (usually around 22) and got 27 in the real thing. Good luck!

Arbitio sounds better the more I hear about it! I’ll definitely invest in it xx
Yep haha im pretty happy with it so far
Original post by rose.obrien
I was thinking:
definitely Durham and Nottingham (As my lnat unis). Perhaps Bristol but I’d prefer a campus based/collegiate system. Gna visit it to see what it’s like anyway
Also Leeds/Manchester
For my safe option, Exeter

This may change when i visit them/do more research
:smile:

Those are some really good choices actually - balanced and a great selection.

They’re very similar to mine actually as I choose Durham, Nottingham, York, Newcastle and Exeter :smile:

Any of the ones you’ve chosen will put you in a good position and I wouldn’t even just consider Exeter a safe option as it’s a great law school and has a lovely campus.

Nottingham sounds like a great bet if you want a campus uni - the campus is lovely and it’s a well respected law school with a multitude of links. Looking like my first choice right now.

As for Bristol, that’s actually my hometown and I’ve lived here all my life and I know what an amazing city it is. If you have any questions about the city or uni I should be able to answer :smile:
Original post by Arisapo
Those are some really good choices actually - balanced and a great selection.

They’re very similar to mine actually as I choose Durham, Nottingham, York, Newcastle and Exeter :smile:

Any of the ones you’ve chosen will put you in a good position and I wouldn’t even just consider Exeter a safe option as it’s a great law school and has a lovely campus.

Nottingham sounds like a great bet if you want a campus uni - the campus is lovely and it’s a well respected law school with a multitude of links. Looking like my first choice right now.

As for Bristol, that’s actually my hometown and I’ve lived here all my life and I know what an amazing city it is. If you have any questions about the city or uni I should be able to answer :smile:

Thank u :smile:
I think notts is looking more and more appealing to me (prob won’t get into Durham lool) but yeah I have a few friends who go there and it looks lovelyy i agree
Exeter does look beautiful and looks like it’s got a strong course , i only really consider it a ‘back up’ cause of the high offer rate

About Bristol— two concerns are the drug use and the fact that it’s not on campus
Drug use is something I have overlooked cause Ik you get stuff like that at all unis, and ik I should find the crowd that suits me. Only really on my mind cause a family friend’s son passed away , which hits close to home cause u don’t expect stuff like that to happen to ppl close to u. But yeah, what’s your opinion/knowledge of the drug use??

About it being city based- do u think Bristol uni is situated so that the facilities enable u to easily keep in touch w ppl etc idk.. my main concern is if there will be a lack of community and it being generally harder to make/keep friendships. Do u know if it’s a big difference in general? And do u know if Bristol uni in particular is a good environment?

I have looked at photos of Bristol and it looks so beautiful, ur so lucky to live there haha
Hi! I see this is a bit old so I was wondering if you could tell me about you experience and when you did start studying (how much studying and how?) I am in year 12 now! Thanks
Original post by Arisapo
I disagree - the point of the test is something you’re not meant to revise for, it’s supposed to test your aptitude for law.
I don’t see any benefit in doing hours of practice as you’re wasting time which could be better spent elsewhere.
I did 1 practice test and got 26 in the real thing. If you’re naturally good at it, read tips and know the format you’ll be fine :smile:

this post was made very long ago but if you are still active do you have any tips? this is a great score!
Original post by sldkldsa
this post was made very long ago but if you are still active do you have any tips? this is a great score!

I know I'm not that user, but that point from them is silly. Some people will go into it already having the skills required for the LNAT, having had the chance to develop the skills, others will not have had the chance to be that analytical before. You need to demonstrate your potential, and by effectively not practicing, not trying in my eyes, you are not showing doing yourself any favours. The more practice questions, practice essays you do the more you get used to the question style, where they like to trick people out, the wide variety of sources. I got 30/42 (21 being the average this year). My tips would be to read questions carefully, do not be afraid to skip a question to come back to later, use proccess of elimination for the more difficult questions, and be ready to read random articles, one of mine was about Bob Marley. Good luck and hope this helps!
Original post by bartbart3
I know I'm not that user, but that point from them is silly. Some people will go into it already having the skills required for the LNAT, having had the chance to develop the skills, others will not have had the chance to be that analytical before. You need to demonstrate your potential, and by effectively not practicing, not trying in my eyes, you are not showing doing yourself any favours. The more practice questions, practice essays you do the more you get used to the question style, where they like to trick people out, the wide variety of sources. I got 30/42 (21 being the average this year). My tips would be to read questions carefully, do not be afraid to skip a question to come back to later, use proccess of elimination for the more difficult questions, and be ready to read random articles, one of mine was about Bob Marley. Good luck and hope this helps!

thank u so much for ur response!! a lot of people say “don’t revise” but this seems rlly hard to do especially as i want to be aiming for the 30+ scores. i understand the skills needed but i have done some american versions of the test “lsat” and i didn’t do very well at all so that’s why im worried about when to start
Original post by sldkldsa
thank u so much for ur response!! a lot of people say “don’t revise” but this seems rlly hard to do especially as i want to be aiming for the 30+ scores. i understand the skills needed but i have done some american versions of the test “lsat” and i didn’t do very well at all so that’s why im worried about when to start

I totally get it, on a residential in april last year we all did questions for LNAT and i didn’t do well. I started my prep in late august (as I had mine for October 7th due to being an early applicant) Just try not to stress urself out too much with scores, as you want to peak on the actual test not on mocks
Original post by bartbart3
I totally get it, on a residential in april last year we all did questions for LNAT and i didn’t do well. I started my prep in late august (as I had mine for October 7th due to being an early applicant) Just try not to stress urself out too much with scores, as you want to peak on the actual test not on mocks

i appreciate it so much thank u so much for timings and everything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending