The Student Room Group

Loughborough or Birmingham for Mechanical Engineering

Hey everyone,

I am currently hesitating between firming Loughborough or Birmingham as my first choice for mechanical engineering. To help me I have been looking online at the rankings and I have noticed that often Loughborough is hegher in the UK rankings and Birmingham higher in the international ranking...

As my plan is to do my bachelors in one of these, then move on to doing my masters elsewhere and ultimately find a job in Paris (I want to live in France) I was wondering what you thought would be the best option for me, so basically which university has the best reputation in the UK and internationally.

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Tenix
Hey everyone,

I am currently hesitating between firming Loughborough or Birmingham as my first choice for mechanical engineering. To help me I have been looking online at the rankings and I have noticed that often Loughborough is hegher in the UK rankings and Birmingham higher in the international ranking...

As my plan is to do my bachelors in one of these, then move on to doing my masters elsewhere and ultimately find a job in Paris (I want to live in France) I was wondering what you thought would be the best option for me, so basically which university has the best reputation in the UK and internationally.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Tenix

It's a difficult decision and both unis are good. Loughborough have a great reputation for engineering and we have fantastic industry contacts and offer the opportunity of a placement year on every undergraduate course we offer.
The best starting point when comparing the two is compare the courses and see which offers you the best options that match your career aspirations. Then look at the extra-curricular activities and what each has to offer you. Look at locations - Birmingham is a city where as Loughborough is a town - does this make a difference to you? You're going to spend 3, 4 or even 5 years living there, so you want to be happy where you are.

If you need any specific information about Loughborough, just ask.

Which ever you choose you won't go far wrong.

Good luck with your decision :smile:

Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest