The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mosesff
How about STEP?

How are you going to cope with STEP (even maths & FM) when you said you retook maths and only got a C ?
Reply 221
trance addict
How are you going to cope with STEP (even maths & FM) when you said you retook maths and only got a C ?

Wouldn't the chain, be likely to be....

mathematics>>>>further mathematics>>>>STEP

?

Did you mean STEP specimen papers?

Thanks.
Reply 222
mosesff
Hi,
Where can the 'specimen papers' be found?

Thanks,
mosesff.

On the maths department's website funnily enough
Can't you just do a bit of research yourself? It would be much easier and way more beneficial.
Reply 226
T-o dore

Those past papers appear to be for those who have studied above A level mathematics ability or have a good mathematical ability.

So, it is rather obvious that someone with a C grade would not be able to understand those without learning the basics, essentials and advanced topics covered in A-level mathematics.

Is that not correct?

Isn't the chain, as mentioned before, mathematics >> further mathematics >> STEP?

It is worth looking at the possibility, is it not?
Reply 227
T-o dore

Thanks...
mosesff
Those past papers appear to be for those who have above studied above A level mathematics ability or have a good mathematical ability.

They are for people who can get in to Cambridge.
Reply 229
T-o dore
They are for people who can get in to Cambridge.

Awesome, thanks.

Although the University of Oxford should look upon them favourably...

Correct?
:whip2: So many questions! What are you, a martian?
Reply 231
mosesff
Awesome, thanks.

Although the University of Oxford should look upon them favourably...

Correct?

Okay, because I'm sick of all the questions I'm going to be blunt.

You have a C in maths. This means you will not be able to cope with STEP. Sorry but you're being slightly overzealous here. STEP papers are the hardest papers there are; people who have perfect academic records in maths find them impossible. If they're part of the admissions process for your course you may as well just give up now.
Reply 233
Gooner
Okay, because I'm sick of all the questions I'm going to be blunt.

You have a C in maths. This means you will not be able to cope with STEP. Sorry but you're being slightly overzealous here. STEP papers are the hardest papers there are; people who have perfect academic records in maths find them impossible. If they're part of the admissions process for your course you may as well just give up now.

Need more posts like this. I like supporting the underdog most of the time, but this is getting ridiculous. There is no way you'll be able to cope with STEP, I don't want to sound like a **** but really OP for someone to get a C in GCSE maths (something natural mathematicians would get an A in with little to no revision) its pretty much impossible for you to go on and do further maths A-level and get an A in that, let alone attempt STEP papers. I just feel that you're clutching at straws and the way you come across is not that of a generally intelligent person. Honestly, if you stood a small chance I'd be the first to tell you to go for it, but the thing is you don't even have that.

I also remember you saying that you'd be willing to put in up to 3 years of work in order to gain the qualifications that you need in order to have a realistic chance of getting in- 3 years of your life is just not worth it.

Lastly, do you even have a clue what compsci is all about? Its not the IT you do at college, I can assure you of that.

Sorry to sound like a real **** and I would preferably not come across that way- but I just felt some people were being too nice without actually looking at your situation properly.

Im afraid 'anything' is not possible. Entrance to Cambridge for you may be fit in to this category.
Reply 235
its a :troll:
Reply 236
Spire
Need more posts like this. I like supporting the underdog most of the time, but this is getting ridiculous. There is no way you'll be able to cope with STEP, I don't want to sound like a **** but really OP for someone to get a C in GCSE maths (something natural mathematicians would get an A in with little to no revision) its pretty much impossible for you to go on and do further maths A-level and get an A in that, let alone attempt STEP papers. I just feel that you're clutching at straws and the way you come across is not that of a generally intelligent person. Honestly, if you stood a small chance I'd be the first to tell you to go for it, but the thing is you don't even have that.

I also remember you saying that you'd be willing to put in up to 3 years of work in order to gain the qualifications that you need in order to have a realistic chance of getting in- 3 years of your life is just not worth it.

Lastly, do you even have a clue what compsci is all about? Its not the IT you do at college, I can assure you of that.

Sorry to sound like a real **** and I would preferably not come across that way- but I just felt some people were being too nice without actually looking at your situation properly.

2 years for undergraduate.
3 years for the MSc.

Wouldn't you think it is a lot better if you read the earlier posts which indicated that the whole idea of the interest behind computers and pursuing it as an undergraduate course?

IT is not in any way affiliated with computer science, that is a fact.

You have been rather a '****' but what you were trying to indicate is the difficulty with a C grade.

Another point is a C grade does not constitute the inability to do something, rather it just outlines the performance and understanding at the specific time of the 2 hour/1 hour test.

If the person was to take the test again and do well in it, in say A level mathematics having gained a C grade in GCSE. This would be an achievement rather than something to be frowned upon.

You should perhaps think about that.

You could also think of it as if you studied the basics of GCSE yourself and went on to do many A levels and achieve a substantial grade. Along with this a retake of a GCSE and proving the circumstances at the time correct, if that A* grade at GCSE was not gained in a retake of another subject then it is of no interest and should void the application.

Although looking at circumstances of this should be important, as mentioned earlier poor performance of the schools, inability to perform in the certain subject and so on.

Although your advice can be of great help to someone who is an absolute bum and could not at all meet the basic requirements within reason.

Most of the points mentioned have been mentioned beforehand and they are of use because they actually constitute truth in this matter.

Thanks.
Right I'm closing this thread now.

OP, if you want anymore information then do your research first and come back with some proper questions, everyone has been very accommodating up to now but you also need to be able to research things on your own.

Latest

Trending

Trending