The Student Room Group

Am I completely doomed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Yuffie
To be completely honest I don't think so, no.
But being a student will be better than working. And my only passions are anthropology, music and videogames so for a job in one of those fields I'll have to go to uni I suppose. And if I'm too lazy to go to school what chance do I have of doing a low grade job I didn't need uni for.

As I've said before, there are always plenty of opportunities around.
Have you considered a gap year, as I previously mentioned, to sort out what you want from life?
tiz results that count at the end of the day...are you going to get your estimates? be as lazy as you want as long as you acheive...
Im a bit like this too while i dont miss lessons i got fed up of doing all the past papers that i was doing in maths as i knew i could do the exam then so i took to writing the papers in highliter to make it more interesting much to the annyance of the teacher but i still got 90%+ in them so i guess its all good
curiouslyorange1989
tiz results that count at the end of the day...are you going to get your estimates? be as lazy as you want as long as you acheive...

It's funny how much this annoys people who have to work really hard for their grades. (not me, I mean other people.)
Reply 64
Yuffie
Will uni be like this as well? Is it an inherent trait?

Don't do it at Uni, just don't. I've had to provide medical evidence to avoid getting kicked out just for missing 3/5 seminars (not assessed and basically just an informal discussion) in each of my modules. Late essays lose 5% a day and fail after 10. Scores under 40% fail (bearing in mind that 70 is a first)
Reply 65
ur doomed :eek:
Reply 66
I am sorry but Jesus christ will people please calm down a little.
ts not about the class, its about the love of learning. even then, I may not care as much about some aspects of these subjects as my original but they are what you need to do to move on. being left behind isnt fun.
saying that, my best friend did not turn up at all for her classes and got straight A's. sadly work put in doesn't always=output. they're the breaks.
do what you need to. if you get the grades anyway then you have a gift, might as well use it at uni. just dont take it too much for granted in case things go the wrong way

EDIT=coffee syndrome again folks. its a forum, not my autobiography. one day however...
i looks like my year 8 and 9 report!!!! no...wait....i wasn't predicted As or Bs in anything :biggrin:

thankfully your effort grade isn't included (well to an extent anyway), but if you have those grades then you must be doing something right. and your parents don't have to see. just don't mention it.
Reply 68
Hahaha :lol:. Don't do the work, and then kvetch when you get naff grades. Wake up, you've got to study to get anywhere. I learned the hard way. Left school with 5 GCSEs, redid one because it was a core subject, got kicked out of sixthform for a lack of effort. I could go on. Maybe you're not as interested in the work you've got as you need to be; work doesn't seem hard if you enjoy it, only a challenge. I did engineering and maths stuff, to find out that what I really enjoy is music, so I took up an instrument and promptly learned about 15 years' worth of stuff in 18 months. If you're genuinely interested in a subject, you'll do it - whether you need to or not.
I don't really see the problem, to be honest, Who cares what your effort grades are? You're predicted AAB, you'll be fine. Once you've got your grades, then stop and think about what you actually want to do with your life.

A lot of people don't like to admit this, but quite often it is possible to get great A-levels with hardly any work. Several people in my year did it. A lot of people also get 2:1s at uni without working consistently throughout the year, and just cramming at the end. All that really matters at the end of it all is the grade.

We live in a results-obssessed society. No employer will ever look at your school report. They will look at what grades you got, that's all that matters really. If you can't beat them, join them.

Oh and also, to those who are saying if she doesn't really want to go to uni and doesn't have a real passion for her subject she shouldn't go. Come on. What percentage of uni students actually do? I think very, very few.

It seems to me that you do the bare minimum required to get what you need. I suspect you'll carry on doing this your entire life. It's not that big a deal. A lot of people do it.
blinkbelle
I honestly can't be bothered with this topic anymore. You have such a bad attitude. I can only assume you've had everything given to you on a plate in life and so you don't know the meaning of hard work.
If you don't put the effort in, you don't get anything out. You might feel fine about it, because you're going to be a kept woman, but I can't condone such behaviour.
Either pull your finger out or stop complaining. Its pathetic.

But that's just the thing...the way this system works is nothing like that. In an ideal world that's how it would be...but it's not.
I believe in karma. Lazy people will get what's coming eventually.
Hint: Just get on at do the work. Your report suggests the teachers think your talented, imagine what your work could be like if you put effort into it.
Hard work pays off. If you want to go to uni, you need to pull your weight and aim high.
Reply 73
Yuffie
I'm really worrying though. I've never seen Es in a report before :s-smilie:

Then attend your lessons? How could you expect to miss lessons and get high effort grades?

I've seen this with so many of my naturally clever friends, because they don't NEED to attend lessons they don't, but still get the grades.

You don't have to be like this, our behaviour isn't set until the end, you can change if you want to. Maybe this can help to motivate you.
It does annoy me, people who are good at something but don't put the effort in. I have a few friends who try really hard, but just scrape passes or fail. One particular guy is trying desperately to get the grades to scrape into college with an idea to go to uni after that, hopefully. I really admire people who aren't good at something but still try and try.
fisherman
It does annoy me, people who are good at something but don't put the effort in. I have a few friends who try really hard, but just scrape passes or fail. One particular guy is trying desperately to get the grades to scrape into college with an idea to go to uni after that, hopefully. I really admire people who aren't good at something but still try and try.

I do agree with you that it's sad it works like that, but looking at it from the point of view of people who don't have to work so hard, you have to admit there's not really much point in trying really really hard to get a grade that you could have got anyway with hardly any effort.
fisherman

Yeah i agree with you on that.

Look, if you want to get a good report, put the effort in. Its only down to you at the end of the day.
Reply 77
Yuffie
Just got my report through the post. Thank GOD my mum was out. It has to be the worst thing I've ever seen:

Attendance- 104 sessions out of 277
Lates- 68

Detentions - 0 (I assume I wasn't in to receive them)

English Language - Estimated Grade: B, Effort: E
The situation is critical. Virginia continues to raise stress in the English faculty due to her reluctance/wilful refusal to hand in work. She has thus far failed to hand in her investigation coursework. Without this coursework she will simply fail this subject at A Level. Virginia is outrageously talented. Why should time management and organisation be beyond her control? Come on Virginia!

English Literature - Estimated Grade: A, Effort: D
She is an able and intelligent pupil with an enquiring mind capable of close analysis and critical judgment. She writes fluently and accurately and to tackle texts in an inventive and unique manner that is lively yet remains eminently academic. She still owes major coursework and has not handed in a single essay over the course of the year. There are huge gaps in her knowledge due to her attendance.

Politics - Estimated Grade: A, Effort: E
Virginia continues to provide surprises! Despite having a very poor record of attendance throughout the year she is sitting on an A Grade at AS level but this will not be transformed into an A at A Level unless she generates a thorough set of revision notes. She is desperately short of essay writing practise, having failed to submit a single piece of homework throughout year 13.

So am I doomed to being like this all my life?
Do I have a personality problem?
A problem with laziness. Is anyone else like me?

Yes; yes; and yes. At best you'll maintain those grades (and that work-ethic) through to A2, secure a place on one of the most competitive and prestigious courses available anywhere, then drop-out because you have no idea what you want to do with your life (if anything).

Though I took History rather than English Language.
Bagration
It's funny how much this annoys people who have to work really hard for their grades. (not me, I mean other people.)

lol i know what you mean, i think they see it as sort of belittlement of their acheivements in some wierd roundabout way. :s-smilie:

but iv always seen it as you should look out for number one and only put in as much effort as you need to...
Reply 79
How can you be predicted an A grade without handing in most of your work :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending