The Student Room Group

To do the PGCE or not? Life after graduation!

I graduated last July with a First in French and Spanish, and straight after I got a CELTA certificate.
I enjoyed the CELTA training (although it was incredibly stressful) and the teaching I did in Spain during my ERASMUS year, and now I'm considering doing a PGCE Secondary in MFL.
It would give me the opportunity to use both of my languages every day, have a decent pension, learn and develop, meet interesting new people, earn a good salary, have a lot of holiday, teach in international schools (my partner is Italian so moving to Italy is definitely a strong option in the future) and of course, I'd be able to help and inspire the kids, to see that moment where a concept finally clicks, or to encourage interest in what I'm passionate about...

BUT...I have a lot of doubts, ranging from serious to probably quite trivial things. My biggest worry is about the workload. I want to be able to go home and work maybe just 3 hours more, and then stop until the next day, with weekends and holidays relatively free so that I can spend time with my partner, family, and do my hobbies. I'm quite terrified of aggressive kids and their parents yelling at me for things outside of my control and being constantly pressured by the higher ups, or of possible redundancy when there's a further decline in the amount of students who want to study languages. I'm also a bit anxious about having my public freedom restricted. I'm not one for clubbing or wearing 'revealing' clothing much, but it bothers me that if I want to do that, or even just act silly with my boyfriend in town, that I can't for fear of being spotted. And then of course there are all of the PGCE students or qualified teachers who are leaving the profession or being signed off sick...

I suppose I want to know if it's worth it, and if I drop out how damaging it would look on my CV, whether or not the PGCE looks impressive to any sort of employer, and what alternatives there are to teaching for MFL graduates.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am so utterly lost right now and it's driving me nuts and is on my mind every single day, so if anyone can offer any sort of guidance or speak of their own experiences, please do!
Original post by Megwen2323

BUT...I have a lot of doubts, ranging from serious to probably quite trivial things. My biggest worry is about the workload. I want to be able to go home and work maybe just 3 hours more, and then stop until the next day, with weekends and holidays relatively free so that I can spend time with my partner, family, and do my hobbies. Unfortunately, this is unlikely during your PGCE year especially- I usually work at least one full day at the weekends. You'll also have time taken up with assignments in the holidays and general PGCE admin type stuff. The NQT year is also hard work, but I'm told things do get less intense after this. I'm quite terrified of aggressive kids and their parents yelling at me for things outside of my control and being constantly pressured by the higher ups, This definitely isn't the norm in most UK schools. You will have some difficult kids to deal with, but the ones who are actively aggressive (instead of defiant/rude/"don't care") are rare, and aggressive parents are even rarer. As a PGCE student, your school will protect you from very difficult parents to a certain extent anyway. or of possible redundancy when there's a further decline in the amount of students who want to study languages. This is unfortunately a definite possibility, but equally languages is a shortage subject and many language teachers are from the EU, so may choose to leave over the next year or so. I'm also a bit anxious about having my public freedom restricted. I'm not one for clubbing or wearing 'revealing' clothing much, but it bothers me that if I want to do that, or even just act silly with my boyfriend in town, that I can't for fear of being spotted. As long as you don't live where you work, this will be pretty rare. I have all my social media locked down, but I do go on nights out etc. I've never been "spotted" by a student in "real life" yet. And then of course there are all of the PGCE students or qualified teachers who are leaving the profession or being signed off sick... It's definitely a tough course/career, and it's not for everyone- and unfortunately you can't really know for sure how you'll cope until you try it.

Hi

I've added some comments to your concerns in bold. I think some of them are realistic, but others are probably less so.

It does sound like you're mainly considering teaching because you're not really sure what else you would do- and I do think that could be a recipe for failure if your heart isn't really in it and you have lots of concerns.

You can do a PGCE at any time, so why not look at working in some other fields first? You may find something that suits you a lot better than teaching, or you may not- in which case you can come back to it in a few years time.

Alternatively, why not try getting some work experience in a UK state school, as this might reassure you about some of your worries?
Original post by Megwen2323
BUT...I have a lot of doubts, ranging from serious to probably quite trivial things. My biggest worry is about the workload. I want to be able to go home and work maybe just 3 hours more, and then stop until the next day, with weekends and holidays relatively free so that I can spend time with my partner, family, and do my hobbies. I'm quite terrified of aggressive kids and their parents yelling at me for things outside of my control and being constantly pressured by the higher ups, or of possible redundancy when there's a further decline in the amount of students who want to study languages. I'm also a bit anxious about having my public freedom restricted. I'm not one for clubbing or wearing 'revealing' clothing much, but it bothers me that if I want to do that, or even just act silly with my boyfriend in town, that I can't for fear of being spotted. And then of course there are all of the PGCE students or qualified teachers who are leaving the profession or being signed off sick...

Lots of doubts indeed. Regarding the workload - yes, it is brutish. Here I am in the Easter holidays and I have 15 controlled assessments to mark, where each takes around 30 minutes to mark. I also have to plan my first week back after the hols :-(

That said, a lot of teachers stay behind after school to get their work done. If you worked till 5 each evening you would be free for the rest of the evening and you have the equivalent of an 8-5 job. That said, teaching 5 hours is not equivalent to an 8 hour office day. You will be drained. Something to think about.

As for behaviour. Yes, there will always be behaviour. But pick your school. There are some people who revel in working in a tough inner city school. That said, because so much of your energy is spent on relationships and behaviour management, less is spent on teaching and targets so it is swings and roundabouts. But pick your school. You will also be taught to behaviour manage. It takes time. I am two years in now and slowly getting into the swing of things.

As for redundancy, that is a risk whatever you do. Yes the pension is good and the pay is ok and the holidays are superb, but then you are always holidaying in prime time so it is swings and roundabouts. You also need the hols to recover.

If in doubt, why not take some time out. Experience the word. Experience a dull mindless job with 20 days holiday a year, or accidentally stumble on your dream career. Teaching as an option will always be there no matter what stage of life you are in. I can't help but feel grads who throw themselves into teaching are missing out as the only experience they have ever had in life is that of school and education.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending